The Long Fall by Walter Mosley

The Long Fall (edition 2009)

by Walter Mosley

Title:The Long Fall
Authors:Walter Mosley
Info:Riverhead Hardcover (no date), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Read in 2009, Read but unowned
Tags:Fiction, Mystery, Race Relations, New York City, ARC, @T, 999 Challenge, 2009

The Long Fall by Walter Mosley

English (31)  Danish (2)  All languages (33)
Mosley;s characters, no matter how improbable to a middle-class retiree, ring true. His dialogue, no matter how didactic, works. His mix of small detail, no matter how forced, works. This book burns through too quickly. It was not written to ponder, but to sprint. I wish I had a low gear I could force when reading. ( )
  kerns222 | Aug 24, 2016 |
Leonid McGill (LT) is a private investigator who used to work for gansters but changed his ways and now does legitimate work. His current job is to find 4 men who were friends as teenagers, which he does. Then, each friend is getting murdered one-by-one. LT has a conscious now and has to investigate why. In the meantime, a gangster asks him to do a job and doesn't want to take no for an answer. Then he finds out his son is planning to help out a girlfriend whose father has been sexually abusing her. The son is planning to kill the father. LT has a lot to deal with.

There was a lot going on in this book and at times was a bit confusing with quite a few different characters. However, LT has a good heart despite the bad past. He's funny at times when he uses a fake name and occupation to help him get to the information he needs. He often quotes his communist father's philosophy which LT always disagrees with. He's tough when he needs to be and keeps up with his training as a boxer to be able to back up the toughness. Overall, I enjoyed LT and his ups and downs as a PI and in his personal life. ( )
  gaylebutz | Jun 1, 2016 |
I've only read one other book by Walter Mosley that I can recall, The Man in my Basement. I enjoyed it greatly, and wanted to pick up some more books by him, but there are so many books, and so little time.

I found this gem alredy in my bookcase, probably from some long-ago sale. Once again, my instincts for good writing came through.

This is the first of the Leonid McGill series, and I can't wait to get some more of them. Mosley brings to life a private eye that should be washed up: almost sixty, in a loveless marriage, trying to stay out of real trouble, raising 3 kids, two of whom he knows aren't his. McGill should be looking forward to death, by most standards. Yet Mosley shows the reader that the spark of life need not fade, even as the fear of Judgment looms.

Mosley has also done a great job of drawing the secondary characters, his "son" Twill and his lover Aura. And the specter of McGill's father, long gone, lives large in his son's mind day to day.

We spend a lot of time in McGill's mind, and it's a fascinating place. I look forward to visiting it again soon. ( )
  LauraCerone | May 26, 2016 |
This book is an amazing first-installment of what I hope will be a long series. ( )
  kristina_brooke | Apr 15, 2016 |
This is Mosley near the top of his form, creating a new character with such a complete back story that it's hard to remember this is the first time we've met Leonid McGill. McGill is a tough black PI with some heavy baggage: a communist upbringing, a wife he doesn't love, 3 kids who aren't all his blood, a none-too-pure past, and a death on his conscience. The latter has pushed him to a decision to go "straight", setting him and us up for a classic noir journey through the underworld as Leonid struggles to be upright in a profession that rarely makes that easy. Robert B. Parker called this book "quite simply splendid", which is perfectly fitting, since Parker's Spenser had that white hat gig sewed up for such a long time. McGill is more complicated, less predictable than Spenser; Mosley's prose is denser, much less dialog-driven, and he requires more of the reader than Parker did. But anyone who appreciated Spenser's unwavering adherence to his "code" is going to love watching McGill try to "get there". Live long and write, Mr. Mosley.

Review written in September, 2014 ( )
  laytonwoman3rd | May 7, 2015 |
In memory of St. Clair Bourne, documentarian extraordinaire
"I'm sorry, Mr. um?..." the skinny receptionist said.

Leonid McGill, a New York City private detective, tries to put his past life behind him. But it's not that easy when someone like Tony "The Suit" Towers expects you to do a job; when an Albany PI hires you to track down four men known only by their youthful street names; and when your 16-year-old son, Twill, is getting in over his head with a suicidal girl.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,793,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible