When Giants Walked the Earth: A Biography of…

When Giants Walked the Earth: A Biography of Led Zeppelin (edition 2010)

by Mick Wall

1203100,400 (3.81)1
Member:hiddenpunk
Title:When Giants Walked the Earth: A Biography of Led Zeppelin
Authors:Mick Wall
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2010), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 554 pages
Collections:Wishlist, Read but unowned
Tags:Wall, British, 20th Century, Music, Led Zeppelin, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, John Bonham, Robert Plant, Rock, non-fiction

When Giants Walked the Earth: A Biography of Led Zeppelin by Mick Wall

I am a Led Zeppelin fan. I am not a fan of this book. I listened to it on CD, and the shifts from third to first person were dizzying and insanely hard to follow. The breathless authorial style didn't work for me. The Crowley/occult/Satanism speculation bored my pants off and caused me to actually yell at the CD player. Which maybe just means I'm possessed.

1 vote satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
It was amazing to read the rise and fall of the rock band. I didn't feel we ever truly get under the skin of why they were so good. I wanted more detail about the creative process and less about the Crowley influence ( )
  hectorius123 | Mar 2, 2010 |
Yes it was long... It was gripping too. Went into the whole Crowley business a bit too much, but damn it was a good read. I'd read it again :) ( )
2 vote BlueYolanda | Aug 15, 2009 |
For Linda, Evie, Mollie and Michael - always.
It could happen anywhere but it always happened best in America.

Veteran rock journalist Mick Wall unflinchingly tells the story of the band that pushed the envelope on both creativity and excess, even by rock ‘n’ roll standards. Led Zeppelin was the last great band of the 1960s and the first great band of the 1970s—and When Giants Walked the Earth is the full, enthralling story of Zep from the inside, written by a former associate of both Jimmy Page and Robert Plant. Rich and revealing, it bores into not only the disaster, addiction and death that haunted the band but also into the real relationship between Page and Plant, including how it was influenced by Page’s interest in the occult. Comprehensive and yet intimately detailed, When Giants Walked the Earth literally gets into the principals’ heads to bring to life both an unforgettable band and an unrepeatable slice of rock history.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:44 -0400)

Presents the lives and careers of the musicians of Led Zeppelin, discussing their early struggles, their rise to international fame, and the impact of addiction, infighting, and the tragic early death of drummer John Bonham on the band.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,706,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible