Reaching for the Moon by Buzz Aldrin

Reaching for the Moon

by Buzz Aldrin

Reaching For The Moon by Buzz Aldrin

Buzz Aldrin's story told in his own words starts with him as a child and the stories of childhood that made him want to be an astronaut. Also stories of his career.

Personal Reaction:
Astronauts and Space travel has always been fascinating

Classroom Extension Ideas

1) Have students decorate a moon suit
2) have students tell class what they would take with them to the moon if they had a chance to go. ( )
  MollyG77 | Jul 23, 2017 |
Simple autobiography for children. Paintings of the moon landing are detailed and interesting. The message is simple; aspire to something and work at it. This didn't really work for me, unfortunately. ( )
  themulhern | Jul 8, 2017 |
I really likes this autobiography about Buzz Aldrin because it shows motivation, ambition and dreams. It teaches a really good lesson of to have dreams and to never let them go. Buzz Aldrin was one of the first astronauts to go to the moon. He talks about how he always wanted to be a pilot. He has to work to reach that dream. The next step he took was wanting to be an astronaut. When he first applied, he got denied. However, he did not give upon his dream. He eventually went into space on the Apollo 11 and was one of three men to be the first to walk on the moon. Children can find Buzz Aldrin's story to be very inspirational as I did. It teaches children to set goals and have dreams for them self. The pictures are handsomely done in this book. They are very realistic and look as if they were photographs.
  brittanyyelle | Dec 2, 2015 |
Picture book of the autobiography of Buzz Aldrin. Good overview of his childhood and background before joining NASA. Text does a nice job of providing context for space exploration and some of the skills and characteristics that made Buss a good astronaut. This book gives readers a fuller picture of the life of a man, not just one event. There are many options for further exploration - such as Korean war, fighter planes, West Point, recent space exploration, Space Race, etc. - to link to historical events in context. the text is readable and I think it would be enjoyable for all children as an introductory text to space exploration and NASA. ( )
  zsvandyk | Mar 9, 2015 |
This book talks about the second man's experience of walking on the moon. This book is great for students to read about our history. This book is for grades 3 and up.
  lauramaki | Dec 9, 2014 |

I walked on the moon. This is my journey. But it didn't begin when I stepped on board Apollo 11 on July 1, 1969. It began the day I was born.

Becoming an astronaut took more than education, discipline, and physical strength. It took years of determination and believing that any goal is possible—from riding a bike alone across the George Washington Bridge at age ten to making a footprint on the Moon.

I always knew the Moon was within my reach—and that I was ready to be on the team that would achieve the first landing. But it was still hard to believe when I took my first step onto the Moon's surface.

We all have our own dreams. This is the story of how mine came true.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:02 -0400)

I Walked on the Moon. This is my journey. It didn't begin when I stepped on board Apollo 11 on July 16, 1969. It began the day I was born -- Edwin Eugene Aldrin Jr., whom everyone called Buzz. Becoming an astronaut took more than education, discipline, and physical strength. It took years of determination and believing that any goal is possible -- from riding a bike alone across the George Washington Bridge at age ten to making a footprint on the Moon. I always knew the Moon was within my reach -- and that I was ready to be part of the team that would achieve the first landing. But it was still hard to believe when I took my first step onto the Moon's surface. We all have our own dreams -- this is the story of how mine came true.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,682,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible