The Short Novels of John Steinbeck: Tortilla…

by John Steinbeck

Title:The Short Novels of John Steinbeck: Tortilla Flat/The Red Pony/Of Mice and Men/The Moon Is Down/Cannery Row/The Pearl
Authors:John Steinbeck
Info:Viking, NY. 1953, Reprint, hardcover
Tags:fiction, novellas, literature

The Short Novels of John Steinbeck: Tortilla Flat/The Red Pony/Of Mice and Men/The Moon Is Down/Cannery Row/The Pearl by John Steinbeck

Recently added byeastlake_uk, leoithne27, private library, Leticia_Alaniz, thejayray, elstree, crowspeaks

A great collection of short stories by the great John Steinbeck.

One thing I re-realized while reading this collection was that all good things should be taken in moderation. The same goes for good books. As much as I love the work of Steinbeck, it's nice to read something else every once in a while, if only to have the desire for exceptional writing to gnaw at you once again, forcing you to go back to a favorite author. What I mean is that instead of reading this within the time frame that I did, I should have read a different book in between each of the shorter stories. I think it would have given me time to digest each individual novel on its own before delving into another classic tale.

Regardless, this is a great collection of stories that I absolutely loved. Other than [b:Of Mice and Men|890|Of Mice and Men|John Steinbeck|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1367951092s/890.jpg|40283], I had never read any of these other stories. I'm happy to have read each and every one of them. I think I'll read a couple other books for now…and then go back to reading another Steinbeck novel in the near future. ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
Picked up the collection so I could read Cannery Row while visiting Monterey. Imagining the old Cannery Row while visiting the tourist trap it has become was a little bewildering, but fun, too, with the tasteful placards and quotes from the book along the recreation trail. I got a real kick out of the story, though was sent off balance by the finish.

Started The Pearl and was captivated, but ran out of time on this book borrowed from the local library. ( )
  scott.r | Jan 9, 2015 |
I read The Pearl many years ago. Recently I read Of Mice and Men and I think I can see some theatrical/cinematic influence on the writing. I think I might want to pick up Cannery Row next at some point, thinking back to a visit we made a while back to the John Steinbeck museum in Salinas. ( )
  rmagahiz | Dec 21, 2013 |
Tortilla Flat- The Red Pony- Of Mice and Men- The Moon is Down- Cannery Row- The Pear
  antiqueart | Nov 28, 2013 |
“Anything that just costs money is cheap.”
― John Steinbeck

A man does not need money to get what he needs or wants in Tortilla Flat. Everything - from jugs of wine to the amorous affections of some of the local women - can be bartered for, begged for, shared, and borrowed. But now a wonderful and terrible thing has happened. Young Danny, unfettered by such soul-sucking things like possessions, money and a roof, has come into property. His grandfather, that viejo, has died and bequeathed to Danny, his favorite grandson – his only grandson – not one, but two houses in Tortilla Flat in Monterey. What was his abuelo thinking to burden poor Danny with such responsibilities? Danny gets used to having a roof over his head and his friends, those noble – and until now – homeless - paisanos, Pilon, Pablo, Jesus Maria, all eventually come to share Danny’s roof. They even decide that the Pirate, with his suspected hidden treasure and his ability to garner food, is also in need of Danny’s roof and their watchful eye. The Pirate’s five dogs, his fiercely loyal canines, are welcome guests too as long as they stay in their corner. This unusual family of paisanos is happy now. Adventures are embarked upon – individually and as a group. This rag-tag group of paisanos is living the life! For what does one need for happiness in Tortilla Flat but a jug of wine drunk from fruit jar glasses, a warm fire in the stove, and the lively conversations of one’s friends at day's end? The only thing needed to elevate a pleasant evening such as this to a truly great and memorable one is a nice, lively fight (after all, what is a nice little brawl between friends?). And Danny. The paisanos need Danny. It’s a shame that Danny does not know this.

Tortilla Flat has the wonderful Steinbeck humor I love. It is full of his astute and satirical observations: “Two gallons is a great deal of wine, even for two paisanos. Spiritually, the jugs may be graduated thus: Just below the shoulder of the first bottle, serious and concentrated conversation. … A thumb every other song each one knows. The graduations stop here, for the trail splits and there is no certainty. From this point on anything can happen.” In my opinion, not quite as funny as Cannery Row or Sweet Thursday, but it certainly has its moments. I loved the way the simple-minded and sweet Pirate outsmarts his paisano amigos with his – well - simple- mindedness. The story of the Pirate and his homage to St. Francisco – by both him and his fiercely loyal and, as fate would have it, spiritually devout, dogs - was the highlight of the story for me and worth the price of admission. ( )
2 vote avidmom | Oct 9, 2012 |
For something like twenty years now critical lightning has been playing around the head of John Steinbeck, and the thunder of the pundits has echoed in the literary quarterlies.

- Intro by Joseph Henry Jackson
- Tortilla Flat
- The Red Pony
- Of Mice and Men
- The Moon is Down
- Cannery Row
- The Pearl

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0143105779, Roughcut)

Collected here for the first time in a deluxe paperback volume are six of John Steinbeck’s most widely read and beloved novels—Tortilla Flat, The Red Pony, Of Mice and Men, The Moon Is Down, Cannery Row, and The Pearl. From Steinbeck’s tale of commitment, loneliness, and hope in Of Mice and Men, to his tough yet charming portrait of people on the margins of society in Cannery Row, to The Pearl’s examination of the fallacy of the American dream, Steinbeck created stories that were realistic, rugged, and imbued with energy and resilience.

@IAmWithSam Lennie came back into the cabin with that look on his face and I said, Lennie, did you kill another woman?

He told me he had done it again, he thought. Why do I get stuck with the dangerously disabled? Did Forrest Gump ever hurt anyone?

From Twitterature: The World's Greatest Books in Twenty Tweets or Less

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:52 -0400)

Collects six short novels from one of the most influential authors of the twentieth century.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,945,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible