Left to Tell: Discovering God Amidst the…

Left to Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust (2006)

by Immaculée Ilibagiza

Other authors: Wayne W. Dyer (Foreword), Steve Erwin

An Ordinary Man: An Autobiography by Paul Rusesabagina (elbakerone)
    Little Bee: A Novel by Chris Cleave (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Twenty-two-year-old Immaculée survives the three-month Rwandan genocide, in which most of her family is murdered. Readers interested in how a lone survivor of violent conflict can find the strength to continue might be interested in this memoir.… (more)
    The Translator: A Tribesman's Memoir of Darfur by Daoud Hari (elbakerone)
Africa (56)

Highly highly recommend. Also recommend, tissues!
  RowleyWrites | Sep 28, 2017 |
Book club, no interest in reading.
  JeanetteSkwor | Feb 6, 2017 |
Shocking and inspiring. Ms. Ilibagiza tells the story of what happened to her during the Rwandan Holocaust. The narrative's glut of horrific violence made me sick at heart, but Ilibagiza's faith and personal strength pulled me through.

These people are just like you and me: human, educated, desiring of a happy life, and it's stunning to see how quickly so much of this can go down the tubes when mob mentality, based on racial prejudice, sets in. And lest my dear review reader thinks that such things don't happen in America, let's pause for a moment to consider what happened in New Orleans during Katrina. Yes, Katrina, New Orleans, wasn't anything close to a Rwandan Holocaust, but I was shocked how many people, in the aftermath -- good religious, supposedly god-fearing people -- said things to me like, "Those people weren't smart enough to leave when they should have" or "Why should I send money, they're just a bunch of welfare cheats anyway", etc. Barbara Bush spoke for many when she said of the Houston Astrodome Refugess: "They're loving it here."

It's exactly that brand of dismissive rationalization and downgrading of human suffering, based on class- and racial-prejudice, taking place over decades, that set the stage for the Hutu massacre of the Tutsis. The Nazi Holocaust took off from the nearly exact same foundation of social and class prejudice against the Jews.

Anyway, I think that this should be required reading. Ms. Ilibagiza is remarkably brave, and you need to hear her story. ( )
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
heart aching story of genocide survivor. great faith
  seoulregina | Jan 24, 2016 |
What an amazing story... so sad, so tragic, so frightening, but yet there is hope. A truly touching book about survival. ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |

Immaculée Ilibagizaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dyer, Wayne W.Forewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Erwin, Stevesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To my beloved parents, Leonard and Rose; and my dear brothers Damascene and Vianney, for all the selfless love you gave me. You make heaven a brighter place, and I will love you always.

For my brother Aimable, with much love and in hopes of healing unspoken pain.

And to my new family -- Bryan and our sweet babies, Nikki and Bryan, Jr. -- for giving me a new life, love, and inspiration. You make my life complete. In memory of holocaust victims everywhere.

Chapter 1: The Eternal Spring
I was born in paradise. At least, that's how I felt about my homeland while I was growing up.
"When we are no longer able to change a situation--we are challenged to change ourselves."
Viktor E. Frankl, psychologist, author, and Nazi holocaust survivor

As Seen on Public TV. Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:18 -0400)

Presents the true story of a woman who endures the murder of her family as a result of genocide in Rwanda and turns to prayer for strength, love, and forgiveness.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1401908977, 1401911498

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,989,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible