Voyager by John Ridgway

Reprinted from Doctor Who Magazine #88-#107, Voyager contains the adventures of the Sixth Doctor and his alien companion Frobisher, a shape-changing alien Whifferdill who prefers to look like a penguin, all illustrated by John Ridgway who gets a two-page interview at the start. The first half of the book has stories by Steve Backhouse, which are visionary and surreal and take the Doctor to strange places in inner and outer space, swirling around the sinister magician Astralabus, but including of all things a Rupert Bear pastiche. The second half, by Alan McKenzie, is a little (though not much) closer to the TV series, even bringing in Peri for the last story, but is still rather better than the TV show was at the time. Ridgway's art is superb as well. It is well established that I am not a Sixth Doctor fan but I recommend this volume. ( )
  nwhyte | Sep 16, 2011 |
This was a gift during a visit to our local comic shop with my best friend. I got this volume and in return I paid for Chinese take out only having plastic money for my need. I’m not the biggest fan of these magazine size collections but the story is the thing after all. And if IDW does get to re-coloring and collecting these classic stories I will be buying them all over again. That’s my life as a Doctor Who fan. Voyager is collection of very alien and hit or miss stories which fit perfectly in my eyes with the Sixth Doctor.

C. ( )
  hangofwednesday | Dec 23, 2008 |
"Doctor Who: Voyager" sees the end of Steve Parkhouse's five-year run on the DWM comic, and he certainly goes out...well...even weirder than he came in. The Voyager storyline, encompassing four separate stories, abandons the pretense at science fiction seen throughout most of his Davison strips and parades a real science-fantasy sensibility. Thankfully, that works, even if the results are pretty mind-boggling. Parkhouse's interpretation of Colin Baker's Doctor is roughly the same as his Davison - no bad thing, and possibly more appropriate here - and his introduction of the shape-changing companion Frobisher is sheer genius (bringing in some welcome levity to the strip). It's too bad that he chose to leave the strip when he did, but the timing was right and certainly not rushed.

Unfortunately, the second half of the graphic novel is where things start to get - at very least - less good. Editor Alan McKenzie's stab at the writer position is perfectly serviceable, and his Doctor is closer to what we saw on screen, but but his one- and two-part stories barely make any sort of impact with the reader. His attempt at an "epic" storyline spanning the four installments of Kane's Story/Abel's Story/The Warrior's Story/Frobisher's Story is interesting, but it just doesn't go anywhere - there's not enough time before the heroes simply have to get down to the business of fighting the fight and saving the day. And it doesn't seem especially Doctor Who-ish, either. It's more like a transplanted Star Trek storyline, as is McKenzie's earlier "War Game"; both have some strong similarities to Klingon-centric plots that TNG and DS9 would feature in the coming decade.

Fortunately John Ridgway's art is a real high point, bringing consistency to the strip for the first time since Dave Gibbons (and the last time for roughly a full ten years afterward). His work is looser and sketchier than Gibbons', but there's a lot of great detail worked in; you can really see it in stories like "Polly the Glot" and "Once Upon a Time Lord."

This is a great graphic novel for the collection, and I'm pleased to finish off the run of Parkhouse strips. I just wish the other included material didn't feel quite so much like filler. ( )
  saroz | Jul 6, 2008 |

Ridgway, JohnIllustratorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McKenzie, AlanAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Parkhouse, SteveAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
This 2007 graphic novel is part of Doctor Who Magazine's ongoing series of reprints. It collects the comic strips from issues #88-107: "The Shape Shifter," "Voyager," "Polly the Glot," "Once Upon a Time Lord," "War-Game," "Fun House," "Kane's Story," "Abel's Story," "The Warrior's Story," and "Frobisher's Story." Please do not combine it with other collections with different content.

This is the first of two volumes featuring the Sixth Doctor's complete comic strip run from the pages of 'Doctor Who Magazine', issues 88-107. 'The Shape-Shifter', 'Voyager', 'Polly the Glot', 'Kane's Story' and 'Frobisher's Story' are just some of the featured stories.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,908,688 books! | Top bar: Always visible