Willful Creatures: Stories by Aimee Bender

Willful Creatures: Stories (2005)

by Aimee Bender

I read this book again and again and never find it any less enthralling. ( )
  brwilliams387 | Mar 19, 2014 |
Bender's style is witty and sometimes perverse. She likes to tell fables and stories of the fantastic. What I like most about this collection is the amount of realism present in such fantastical stories. My favorite story is the one about Ironhead. ( )
  eidzior | Apr 6, 2013 |
Wonderful mix of stories. I particularly liked "The Meeting"--one of those stories that makes you stop and think at the end of it. ( )
  rlc307 | Apr 4, 2013 |
There is real magic in these stories, and when you pair that with real craft and really unique perspective, it's a win. These stories range from the whimsically profound to the unapologetically honest, all in Bender's singular lyrical voice. I look forward to seeing more great things from this author. ( )
  ApollosCrow | Apr 3, 2013 |
I had only planned on reading a story or two per day. Oops. Upon reading the first story ("Death Watch"), I was enchanted. It was the second story ("The End of the Line"), however, that left me open-mouthed and in awe. I didn't want the book to end. Favorites include:

"Death Watch"
"End of the Line"
"Motherfucker"
"Ironhead"
"Job's Jobs"
"Dearth"
"The Leading Man" ( )
  cait815 | Apr 1, 2013 |
Always unexpected, the events befalling these characters aren’t the whims of a cruel author who enjoys inflicting pain. In fact, Bender feels less the creator of these stories and more a charming hostess who, despite some less than ideal circumstances, makes you comfortable with affable, screwy humor, parlor-room wordplay, and some plain old cute sentences like, “He felt very very tired for four years old.”

For Ardie, Jeanne, and Judith
Ten men go to ten doctors.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0385720971, Paperback)

Aimee Bender’s Willful Creatures conjures a fantastical world in which authentic love blooms. This is a place where a boy with keys for fingers is a hero, a woman’s children are potatoes, and a little boy with an iron for a head is born to a family of pumpkin heads. With her singular mix of surrealism, musical prose, and keenly felt emotion, Bender once again proves herself to be a masterful chronicler of the human condition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:41 -0400)

"Aimee Bender conjures surreal worlds in which authentic emotion blooms. A woman's children may be potatoes, but the love she feels for them is heartbreakingly real. A boy with keys as fingers is seen not as a freak but as a hero. Bender infuses even inanimate objects with human warmth."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,364,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible