Critical Path by R. Buckminster Fuller

Critical Path (1981)

by R. Buckminster Fuller

R. Buckminster Fuller is regarded as one of the most important figures of the 20th century, renowned for his achievements as an inventor, designer, architect, philosopher, mathematician, and dogged individualist. Perhaps best remembered for the Geodesic Dome and the term Spaceship Earth, his work and his writings have had a profound impact on modern life and thought. Critical Path is Fuller's master work--the summing up of a lifetime's thought and concern--as urgent and relevant as it was upon its first publication in 1981. Critical Path details how humanity found itself in its current situation—at the limits of the planet's natural resources and facing political, economic, environmental, and ethical crises. The crowning achievement of an extraordinary career, Critical Path offers the reader the excitement of understanding the essential dilemmas of our time and how responsible citizens can rise to meet this ultimate challenge to our future.
1 vote seaward | Jan 20, 2012 |
Quite the book. It's Fuller's attempt to convince humanity of the importance of fundamental change. Fuller's ideas are solid and practical, but perhaps a bit too rational and weird for mainstream adoption. I just don't see widespread use of geodesic domes in the next hundred years or so.

Still, I'm very glad I read it; his history of the events surrounding the two World Wars uncovered many surprises. I do like his view that rapidly improving technology allows us to do more with less, invalidating the old idea that we're going to run out of resources eventually. (For example, there's enough metal in the scrapyards to completely replace many existing new metal needs.) ( )
1 vote BrentNewhall | May 12, 2008 |
Conventional Critical-path conceptioning is linear and self-under-informative.  Only spherically expanding and contracting, spinning, polarly involuting and evoluting orbital-system feedbacks are both comprehensively and incisively informative.  Spherical-orbital critical-feedback circuits are pulsative, tidal, importing and exporting.  Critical-path elements are not overlapping linear modules in a plane:  they are systemically interspiraling complexes of omni-interrelevant regenerative feedback circuits.>br?
-Synergetics 2 [revised]
"Those whom God hath joined together let no one put asunder."
To Ann Hewlett Fuller on this, our 63rd Wedding Anniversary and my 85th Birthday -- July 12, 1980
The Dymaxion World Map shows one world island in one world ocean with no breaks in the continental contours and with no visible distortion of the relative size or shape of any of the cartographic patterning.

R. Buckminster Fuller is regarded as one of the most important figures of the 20th century, renowned for his achievements as an inventor, designer, architect, philosopher, mathematician, and dogged individualist. Perhaps best remembered for the Geodesic Dome and the term "Spaceship Earth," his work and his writings have had a profound impact on modern life and thought.

Critical Path is Fuller's master work--the summing up of a lifetime's thought and concern--as urgent and relevant as it was upon its first publication in 1981. Critical Path details how humanity found itself in its current situation--at the limits of the planet's natural resources and facing political, economic, environmental, and ethical crises.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:04 -0400)

A noted designer and thinker examines our crucial political, economic, ethical, and environmental dilemmas to show how we arrived at the present crisis stage and how humanity can correct its unprecedented threats to Spaceship Earth.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,363,180 books! | Top bar: Always visible