Dangerous Undertaking by Mark de Castrique

Dangerous Undertaking

by Mark de Castrique

The first chapter with the funeral scene remains as the best opening I have enjoyed. The story, told by Barry Clayton, unfolds in the North Carolina mountains. In this short novel, the characters dominant the pages from the circuit preacher, Lester Pace, to the reclusive liquor maker, Talmadge Watson; and many minor characters throughout the story. The weather, greed, and family loyalty greatly factor into the story. I have read both series by Mark de Castrique, but Barry Clayton pulls me into the story of the problems and heartaches that control our existence. Mark de Castrique softly hints of the encroachment of business into the freedom of rural life. ( )
  delphimo | Jul 11, 2017 |
Good start for another interesting North Carolina mystery series, move over Judge Debra. Interesting characters,and story, though the ending seemed a little contrived. Hopefully the protagonist's nickname will also fade away. Like Bulldog Drummond, its so 20th Century. ( )
  jamespurcell | Jan 25, 2017 |
Being a fan of the Sam Blackman series by Mark de Castrique, I decided to give his Buryin' Barry series a try. Barry has come home to his North Carolina mountains to take over the family funeral home for his dad who has Alzheimer's. Barry, a former policeman, is shot during a funeral and is soon teamed up with his friend, the sheriff, to figure out what is going on. With big money property deals, shady electric company managers, a crazy preacher, and illegal dumping of toxic waste, the mystery is complicated, but everything is woven together. I look forward to reading the rest of this series. ( )
  aztwinmom | Oct 23, 2016 |
First I want to say that I read this off and on and it made it a bit hard to follow. So I had to go back a few times which is always tedious. But that was not the book's fault. The mystery is very good. I really liked Barry and the other characters in the book. I thought the depiction of North Carolina hill folks was good if a bit over the top. AI did get the feeling I was right there, and I have relatives who fit into this category. So I am planning to read the next book because I think I will really enjoy it if I don't take so long to read it. ( )
  TheLibraryhag | Sep 12, 2013 |
Burying Barry Clayron, who was thus nick-named in high school because his family were the local undertakers, left his job in the Charlotte, North Carolina Police Department to return home to help his father. Having been diagnosed with Alzeimer's Barry's dad could no longer keep on working. Despite his lack of enthusiasm for the profession Barry has picked up the slack and is helping his mother and uncle when he almost has the need for a coffin himself as he barely dodges bullets at a funeral. Barry joins the police in the hunt for this killer in an interesting mystery which takes place in rural North Carolina. I am ;poking forward to the next in the series, GRAVE UNDERTAKING. ( )
  Condorena | Apr 2, 2013 |

When his father is stricken with Alzheimer's, Barry leaves the police force and returns to his home town in North Carolina, where he reluctantly takes over his family's funeral business. However, during his first funeral, a grieving grandson strides in and murders his family. Barry and the county sheriff begin a search for the killer.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,388,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible