Trailer Girl: and Other Stories by Terese…

Trailer Girl: and Other Stories

by Terese Svoboda

23None459,532 (3)1

No reviews
"Svoboda dazzles her readers with colors, calls, and gestures in scenes that we don't immediately understand. But each time, without fail, she is true to her poetic calling and wipes away the initial cloudiness of the story's slate, revealing disturbing truths whose images will insinuate themselves during our real lives — as we order a cappuccino at a coffee shop or step into our orderly, secure homes at night. Her creations will never rest quietly in our minds, but will remind us of the breadth of the world and the smallness of the piece that each of us samples from it."
added by svoboda | editBookreporter (Oct 20, 2009)

We see the ordinary anew through her cracked lens: It's always breaking up, shifting shape and surprising us.
added by svoboda | editHartford Courant (Oct 20, 2009)

“You have to listen, carefully, to Terese Svoboda’s stories. You have to read them slowly, more than once, sounding the words this way and that, letting yourself interpret, not with logic alone, but using the tools of poetry–association, juxtaposition, metaphor. Even what’s left out can be significant. For these are not so much stories in the traditional sense as tangled situations, networks of convoluted yet precisely controlled language. And you don’t read through them, but into them, going deeper each time.”
added by svoboda | editWomen's Review of Books (Oct 20, 2009)

“Svoboda’s tales are so shiver-inducing they could almost be ghost stories.”
added by svoboda | editEntertainment Weekly (Oct 20, 2009)

"Powerful cutting-edge literary fiction."
added by svoboda | editLibrary Journal (Oct 20, 2009)

To my beloved sisters
I talk like a lady who knows what she wants, and other things that I would mention but Ernie's charging over here with kids behind, screaming like they are chasing him and not vice versa and him whipping a cut aerial like a wild man.

With fierce prose that cuts through the pretty and the prosaic, Trailer Girl and Other Stories offers full-strength narrative, as strong and precise as poetry. The title novella, the story of cycles of child abuse and the dream to escape them, is stark and disturbing.

Terese Svoboda is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Terese Svoboda chatted with LibraryThing members from Oct 19, 2009 to Oct 30, 2009. Read the chat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,716,633 books! | Top bar: Always visible