dismiss

The Social Life of Information

by John Seely Brown, Paul Duguid

"Should be read by anyone interested in understanding the future," The Times Literary Supplement raved about the original edition of The Social Life of Information. We're now living in that future, and one of the seminal books of the Internet Age is more relevant than ever. The future was a place where technology was supposed to empower individuals and obliterate social organizations. Pundits predicted that information technology would obliterate the need for almost everything--from mass media to bureaucracies, universities, politics, and governments. Clearly, we are not living in that future. The Social Life of Information explains why. John Seely Brown and Paul Duguid show us how to look beyond mere information to the social context that creates and gives meaning to it. Arguing elegantly for the important role that human sociability plays, even--perhaps especially--in the digital world, The Social Life of Information gives us an optimistic look beyond the simplicities of information and individuals. It shows how a better understanding of the contribution that communities, organizations, and institutions make to learning, working, and innovating can lead to the richest possible use of technology in our work and everyday lives. With a new introduction by David Weinberger and reflections by the authors on developments since the book's first publication, this new edition is essential reading for anyone seeking to understand the human place in a digital world.--… (more)
Recently added byprivate library, GeoffSC, Gremdel, hatingongodot, micahth, PDCRead, MadeleineBooks
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding

Good stories of how Xerox repair people actually did their work, involving gossip after hours and idle chit-chat. ( )
  superpatron | Nov 6, 2017 |
This book touches on many aspects of information and knowledge in organisations and education that we covered as part of my Information Management degree so I'm actually surprised I never came to read it then. Despite being published in the late 1990s, it still feels relevant— in some aspects things haven't really changed much after fifteen years of technological advances. ( )
  mari_reads | May 3, 2014 |
The human side of I.T.
  mdstarr | Sep 11, 2011 |
This book is one the most referenced books today when it comes to the future of the information society. The authors present an understanding of the new digital technology and of information that is based on the notion of the social networks. Information can not be seen as free from their social networks. The authors’ claim, that information has a »social life«, changes the preconditions for how we should develop new information technology. The book will help anyone involved in the world of information to reflect on the role and nature of information and technology.
  jonas.lowgren | Nov 29, 2010 |
Even though this book is written before the big web 2.0 boost, the book is still a must for every new media professional interested in developing information technology for social purposes.
  kittyarends | Jun 29, 2010 |

John Seely Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Duguid, Paulmain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Susan and Laura
Living in the information age can occasionally feel like being driven by someone with tunnel vision.

Ellen McCullough, an early Xrefer Boston-based marketing person used to work at Harvard Business School Press and this is one of the titles (along with "Blown to Bits") that she came up with the title for.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,096,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible