Green Suede Shoes: An Irish-American Odyssey…

Green Suede Shoes: An Irish-American Odyssey (2005)

by Larry Kirwan

162615,960 (4)None

Kirwan's autobiography is comparable to Liam Clancy's Mountain of Women in that it describes the life of an Irish musician making it big in America. Both Kirwan and Clancy are full of shit at least half of the time, but their writing is so engaging you hang on every word. Not knowing much about Black 47, I particularly found it interesting how the band came together, avoided being destroyed by being declared the "next big thing," and the inspiration behind many of the songs. I also liked stories of the East Village in the good bad old days before it was gentrified. Kinds of fluff as far as biographies go but engaging fluff. ( )
  Othemts | Jun 25, 2008 |
The book as a biography, has a solid enough premise and just the right amount of appealing grit to the cover, that I would have picked it up off the book shelves even if I'd never heard of the band, Black47.
It's reads easy and pleasant,like a letter from an old friend letting you know what they've been up to. Smart but not "over your head" intellectual, poignant yet witty.
Mr. Kirwan's writting style I liken to Eric Burdon's in his book,
"I used to be an Animal but I'm all right now".
That book has been on my shelf for years, it's all dog eared and the pages are held to the binding by scotch tape and rubber bands.I can easily see Green Suede Shoes right beside it in years to come.
The CD Elvis Murphy's Green Suede Shoes is good but not necessary to enjoy the book,
so well written, it speaks for itself. ( )
  Groovybaby | Oct 9, 2005 |

The author recalls growing up in Wexford County, Ireland, and his immigration to New York City, where he became the leader of the political Irish-American rock band, Black 47.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,083,841 books! | Top bar: Always visible