Joker by Brian Azzarello

Joker (2008)

by Brian Azzarello, Lee Bermejo (Illustrator)

Series: Joker

Recently added byExeter, private library, singedelespace, JoJo362, MaraBlaise, ofreptiles, rodhilton

My first experience with Batman was through the 1966 series as I was growing up in the 80s. I remember watching it and finding it hilarious.

Holy atomic pile, Batman!

Then as I got older I watched Batman with Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer and George Clooney (Keaton was my nr 1 Batman and still is) and Jack Nicholson was a mad and fun Joker. Then came Christian Bale and with him Hedge Ledger as the Joker and his Joker was a mess, a great mess but very much far away from the Joker of my childhood. And Joker in this graphic novel is very much a dangerous, psychopathic mess just as Joker is in The Dark Knight.

Somehow Joker is released from Arkham Asylum, which is very weird since he is clearly crazy and should be looked up…for good! But he’s back in the street. This story is told through the eyes of Jonny Frost, he’s the guy that picks up the Joker outside the Asylum and he will follow Joker around as he is trying to establish Gotham as his city again. Many famous people will cross path with the Joker and Jonny; The Penguin, Two-face, Harley Quinn, The Riddler, The Croc…and of course Batman.

The Joker is very dark, gritty and violent. It’s not a fun read, The Joker is clearly out of his mind and anyone standing in his way will get hurt and those by his side…well they will get hurt too. I liked the artwork. I liked how he crossed path with other villains and how it slowly led the way to the final confrontation with you know who... ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 11, 2014 |
Joker is a sort of alt-universe look at Batman, with a hyper-realistic version of the characters not unlike the Nolanverse Batman. Killer Croc is just a muscular guy with a skin condition, riddler and penguin and just skinny and short criminals respectively, and so on. The story focuses primarily on Joker, who is drawn to clearly resemble Heath Ledger's portrayal (though he doesn't speak like him), as he is released from Arkham and tries to get back the resources that he had before being locked up. He is working with a driver, who is the narrator for the story.

The book is engaging and well-illustrated, but not without flaws. I love realistic universes in comic books, so this one was appealing to me, but ultimately the plot is quite weak, with a story that never really seems to go anywhere. As with most isolated Batman comics, we're given thin excuses to re-meet classic characters, but the runway show of villains doesn't do much to sustain the book. It ends far too quickly, with Batman being out of the picture for so long that you start to wonder if he's even part of this continuity, only to have him show up at the very end and end the book suddenly.

I also found myself highly annoyed at Harley Quinn. Now she's a stripper, and she has not a single line in the entire book. This kind of crap is why people think comic books are for horny idiot boys, people.

Overall, worth a read, but a bit disappointing. ( )
  rodhilton | Nov 14, 2014 |
I liked this one, especially the artwork. The Joker is unexpectedly released from Arkham Asylum, and sets off on a killing spree to reclaim what has been lost to other villains like Penguin, Riddler, and Two-face.
While on the surface, it seems that Joker is simply a serial killer in this story, it's the interaction and dialogue he has with Jonny Jonny Frost that drives the story and reveals the depth of Joker's insanity. ( )
  ssimon2000 | Jul 17, 2014 |
The perilous life of a Joker henchman. ( )
  Bert.Cielen | Oct 16, 2013 |
Eh. I gotta take a break from the majors again. ( )
  morbusiff | May 9, 2013 |

Brian Azzarelloprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bermejo, LeeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

"Joker is getting out of the madhouse and, though he's laughing, he's not happy. While away, his fellow rogues have sliced and diced his chunk of the pie and sold it off for scrap-- thinking he was gone for good. But now Joker's back on the street and eager to make Gotham bleed like it's never bled before. During this long night of the soul, he'll cross paths with the likes of The Penguin, Two-Face, Killer Croc, Harley Quinn, The Riddler and, of course, The Batman-- and heaven help them all" -- dust jacket.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,462,421 books! | Top bar: Always visible