Picking Cotton: Our Memoir of Injustice and…

Picking Cotton: Our Memoir of Injustice and Redemption

by Jennifer Thompson-Cannino

1972159,319 (4.11)6

Excellent book and a very different type of memoir regarding innocent prisoners and rape victims. Jennifer and Ronald seem to have a very unique relationship. I also found her take on the death of the man who actually raped her just mind-blowing! I don't think I would have been able to do that! Wish I'd known about this book sooner so I could have included it in an essay a few months back. ( )
  briannad84 | Sep 4, 2013 |
I am an attorney, and as an attorney you are taught to marshal the facts you have before you and organize them into a cogent argument for your position. That is what the prosecutor in this book did. However, this tunnel visioned manner of carrying out justice resulted in a man who was innocent being incarcerated for 11 years. This book is dually narrated by Ron Cotton, the man who was wrongfully incarcerated, and Jennifer Thompson, a woman who was raped and was certain that Cotton was the one who did this to her.
I was really moved to see how these two people built a friendship across a boundary that seems insurmountable. So often in life you become angry at someone who you feel has wronged you and come to a place where you think you can never forgive. It is quite a lesson to try to understand how Ron Cotton could forgive Jennifer Thompson for supplying the erroneous eye witness testimony.
I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in the criminal justice system as well as anyone who is interested in developing their ability to forgive. ( )
  elmoelle | Aug 9, 2013 |
This one will make you think. ( )
  LNBRNS | Mar 29, 2013 |
Community Reads book here in SE Michigan. ( )
  medixon | Oct 15, 2012 |
This is a compelling story about a rape, a wrongful conviction, correction and redemption. The writing is a bit choppy as the ghost writer was working with the words and memories of Jennifer and Ron as they remembered the events of the story.
It's an important story that needs to be related and discussed to help all of us understand the inherent limitations of our criminal justice system. ( )
  tangledthread | Oct 3, 2012 |
Ronald Cotton stands a few rows behind Jennifer Thompson-Cannino, watching as she cranes her head trough the crowd, looking for him among the faces of the parents who have come out to watch their children play soccer.

Jennifer Thompson was raped at knifepoint by a man who broke into her apartment while she slept. She was able to escape, and eventually positively identified Ronald Cotton as her attacker. Ronald insisted that she was mistaken-- but Jennifer's positive identification was the compelling evidence that put him behind bars. After eleven years, Ronald was allowed to take a DNA test that proved his innocence. He was released, after serving more than a decade in prison for a crime he never committed. Two years later, Jennifer and Ronald met face to face-- and forged an unlikely friendship that changed both of their lives.

In their own words, Jennifer and Ronald unfold the harrowing details of their tragedy, and challenge our ideas of memory and judgment while demonstrating the profound nature of human grace and the healing power of forgiveness.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:56 -0400)

The story behind the unlikely friendship which developed between the accused rapist Ronald Cotton--who served eleven years in prison for a crime he didn't commit--and his accuser, Jennifer Thompson, raped at knifepoint by a man who broke into her apartment while she slept.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,559,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible