Buried Strangers: A Chief Inspector Mario…

Buried Strangers: A Chief Inspector Mario Silva Investigation (edition 2009)

by Leighton Gage

Collections:Your library (inactive)
Rating:***
Tags:2012, mystery, Brazil

Buried Strangers by Leighton Gage

English (9)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (11)
Buried Strangers by Leighton Gage is the second book in his crime series that features Chief Inspector Mario Silva. While this book did not grab me in the same way as the first did, I still found enough of interest to keep me quite happy about continuing on with the series. In this outing, a unmarked burial site is discovered, and the bodies seem to be buried in family groups. When the bodies are discovered to have been cut open medically, Mario and his team of federal police must set out to discover what has happened to these people.

The author sets his mystery against the vivid backdrop of modern day Brazil. The reader learns of it’s history, it’s political standards and the general atmosphere of the country. I found there was more humor in this second book, and although the subject matter was just as gruesome, it had an overall lighter feeling. There is a realistic feeling to the story which I appreciated. For example, while Mario is the main character, the crimes were mostly being investigated by the other team members which made perfect sense given that Mario is based in the capitol city of Brasilia whereas the crimes were committed in the city of Sao Paulo and also, his rank of Chief Inspector would assure that most of the legwork would be done by his staff.

It may seem strange to be learning about a country by reading of it’s criminals but I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend these books to anyone who is interested in learning about Brazil. Getting to read a good mystery is an added bonus. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jan 26, 2016 |
Very interesting crime novel with an exotic location (Brazil) and a gritty feel. Lots of corruption. Entertaining and I'll definitely check out the rest of the series. ( )
  jerhogan | Jul 7, 2014 |
Second in the Chief Inspector Mario Silva series of the Brasilian Federal Police.

I’ve spent a good deal of time in Brasil, staying, for periods ranging from 6 weeks to 3 months, with either poor families or with Catholic missionaries. During every visit, I heard rumors of street kids disappearing, victims, my Brasilian friends insisted, of the traffic in organ transplants. Gage has written a chilling novel involving that trade.

One of the strengths of Gage’s strong writing is the atmosphere of authenticity he gives to his locales. They feel “right”, and his characters behave as Brasilians, and are thoroughly believable. Brasil is a violent country, and what Gage describes is not exaggerated.

Gage writes very dark police procedurals indeed; they are very well written, fast-paced, powerful. But be prepared for the violence.

According to Gage, who in his notes talks about the rumors of trade in organ transplants, they’ve never been confirmed. I found the same thing; no one could ever come up with proof that it existed. But the rumors persist.

Highly recommended with the qualification that the violence level is high. ( )
  Joycepa | Aug 2, 2011 |
When an errant dog unwittingly discovers a mass unmarked burial site, Chief Inspector Mario Silva of the Brazilian Federal Police and his associates are called upon to help investigate. The clues include families buried together and missing families from poor sections of the city. Initial leads seem to point toward a cult, but his boss Nelson Sampaio discourages Silva from pursuing the case further in favor of gathering dirt on a political opponent. However, Silva ignores him and keeps looking into the matter on the sly.

Meanwhile, a local cop Yoshiro Tanaka pursues his own investigation with something a little less noble than seeking justice in mind, only to pay for it. Silva learns of this and sends Agente Arnaldo Nunes to follow up on where Tanaka went and see where it leads. Turns out to be pretty dangerous.

Read the entire review at http://thebookgrrl.blogspot.com/2011/01/corruption-is-unearthed-in-buried.html ( )
  infogirl2k | Jan 15, 2011 |
First Line: "Somewhere around here," Hans said, swinging his flashlight beam from the dark tunnel in front of them toward the thick wall of vegetation on the right.

When Herbert the Escape Artist (AKA an Old English Sheepdog) proudly brings back a human bone and waits for praise, the police are called instead. There, in a rain forest twenty kilometers from São Paulo, police find a clandestine cemetery. And another. The corpses of hundreds of human beings-- often interred in family groups-- have been secretly buried.

This is a case that Chief Inspector Mario Silva can become very passionate about, since he lost his only child to leukemia when his son was eight years old. But there's a problem named Nelson Sampaio who just so happens to be Silva's boss. Sampaio is one of those political appointees with his eye on promotion, and he is absolutely convinced that another politico is sabotaging him. To Sampaio, nothing is more important than Silva digging up the dirt on his nemesis. Does this bother Silva? No. One of the delights of this series has turned out to be watching the machinations of Silva as he circumvents the human obstacles in his way in order to do what must be done.

Although the first book in the series, the excellent Blood of the Wicked was a bit heavy-handed with torture, this second book deals more with the interactions between the characters and is laced with humor. As Silva and his team slowly piece together tiny clues, the reason for the mass graves becomes horrifyingly clear.The extra dashes of humor were welcome intervals between corrupt cops and politicians and secret cemeteries.

With just two books, this series has become one of my favorites because of the strength of its characters, its strong sense of place, its powerful plots... and its ability, not only to educate me about an unfamiliar part of the world, but to leave me with a sense of outrage over injustice. What am I outraged over? I don't want to say very much because I don't believe in spoiling the plot for people who haven't read the book. I'll just say that cattle in Brazil have more documentation than many of its two-legged citizens.

Entertaining, educational, emotional. Haven't read a book written by Leighton Gage?

Why? ( )
  cathyskye | Aug 26, 2010 |

In Sao Paulo, Brazil, Chief Inspector Mario Silva of the federal police based in Brasilia and his team of investigators, Hector Costa and Arnaldo Nunes, are called in to investigate a mass murder--an investigation which starts on the grounds of a clandestine cemetery filled with the disposed bodies of unknown human beings having been interred in family groups.… (more)

Leighton Gage is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,468,534 books! | Top bar: Always visible