Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Man in the Iron Mask by Alexandre Dumas

The Man in the Iron Mask (1857)

by Alexandre Dumas

Series: D'Artagnan Romances (3.3)

This one's the 5th book in the saga of the Three Musketeers--or, technically, the 3.3rd. Apparently the 3rd book published was a massive novel titled Le Vicomte de Bragelonne. Some English translations of that book, for whatever reason, were split into three novels. Anyway, in ignorance I picked up this volume, thinking it the next installment, and continued to read it after discovering my error. It didn't suffer too much for the loss, as M. Dumas gave enough backstory that I could follow along. It's the final tale of d'Artagnan, Athos, Porthos, and Aramis and their capers and intrigues with French royalty. The story was typical Dumas, with enjoyable characters and meandering plotlines. It was a bit of a downer since it was the final book of the saga. I also found the ending a bit unsatisfying--there was no "happily ever after", nor any great tragedy to wrap up the saga. It was still enjoyable reading, of course, but I kept thinking that next time I should just pick up The Three Musketeers.
--J. ( )
  Hamburgerclan | Jan 30, 2018 |
Another fantastic book brought to you by Alexandre Dumas. The final installment of the Three Musketeers' tale, this winds up everything that happens to everyone - with the exception of Aramis. We learn how Porthos, Athos, Raoul, and the valiant d'Artagnan meet their ends, by by the end all we know is that Aramis is still General of the Jesuits and residing in Spain as a diplomat by the end, which left me to wondering. All in all, this book promised the same wonderful action and adventure as all of the rest of Dumas' books, and it delivered. A fantastic novel. ( )
  J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |
The last adventure of the musketeers Athos, Porthos, Aramis and d'Artagnan. The secret twin of the king plays a very small role--out of the Bastille and back in within a few days, Aramis' plot foiled by loyalty of the Finance minister at whose home he makes the switch.
  ritaer | Jul 1, 2016 |
While I like this Simon Vance narration, I found that this edition, based on the 3 volume version of "Vicomte de Bragelonne; or Ten Years Later", was not as good as my print edition which is based on the 4 volume edition. This one is just too long, especially if you are reading this as a stand-alone -- it is about 30% longer than the 4 volume edition and mostly with stuff which lacks the adventure and action that one might expect in this book. ( )
  leslie.98 | Aug 12, 2015 |
Having finally read the entire series, I found that I liked this final section even more. Some sections that I previously thought a bit dull or unrelated I now realize where the continuation or wrapping up of things that had happened previously. Several of the relationships, such as that between Raoul & Louise, are not at all clear if you read this as a stand-alone but make perfect sense having read the previous parts of "Vicomte de Bragelonne; or Ten Years Later". However the book is still a fun read even lacking the nuances of these relations as long as you know "The Three Musketeers" 4 main characters.

One thing I had forgotten was how sad this book ends up being. I was feeling a bit annoyed in the middle that Louis XIV wasn't left in the Bastille and Phillipe on the throne, especially after Louis behaviour towards Fouquet in the second half of the book. But upon reflection, Dumas chose the more realistic path and allowed the characters to show their sense of honor or lack thereof. I remain saddened by the division between the 4 friends which is only partially healed in the end. Poor Aramis tried to become another Richelieu and failed. It is interesting the the musketeer who started off as the most devout ended up being the most corrupted by ambition while the one who started off with the most ambition ended up the most dutiful to his moral obligations. So sad that d'Artagnan dies just as he is about to achieve the one ambition left to him!

For those unaware, Dumas' mammoth third book in the d'Artagnan series ("Vicomte de Bragelonne; or Ten Years Later") is generally divided into several volumes, most commonly 3 or 4. Unfortunately, these volumes usually have the same name even though they cover slightly different material. This book is covers the material in the 4th volume of a 4 volume edition. I also listened to the Blackstone audiobook edition narrated by Simon Vance which is the final volume of a 3 volume edition (and also a slightly different translation although the translation information is not provided). For those wanting to read this classic as a stand-alone, I would recommend the 4 volume edition -- the 3 volume edition contains about 30% more material at the beginning (covered in my 3rd volume "Louise de la Valliere") which only minimally helps understand the relationships I mentioned above and lacks the adventure and action of the first & last parts. ( )
  leslie.98 | Aug 12, 2015 |

Alexandre Dumasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cooper, Barbara T.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gray, Francine Du PlessixIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neugroschel, JoachimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pisarev, RomanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rogers, JacquelineIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, Henry LlewellynTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whilst every one at court was busily engaged upon his own affairs, a man mysteriously entered a house situated behind the Place de Grève.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0192838423, Paperback)

Alexandre Dumas was already a best-selling novelist when he wrote this historical romance, combining (as he claimed) the two essentials of life--"l'action et l'amour." The Man in the Iron Mask concludes the epic adventures of the three Muskateers, as Athos, Porthos, Aramis, and their friend D'Artagnan, once invincible, meet their destinies.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:45 -0400)

When the destinies of King Louis XIV and a mysterious prisoner in an iron mask converge, the Three Musketeers and D'Artagnan find themselves caught between conflicting loyalties.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,463,407 books! | Top bar: Always visible