Another Bullshit Night in Suck City by Nick…

Another Bullshit Night in Suck City

by Nick Flynn

The Bold Saboteurs by Chandler Brossard (bertilak)
    bertilak: Two books with protagonists with serious Dad issues.

English (31)  German (2)  French (1)  Danish (1)  All (35)
A fascinating memoir full of truth, emotion, and courage. It gives us pause about how life can get derailed, and the significance of family. Bravo to a book worth the time to read, perhaps more than once! ( )
  CherieKephart | Aug 3, 2017 |
Sucked ( )
  NanaDebs | Jan 9, 2017 |
Another Bullshit Night in Suck City by Nick Flynn; (2 1/2*)

I had trouble just getting past the title with this book. But I managed to read what in the end was actually not a horrible memoir. Told in the most unflowery of ways, each chapter seemed to be different in its style of writing. So I felt as if I was constantly adjusting to that which would pull me out of the book for a bit. This one never got past the feeling of being disjointed for me.
As the memoir begins it appears that it is going to touch on serious issues with the author and the personal relationship, or the lack thereof, with his father. It does succeed in that but in a rather boring narrative sort of way.
I think this would have read much better & been better received had Flynn written a novel based on this part of his life rather than writing it as a memoir. The subject matter, alcoholism & homelessness, are both very important issues. But this was a rather boring read for me. ( )
1 vote rainpebble | Sep 12, 2015 |
This is at the top of my favorite memoirs of all time list. Some books I feel like my review won't do them justice. This is one of those. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
Jesus, this was a depressing read.

Akin to 'The Glass Castle'. Examines chronic homelessness, alcoholism, and mental disorders. It's a son coping with the (spoiler?) suicide of his mother and the fear that he is/will become his absentee, mentally-ill, fuckup of a father.

The language is gorgeous at times and the end is inspiring(?) considering what the author has done in light of the obstacles he was up against.

Worth the read, but don't expect a light-hearted, funny memoir that dominates the genre these days. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |

Nick Flynnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Arensman, Dirk-JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hamm: Scoundrel! Why did you engender me?
Nagg: I didn't know.
Hamm: What? What didn't you know?
Nagg: That it'd be you.

-Beckett, Endgame
(1989) Please, she whispers, how may I help you?
"Another Bullshit Night In Suck City" was later published as "Being Flynn".

"A stunningly beautiful new memoir . . . a near-perfect work of literature." —Stephen Elliot, San Francisco Chronicle

Nick Flynn met his father when he was working as a caseworker in a homeless shelter in Boston. As a teenager he'd received letters from this stranger father, a self-proclaimed poet and con man doing time in federal prison for bank robbery. Another Bullshit Night in Suck City tells the story of the trajectory that led Nick and his father onto the streets, into that shelter, and finally to each other.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:01 -0400)

"Nick Flynn met his father when he was twenty-seven years old, working as a caseworker in a homeless shelter in Boston. As a teenager he'd received letters from this stranger father, a self-proclaimed poet and con man doing time in federal prison for bank robbery. Nick, his own life precariously unsettled (his mother committed suicide when he was in his late teens), was living alternatively in a ramshackle boat and in a warehouse that was once a strip joint. Another Bullshit Night in Suck City (a phrase Flynn senior uses to describe his life on the streets) tells the story of two lives, the story of Nick's boyhood in Scituate, Massachusetts, with his brother and young mother who struggled to keep the family together and the story of his larger-than-life father who refused to play by the rules, and the eerie trajectory that led Nick and his father into that homeless shelter, onto those streets, and finally to each other."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393329402, 0393051390

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,338,393 books! | Top bar: Always visible