Survivor by J. F. Gonzalez

Survivor

by J. F. Gonzalez

It's quite hard to review this book. But if you can stomach the style/genre, please read. It is fantastic, shocking... you will have your book in a death-grip. ( )
  darkonelh3730 | Dec 27, 2013 |
Wow don't go into this book unprepared. It is not for those with weak stomachs. There were times I had to take a break in reading for a fresh breath from the dirt and grime. It does turn into a "who done it" mystery that keeps you reading to the end. Be warned there are some really graphic scenes in this book that will haunt you for a long time. ( )
  mistybattle | Nov 27, 2013 |
*sigh*

A good editor is worth every penny. Lack of one makes this book worth so much less than it could have been. Every problem I had with it could have been fixed. It's hard to be disturbed and terrorized by the story when I kept getting pulled out by repetition, inconsistencies and other assorted issues.

So that was (some of) the bad. The good? Well, the author handles the material well. There are some extreme things going on in this book, but the author knew when to pull back, when to cut scene. The story was there, and that kept me reading, and that's why it got two stars instead of one. ( )
  CWatkinsNash | Sep 23, 2013 |
This book is not for everyone. Heck, I am still not sure it was for me. I have a pretty strong stomach for extreme horror and this novel made even me cringe. The story centers around extreme S&M and the business of snuff. The author does not skimp on the details of these taboo topics. Before you pick this book up, do yourself a favor and read some other reviews to ensure you know what you are getting into. Not a bad story, but extremely graphic. ( )
  JechtShot | Jul 16, 2012 |
I didn't plan it this way but this was the second book in a two week period that I finished which happened to be centered around snuff films. The other was Edward Lee's THE HOUSE. It's not like I tried to do so nor are snuff films a usual plot device; it's not unusual but it's definitely not common. Regardless, it was SURVIVOR which I liked more. There is a more believable and solid plot. The story has the gross-out and over-the-top gore that was expected but from characters that are easier to connect with.

Lisa and Brad are driving up to Santa Barbara for a romantic weekend away, a weekend where Lisa plans to tell Brad she's pregnant. Instead a crazy driver ends up scaring the couple and places Brad under a citizen's arrest. While dealing with the circumstances, Lisa gets kidnapped by the same crazy driver, leaving Brad stressed and in the dark about what happened. The events from there unfold naturally with additional characters added in, all of them fighting for their lives and numerous twists.

Gonzalez did a good job with the twists too because he would set it up so that you think one thing, he would bounce it around so many characters could be the mastermind, and then he would twist it completely and left me shocked. I would highly recommend this book, though you do have to have a strong stomach for some of the scenes described. Some people will enjoy. Others will be grossed out, and not in a good way. ( )
1 vote dagon12 | Feb 29, 2012 |

Is an expanded version of

For William Relling, Jr.
RIP Brother
I miss you.
Their neighborhood was deserted.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,994,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible