Travesty by John Hawkes

Travesty (1976)

by John Hawkes

Recently added bySaku71, proustitute, hemlokgang, S.D., seite, jasbro, sawtooth
Legacy LibrariesWalker Percy

What is the meaning of travesty? A travesty is literary or artistic composition so inferior in quality as to be merely a grotesque imitation of its model. John Hawkes' novella is a poetic travesty. The driver of a luxury sports car, an upper class intellectual, has decided to commit the ultimate poetic act. Is it because his wife is his poet best friend's mistress? Is it because his daughter is mistress to the same poet? You will have to join the threesome on this ride to death to determine the meaning of the driver's choice for yourself. I could feel the wind in my hair on this ride through a rainy night in southern France. Do you dare? ( )
  hemlokgang | Aug 11, 2014 |
Three people in a car hurtling through rural France. Only the driver speaks. Read it to find out what he says. ( )
1 vote S.D. | Jul 9, 2014 |
I was compelled to read this despite the fact that I felt uninterested. Hawkes will do that to you---make it impossible for you to stop. You have to know....what is the cause of the dread that he he brings to life with his words. Maybe only if you are a voyeur of doom? In any case, the story, told entirely as a monologue, is okay. The writing is brilliant. ( )
  technodiabla | Mar 24, 2014 |
This is a… strange little book. And I mean that in the best possible way.

The set-up seems simple enough – we’re inside a car for the whole duration of this short novel, together with its driver, his daughter Chantal and his friend, the poet Henri – who incidentally is the lover of not only the car driver’s daughter but also of his wife. Said driver is also the narrator of Travesty and he is one of the most deeply unlikeable characters to ever fill that function. And that is not just because he plans to kill himself as well as his passengers by driving the car against a barn but also because he is a mean-spirited, monstrously egotistical philistine with (so far as I could tell) no redeeming features whatsoever. Unlike comparable narrator-villains (Humbert Humbert comes to mind most strongly) the narrator of Travesty does not require to seduce his audience (seeing as it is already quite literally captive) nor does he feel the need to justify himself to anyone, as he is quite convinced of being absolutely in the right. It comes as no surprise then that the narrator tells us mostly about himself and what a great guy he is, with the other characters mere supporting cast hovering barely visible on the edge of the stage.

It is never quite made explicit what the “Travesty” of the novel’s title refers to – while the narrator does mention an event in his past, that is not really helpful (at least not with some interpretative effort), and it seems likely that this is left intentionally ambiguous for the reader to figure out. My own take on this is that it refers to the narrator’s recurring attempts to make his planned murder-cum-suicide as a work of art – in fact, one rather suspects that the purpose of this premeditated car crash is so that the narrator can present as a better artist than his friend the poet, and lacking any real talent now engages in a grotesque and bloody act of one-upmanship. Not that this would mean criticism of the narrator by way of implicit auctorial comment, and this brings us to the point where I think this small novel is really remarkable – because the author (and it does not really matter whether you consider that to be the John Hawkes whose name appears on the cover of the novel or another fictional character implied in its narrative) manages to turn this travesty into a work of art, in spite of the narrator and behind his back, so to speak. While the novel’s set-up is entirely possible and realistic, the narrator’s voice is decidedly not – nobody would actually talk like this while driving a car, much less one that is going at high speed on a nocturnal country road. The narrative voice is not realistic at all but highly artifical, it is controlled by the author rather than the narrator, and it is the author rather than the narrator who time and again introduces a trenchant observation or a scinillating bit of prose, slipping them in under the narrator’s radar, so to speak. Which makes for a weird, unsettling reading experience, the text apparently slipping out of focus repeatedly, only to snap into brilliant clarity at the most unexpected moments.
1 vote Larou | Oct 30, 2011 |
A short, twisted, monologue. I liked it, but I also admit I read it as a bit of literate farce. Hawkes must have intended the farce. The narrator is ridiculous, repellent, comically Gallic. If there is anything serious about it (aside from the finely-tuned writing) its that Hawkes is the poet in the front passenger seat and this is his greatest fear. As he gets older, he finds himself in the driver's seat... ( )
2 vote slickdpdx | Dec 12, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0811206408, Paperback)

Hawkes, Travesty. John Hawkes' most extreme vision of eroticism and comic terror.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:32 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,976,855 books! | Top bar: Always visible