Sister Outsider: Essays and Speeches (1984)

by Audre Lorde

Presenting the essential writings of black lesbian poet and feminist writer Audre Lorde, Sister Outsider celebrates an influential voice in twentieth-century literature. In this charged collection of fifteen essays and speeches, Lorde takes on sexism, racism, ageism, homophobia, and class, and propounds social difference as a vehicle for action and change. Her prose is incisive, unflinching, and lyrical, reflecting struggle but ultimately offering messages of hope. This commemorative edition includes a new foreword by Lorde scholar and poet Cheryl Clarke, who celebrates the ways in which Lorde's philosophies resonate more than twenty years after they were first published.… (more)
    "I Teach Myself in Outline," Notes, Journals, Syllabi and an Excerpt from Deotha by Audre Lorde (jillianhistorian)
    jillianhistorian: This is an edited collection of Audre Lorde's teaching materials, drawn from materials in Lorde's papers in the Spelman College Archives.

Beyond amazing. This book provides a tool kit for reshaping the self to implement our most positive aspects, and is itself an example of the work done.

"We share a common interest, survival, and it cannot be pursued in isolation from others simply because their difference make us uncomfortable. We know what it is to be lied to. The 60s should teach us how important it is not to lie to ourselves. Not to believe that revolution is a one-time event, or something that happens around us rather than inside of us. Not to believe that freedom can belong to any one group of us without the others also being free. How important it is not to allow even our leaders to define us to ourselves, or to define our sources of power to us."

So many truths so well expressed. Alas, I haven't read this woman's poems. I should get right on it! ( )
  quondame | Sep 1, 2020 |
It's at once amazing and depressing just how many of the pieces in this collection by Audre Lorde—some of them more than 40 years old—could believably be responses to the events of 2020 with only one or two minor edits. True, there are some dated elements—invocations of the Goddess spirit which inhabits all women, etc, are so 70s to me that you can just about smell the patchouli, and they don't resonate with my feminism at all. But wow, when Lorde was good she was good—able to craft a short sentence that seems simple at first glance but that knocks you flat on your metaphorical ass as soon as you start to think about it in a combination intellectual/moral/ethical challenge. ( )
  siriaeve | Jul 12, 2020 |
I absolutely loved these essays written by Audre Lorde. I highly recommend this book. ( )
  oacevedo | Apr 9, 2019 |
Interesting inside on black lesbian life. ( )
  kakadoo202 | Nov 16, 2018 |
This collection of essays and speeches contains some of the 'greatest hits', the most quoted bits of Audre Lorde, and they are so well written. She was thoughtful, intelligent, critical and outspoken. She was the living embodiment of intersectional feminism before it was really a thing, and brings her own perspective as a black lesbian feminist. These essays mostly feel barely dated although all written in the late 70s, early 80s. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Oct 8, 2018 |

Lorde, Audreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Clarke, CherylForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vrouwenvertaalkollek…Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Since I've returned from Russia a few weeks ago, I've been dreaming a lot.
...poetry is not a luxury...

A collection of essays and speeches by Audre Lorde.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,535,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible