The Tyranny of Dead Ideas: Letting Go of the…

The Tyranny of Dead Ideas: Letting Go of the Old Ways of Thinking to…

by Matt Miller

300s (1) 4-stars (1) adult (1) attitude (1) audible (1) BN (1) current events (3) E (1) economics (3) futurism (2) HC (1) history (1) ideas (3) innovation (2) Leadership (1) library book (1) loft (1) luck (1) new non-fiction (1) NF (2) non-fiction (6) organizational change (1) policy (1) politics (4) prosperity (1) read (1) RPL (1) taxes (1) to-read (3) unread (1)

Interesting, and very well written. ( )
  BakuDreamer | Sep 7, 2013 |
I enjoyed this book very much and would recommend it to anyone willing to think "outside the box" about public policy. I especially appreciated the historical evolution of these dead ideas. My feeling is that not many people are aware of their evolution. I would like to see ore elected officials read this book. I read it because it was being read and recommended by the mayor of Minneapolis, R.T. Rybak. It is definitely a discussion starter. ( )
  SMHilgert | Jun 29, 2010 |
I loved this book and am hopeful that many will read it. There are so many huge issues facing our government and society, and our perspective on them is vividly colored by past experiences and situations. Reality is that so much of our society and economy has changed that we need to test the veracity of many of the ideas that guide public policy today. ( )
  Oreillynsf | Jun 9, 2010 |
A quick and very engaging read that (to my mind at least) brings some thought provoking context to the current state of political discourse in the America. ( )
  ambookgeek | Apr 6, 2010 |
I picked up this book upon learning that the author, Matt Miller, will deliver 14th Annual Governor’s Lecture in the Humanities, Nov. 4, 2009, at Joslyn Art Museum in Omaha. Miller delivers a scathing critique of many "dead ideas" that are holding back our economy and society. It is a timely book, addressing topics such as free trade, health care, and education.

Miller's premise is that ideas become accepted truths, and are sometimes held onto long after they have lost their usefulness, or even become harmful. This is the case, in his opinion, with ideas such as tying health care to employment, allowing local control (and funding) of schools, and promoting the idea of free trade at any cost. His critiques resonate, although more conservative readers will criticize his solutions (Miller places most of his faith in government intervention, and sees higher taxes as inevitable).

All in all it is a quick but though-provoking read. Even if you disagree with Miller's proposed solutions, his idea that we need to challenge conventional wisdom is a useful message.
  connlibrary | Jul 28, 2009 |

A leading political and business thinker identifies the greatest threat to our economic future: the things we think we know—but don’t

America is at a crossroads. In the face of global competition and rapid technological change, our economy is about to face its most severe test in nearly a century—one that will make the recent turmoil in the financial system look like a modest setback by comparison. Yet our leaders have failed to prepare us for what lies ahead because they are in the grip of a set of "dead ideas" about how a modern economy should work. They wrongly believe that

Our kids will earn more than we do Free trade is always good, no matter who gets hurt Employers should be responsible for health coverage Taxes hurt the economy Schools are a local matter Money follows merit

These ways of thinking—dubious at best and often dead wrong—are on a collision course with economic developments that are irre-versible.

In The Tyranny of Dead Ideas, Matt Miller offers a unique blend of insights from history, psychology, and economics to illuminate where today’s destructive conventional wisdom came from and how it holds our country back. He also introduces us to a new way of thinking—what he calls "tomorrow’s destined ideas"—that can reinvigorate our economy, our politics, and our day-to-day lives. These destined ideas may seem counterintuitive now, but they will coalesce in the coming years in ways that will transform America.

A strikingly original assessment of our current dilemma and an indispensable guide to our future, Miller’s provocative and path-breaking book reveals why it is urgent that we break the tyranny of dead ideas, for it is only by doing so that we can move beyond the limits of today’s obsolete debates and reinvent American capitalism and democracy for the twenty-first century.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:35 -0400)

A leading political and business thinker identifies the greatest threat to our economic future: the things we think we know--but don't. In the face of global competition and rapid technological change, our economy is facing its most severe test in nearly a century. Yet our leaders have failed to prepare us for what lies ahead because they are in the grip of a set of "dead ideas" about how a modern economy should work. These ways of thinking--dubious at best and often dead wrong--are on a collision course with irreversible economic developments. Here, Matt Miller offers a blend of business-world acumen and public-policy vision to lay bare how this conventional wisdom holds our country back, and he introduces us to a new way of thinking--what he calls "tomorrow's destined ideas"--that can reinvigorate our economy, our politics, and our day-to-day lives. --From publisher description.… (more)

33 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,326,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible