I'll Never Be French (no matter what I…

I'll Never Be French (no matter what I do): Living in a Small Village…

by Mark Greenside

2051857,211 (3.52)12

Yet another place on earth to visit on my "bucket list"! :) I'm going to need to hit the lottery!

Mark Greenside writes a hysterical memoir of living and loving Brittany. As a bumbling, fumbling middle-aged American man who is discovering a new world so unlike the one he has known.

FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |

FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |
A very funny account of the cultural differences between the Bretons and Americans living in France. It made me laugh out loud. ( )
  BrendaRT20 | Nov 3, 2013 |
Charming little book about one man's adventure in changing his life. Despite Greenside's tongue-in-cheek observations, it's very clear he is enamored with France and his new neighbours and friends. While he may never be French, he has a deep respect and admiration for all things French - perhaps to the detriment of true observation. I'm a little suspicious of this unending generosity, common sense and joie de vivre: like everything, yes, all in good dose and never in all circumstances!
Nonetheless a fun, light read which will bring nostalgia to anyone who has enjoyed France. ( )
1 vote Cecilturtle | Aug 10, 2013 |
I've tried hard to think of a reason not to like this book. I've failed miserably. This story of an American who goes to the northwest of France with his girlfriend is just an ideal introduction to life as an expatriate in rural France. I was particularly interested in the differences between how the French see Americans and how they see the British. The book was well-written, with lots of anecdotes, and the characterizations were believable and enjoyable. Brittany itself makes for a nice change from all the books written about Provence and the south of France. I strongly recommend this book to any Francophiles (like myself) out there. ( )
1 vote grothenberger | Apr 11, 2013 |

Author and teacher Mark Greenside recounts his struggles to fit into the life of a small Celtic village in Brittany.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,168,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible