Tinkers by Paul Harding

Tinkers

by Paul Harding

Ancient Oceans of Central Kentucky by David Connerley Nahm (HeathMochaFrost)
    HeathMochaFrost: I just finished Ancient Oceans, and the writing kept reminding me of Tinkers. The characters, location, situations, all of these are different, but many readers who enjoyed the writing style of Tinkers might like this one as well. It's from a small press so it's harder to find, but it's certainly worth it.… (more)
    Gilead by Marilynne Robinson (Anonymous user, DetailMuse)
    The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields (Miels)
    Miels: Similar prose style and similar emphasis on social isolation.
    Evening by Susan Minot (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Both begin with a dying protagonist who clings to a memory of the past. In Minot's book, it has to do with an affair that may have been her true love.
    The Driftless Area by Tom Drury (speakfreelynow)

English (177)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All (183)
This is an interesting, well written novel about a dying man and his father. The story, particularly in the 1st chapter, rather jarringly shifts between George (the dying guy's recollections) and Harry's story years earlier. The novel reflects on mortality and the broken relationship of father and son. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
George, an old man, lies dying. As he dos so, we see glimpses of his memories, and of the memories of his father, who was a tinker selling household goods from a mule cart in the backwoods in the early 20th century. We also get complex, oblique philosophical musings and poetic thoughts and vivid images, some hyper-realistic, some strangely hallucinatory.

The whole thing seems like it should feel annoyingly disjointed and obscure. But holy crap did it work. There's just something about the writing. I don't know what, and I don't understand how. But you just want to to sink into it, to roll your brain around and around in it until your cortex is saturated with prose.

Well, I did, anyway. And I read it under very non-ideal circumstances. I think this is the kind of book you really want to read in one or two big chunks, on a quiet day when you're feeling focused. And I was the exact opposite of that: sleep-deprived, distracted, frequently interrupted. And it still had that effect on me.

I'm not much of a re-reader, in general, but I think this is one I'm going to want to come back to sometime. It feels like there's probably always going to be more to get out of it, always going to be sentences worth savoring again. ( )
  bragan | May 22, 2017 |
Extremely well written novel of a father and son told through the last hours of a dying man's memories of life, it's harshness and joys.
Although the writing is tremendous I did find myself skipping paragraphs and struggling to hold onto interest in this book. ( )
  Smits | Apr 18, 2017 |
Tinkers is a haunting little book that weaves together the story of George Crosby, who is dying, with the story of his father, Howard Crosby. As George lies hallucinating, he tries to untangle the threads of his youth and finally come to grips with the enigma that is his father. Howard is an epileptic at a time in history when being so gets one labeled "insane." He suffers under that burden and finds a way of dealing with it that will haunt his son forever. Paul Harding writes like no one you've ever read: lyrical, poetic, spare, and lush.
Recommended by Dianah, Powell's City of Books ( )
  ConsortiumLibrary | Feb 20, 2017 |
Fascinating. I learned a lot about repair of clocks, and how epilepsy feels to the person having an attack. I would probably not bother to read it again, but I did enjoy it.

(I read this about the same time I read The Art of Fielding, which I just reviewed when it showed up on my recommendations. And was reminded of this one, too.) ( )
  CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |
"There are few perfect debut American novels. Walter Percy's The Moviegoer and Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird come to mind. So does Marilynne Robinson's Housekeeping. To this list ought to be added Paul Harding's devastating first book, Tinkers, the story of a dying man drifting back in time to his hardscrabble New England childhood, growing up the son of his clock-making father. Harding has written a masterpiece around the truism that all of us, even surrounded by family, die alone."

The occasional overwriting, the looping narrative, and the almost defiant lack of plot made this a hard book to sell to publishers. An array of editors at major houses rejected the novel, no doubt afraid it would never sell. It apparently sat for several years in the writer's desk. Then an obscure house, the Bellevue Literary Press, published it to such little fanfare that the New York Times (like most papers) ignored it completely. Then, miracle of miracles, it won the Pulitzer.
added by _eskarina | editThe Guardian, Jay Parini (Sep 25, 2010)

Among the many triumphs of this novel, Harding enables a reader to look at the world differently, without the things that normally encumber experience. Tinkers is a considerable achievement.
added by _eskarina | editThe Telegraph, Peter Scott (Aug 18, 2010)

Its prose is complex, sometimes convoluted, but at its best suffused with brilliantly realised imagery and a reminder of how rich the written language can still be.

"In Paul Harding's stunning first novel, we find what readers, writers and reviewers live for: a new way of seeing, in a story told as a series of ruminative images, like a fanned card deck."

For Meg, Samuel, and Benjamin
George Washington Crosby began to hallucinate eight days before he died.
Crosby, how are you going to be one of my twelve?

An old man lies dying. Propped up in his living room and surrounded by his children and grandchildren, George Washington Crosby drifts in and out of consciousness, back to the wonder and pain of his impoverished childhood in Maine. As the clock repairer’s time winds down, his memories intertwine with those of his father, an epileptic, itinerant peddler and his grandfather, a Methodist preacher beset by madness. At once heartbreaking and life affirming, Tinkers is an elegiac meditation on love, loss, illness, faith, and the fierce beauty of nature.

Winner of the 2010 Pulitzer Prize and PEN / Robert Bingham Fellowship for Writers Award, Tinkers was also named a 2010 American Library Association Notable Book and shortlisted for the American Booksellers Association’s Best Book of the Year Award.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 193413712X, Paperback)

Pulitzer Prize, American Library Association Notable Book, PEN / Robert Bingham Fellowship for Writers Award

“In Paul Harding’s stunning first novel, we find what readers, writers and reviewers live for.”—San Francisco Chronicle

“There are few perfect debut American novels. Walter Percy’s The Moviegoer and Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird come to mind. So does Marilynne Robinson's Housekeeping. To this list ought to be added Paul Harding’s devastating first book, Tinkers. . . . Harding has written a masterpiece.” —John Freeman, National Public Radio

“Tinkers is truly remarkable. It achieves and sustains a unique fusion of language and perception. Its fine touch plays over the textured richnesses of very modest lives, evoking again and again a frisson of deep recognition, a sense of primal encounter with the brilliant, elusive world of the senses. It confers on the reader the best privilege fiction can afford, the illusion of ghostly proximity to other human souls.” —Marilynne Robinson, Pulitzer Prize-winning author of Home, Gilead, and Housekeeping

“[Tinkers is] a novel that you’ll want to savor. . . . I found reading it to be an incredibly moving experience.” —Nancy Pearl

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:10 -0400)

On his deathbed, surrounded by his family, George Washington Crosby's throughts drift back to his childhood and the father who abandoned him when he was twelve.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,402,067 books! | Top bar: Always visible