Der Mann in der eisernen Maske: Roman…

Der Mann in der eisernen Maske: Roman (Schöne Klassiker) (original 1847; edition 2009)

by Alexandre Dumas, Edmund Th. Kauer (Übersetzer)

Member:mtc106
Title:Der Mann in der eisernen Maske: Roman (Schöne Klassiker)
Authors:Alexandre Dumas
Other authors:Edmund Th. Kauer (Übersetzer)
Info:Aufbau Taschenbuch (2009), Edition: 1, Taschenbuch, 549 pages
Rating:***

The Man in the Iron Mask by Alexandre Dumas (1847)

Well, that was a real downer. People die, noble plots are thwarted, good men are sent to prison. The title is a little misleading, because surprisingly little of the book is about said man - the brother of the king, whom Aramis tries to install in his place from the very first chapter. I still love all four Musketeers, but this story seemed less about them and more about French politics. I think. To be honest, I had a lot of trouble following it. I kept confusing people, especially since most of the noblemen had two or three names each. It was nice to rejoin Athos, Aramis, Porthos, and d'Artagnan, but I would have rather spent the time with them off on adventures, and not as old men who barely see each other anymore. I suppose it's not a bad way to round off your Musketeer collection, but definitely don't start here.

This translation was not so great. I'm not convinced, even in Dumas's time, that people would say "What does that signify?" instead of "What does that mean?" or "Do you comprehend?" instead of "Do you understand?" It made everything sound stilted and weird. ( )
  melydia | Oct 12, 2013 |
Now that’s a saga. Not this book specifically, but the whole of the d’Artagnan novels (or romances as they are often styled). I can hardly organize my thoughts because the end affected me so much. I cried. Seriously. This is only the third book to ever make me cry (counting Of Mice and Men which really shouldn't...it makes everyone cry, doesn’t it?)

Spoilers.

I came to this section of the story with preconceived notions of what the story would be. Not from any one source, but from this novel’s reputation in general. I thought there would be a lot more about the twins, the switch and the repercussions of that switch. Strangely, it is all over and done with very quickly. Fouquet spoils everything by being an idiot and Aramis and Porthos have to literally run for their lives. Phillippe is put into yet another prison and is never heard of again. It was so strange. I kept expecting d’Artagnan to spring the guy or something, but no, he deposits him on the island, mask in place and that’s it. The rest of the story is about Fouquet’s downfall, Louis’s perfection of his power and what happens to the four as a result.

Their friendship is one to end all friendships. Porthos forgives Aramis for his duplicity. Athos wastes away with Raoul gone. Aramis schemes mightily to get them out of their predicament. d’Artagnan’s attempts to save them are thwarted by Louis’s counter-orders and secret spies. It’s painful to watch. Especially since I really wanted (and expected) them to retire into old age in one of Porthos’s estates, sipping Alsace wine and talking about the glory days. OMG I was not prepared for what an absolute downer the whole ending was. I had tears streaming down my face for all of the deaths. Especially Porthos’s since his was one of such sacrifice and his character was so much larger than life. At the very end I had the urge to go right back to The Three Musketeers and start all over again. ( )
  Bookmarque | Sep 22, 2013 |
And with that I have turned the last page and yes, it ends on 5 stars. It was such a wonderful adventure. 2700 pages of wonderful characters, stories, plot developments, schemes, adventure, love, witty dialogues and just pure revel-in-the-moment page-turning imaginings. It was everything I wanted to read and more and it's sad to think this is the last book. It'll be hard I think to go back to the book 2 that I had skipped to read this.

Going back to what the editor wrote:
""Bragelonne", too long, too mixed, too ambiguous -- and with too much melancholy -- will never have, despite our intentions, the notoriety of the other two. Consequentially though, it prolongs them and completes them. "

I disagree with the beginning of this thought. The book was instead just right, perfectly adjusted and well plotted. And yes, it completes the series marvelously. What a wonderful feeling.

-----
SPOILERS BELOW
-----

If I were to have one complaint it would be about the final two chapters and for those who do not know how the story ends, feel free to stop reading here now.

The book was originally going to end when d'Artagnan is in the cemetery, however, the director of the magazine in which this book was published insisted that d'Artagnan be given a death "as much for us as for you". I disagree with that statement. The book had already ended beautifully with d'Artagnan contemplating death and ultimately saying that God would tell him when his time would be as he declared for the others. And that's what it should have been for d'Artagnan was always master of his fate. Instead the end was cheapened because Maquet (Dumas' writing partner) did what the director said. Our hearts had just experienced an ending and then we were brought right back into a story unwillingly just to be spit back out again a chapter later. It was bewildering and made his death comic. Not the end d'Artagnan deserved, despite what the director thought.

However, that is my only scrutiny. Otherwise, the book is a triumph for me. ( )
  lilisin | Sep 19, 2013 |
And thus ends the last book of The Three Musketeers series, aka the D'artagnan Romances. Not the greatest of endings. And definitely didn't live up to all the hype and the expectations.

3.5/5 ( )
  PiyushC | Jul 7, 2013 |
A girl in my world literature class gave a book report on this book that sounded exactly like the movie, which I had loved. I wanted to know if she was cheating so I read the book myself. Well... she was cheating. But the book was still good, if REALLY thick in 18th century French politics. ( )
  Snukes | Jun 14, 2013 |

Alexandre Dumasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gray, Francine Du PlessixIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neugroschel, JoachimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pisarev, RomanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rogers, JacquelineIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, Henry LlewellynTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whilst every one at court was busily engaged upon his own affairs, a man mysteriously entered a house situated behind the Place de Grève.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0192838423, Paperback)

Alexandre Dumas was already a best-selling novelist when he wrote this historical romance, combining (as he claimed) the two essentials of life--"l'action et l'amour." The Man in the Iron Mask concludes the epic adventures of the three Muskateers, as Athos, Porthos, Aramis, and their friend D'Artagnan, once invincible, meet their destinies.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:37 -0400)

When the destinies of King Louis XIV and a mysterious prisoner in an iron mask converge, the Three Musketeers and D'Artagnan find themselves caught between conflicting loyalties.

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,029,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible