I Know It's Over by C. K. Kelly Martin

I Know It's Over

by C. K. Kelly Martin

I'm not sure what to say about this book. I didn't *enjoy* it; it's a first person narrative about heartbreak and teen pregnancy, and not the sort of book that you read for fun. I appreciate the perspective that the boy is also a parent in this situation, the struggle between an emerging adult and his/her parents, and the difficulties he faces about recognizing the limits of his say in how to cope with an unintended pregnancy...

At the same time, I felt like I wanted footnotes and evidence. I wasn't sure whether to believe the narrator. I'd LIKE to think that teenage boys have this complexity of interior life. I'd like to hope that my own boys would be as responsible about any similar situation. But in the end I find myself as a woman reading another woman's work, imagining what the boy would be thinking, and questioning how valid our conversation is. If only I could find a boy to read this and give me another opinion.
  onthequest | Jun 2, 2010 |
I Know It's Over is the second book about teenage pregnancy from a guy's perspective that I've read (the first Slam by Nick Hornby), and I enjoyed this one more. I'm sure that there are people who would disagree, but in my opinion this one is better.

I think that part of the reason is that Nick seemed like a very real guy to me. His actions didn't seem forced and some of the things that he did he really didn't have an explanation for. Isn't that true in real life? I also liked how even though this book had teenage pregnancy in it, it wasn't about teenage pregnancy. It was about the relationship between Nick and Sasha, and pregnancy happened to be a part of it.

One thing that I didn't really like about it was that sometimes the scene changes were a little confusing. One sentence they were in a car, the next they were out and the only thing to suggest that was a little sentence in between. Somehow I've made a habit of sometimes skipping those little sentences (I know, I know) and there were quite a few times when I really wasn't sure where the characters were.

Overall this book is the best book with teenage pregnancy in it that I've read. I think that even if you don't think that you'll like it just because it has pregnancy in it, you will. ( )
  book_worm127 | Apr 9, 2010 |
C.K. Kelly Martin's story of a teenage couple's rise, fall and the consequences of the choices they made together. Nick is an ordinary enough teenage boy, dating the girls who allow him to fool around but never quite let him go all the way. He then meets Sasha, who he finds himself falling for and sharing an entirely different kind of connection with, leading to his becoming faithful to her and pursuing a summertime romance together. Nick begins to push Sasha for more from their relationship on a physical side, eventually ended up in the two becoming sexually active and an unintended pregnancy. Sasha discovers this a month after she decides to take a break from Nick to allow her to focus on school and other aspects of her life.

Told from the first-person perspective of Nick, the story is a fascinating and frightening one all at the same time. Nick's voice is an authentic one and it will ring true to any of us who have been a hormonally imbalanced teenager. The story is one of two people who are forced to grow up early because of their decisions and, on that level, it works fairly well. The story may be frightening to parents of teens when the attitudes toward the physical side of a teenage romance are revealed. It's certainly eye opening and it could create some interesting conversations.

However, the book falls apart because while Nick and Sasha are well drawn, the rest of the supporting cast is a bit too cliched and familiar. Nick's estranged parents, his sister and Sasha's family are only here to serve one role and rarely become more than simple caricatures for one viewpoint or another. Nick's father's casual attitude toward his son's increasing sexual activity is that he gives Nick money for condoms and then is upset later that Nick didn't follow his advice. It seems a bit cavalier from Nick's father and doesn't make the character come off well. ( )
  bigorangemichael | Feb 25, 2010 |
An intimate, insightful look at a boy in love / lust with a girl he can't really have, Nick is an athlete, popular and good-looking and he's had some sexual experiences with others, including Dani (who still torches) but he wants the aloof Sasha. To complicate matters, their brief relationship results in an unplanned pregnancy (the condom breaks). Sasha chooses abortion (off-scene) and Nick is left at the end of the book trying to work past the pain . Other side plots: Nick's best friend is gay and Nick hooks up with another friend's young cousin. ( )
  mjspear | Oct 27, 2009 |
Reviewed by Breanna F. for TeensReadToo.com

Nick plans on having a long, carefree summer with no distractions and no problems. What with his parents' divorce and his father's new girlfriend, Nick needs all the downtime he can get. Even the girl he's seeing (Dani) is starting to get to him. The girl is up for anything, but for some reason Nick just doesn't seem that in to it anymore.

But Nick's summer plans of carefree go out the window when Sasha shows up. She's been going to school with him for as long as he can remember. They've just never really talked to each other. One day they do, and suddenly something starts. Sasha is totally different than Dani and isn't about to do anything sexual quite so fast. But Nick and Sasha start getting hot and heavy by the time fall rolls around. And then Sasha breaks it off, saying that she wants to be able to concentrate on school and getting into the best college. Nick is crushed, but there's not much he can do.

Then, on Christmas Eve, Sasha shows up out of nowhere and tells Nick that she's pregnant. Sure, they were always careful and used protection, but one time something happened. Neither one of them thought much about it at the time, but now they're over-analyzing the night. Sasha is hesitant about her decision regarding the baby. After she tells her parents, she decides on an abortion, and doesn't really let Nick have much say. Nick, being so mixed up about the whole situation, really wishes Sasha would talk to him more and let him be involved. But the truth is that they could never really have a relationship again, even with the baby.

With the help of his gay best friend (Nathan) and his other best friend (Keelor), Nick manages to make it through this whole fiasco. But will he ever have another chance with Sasha? And what will Sasha's final choice about the baby be?

First off, I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone under the age of seventeen due to the sexual scenes and the topic of pregnancy and all. That said, though, this was such a great read. I loved how it was told from the guy's point of view, which we hardly ever get to see. I felt so bad for Nick from the very beginning. Of course, my heart went out to Sasha, as well.

C.K. Kelly Martin is such a strong writer and this was an amazing book. Her words just jumped off the page to me. I loved Nick's attitude and actions, along with Sasha's. And Nick's younger 14-going-on-30 sister was great. Basically, I loved everything about this book except for the ending. It was okay; I just kind of wanted it to end differently!

But anyway, definitely pick up a copy of this book when it's released. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. And I really hope the author writes another book soon! ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 11, 2009 |
The first time Sasha lay spread across my bed, I felt like the world had changed.

PURE. UNPLANNED. PERFECT. Those were Nick’s summer plans before Sasha stepped into the picture. With the collateral damage from his parents’ divorce still settling and Dani (his girl of the moment) up for nearly anything, complications are the last thing he needs. All that changes, though, when Nick runs into Sasha at the beach in July. Suddenly he’s neck-deep in a relationship and surprised to find he doesn’t mind in the least. But Nick’s world shifts again when Sasha breaks up with him. Then, weeks later, while Nick’s still reeling from the breakup, she turns up at his doorstep and tells him she’s pregnant. Nick finds himself struggling once more to understand the girl he can’t stop caring for, the girl who insists that it’s still over.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:51 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Nick, still trying to come to terms with his parents' divorce, experiences exhiliration and despair in his relationship with his girlfriend Sasha especially when, after instigating a trial separation, she announces that she is pregnant.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,328,443 books! | Top bar: Always visible