dismiss

Strange Brew

by P. N. Elrod (Editor)

Other authors: Patricia Briggs (Contributor), Jim Butcher (Contributor), Rachel Caine (Contributor), Karen Chance (Contributor), P. N. Elrod (Contributor)4 more, Charlaine Harris (Contributor), Faith Hunter (Contributor), Caitlin Kittridge (Contributor), Jenna Maclaine (Contributor)

Series: World of the Marrok ("seeing eye", 8)

A bewitching collection of ghoulish short stories.

English (49)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (51)
Anthology of paranormal stories that run the gambit from Vampires and werewolves to ghosts and other assorted creatures. Fun and quick read overall. ( )
  ChrisWeir | Sep 23, 2019 |
Jim Butcher - Last Call - 3
No real romance, more about wizard detective and lady cop solving crime about Beer seeming to make folks go bad

Karen Chance - Vegas Odds - 5
Intense, sexy, action, suspense and a hot boyfriend. This is the way I want all my novella's to be hot and sensual even without all the details and completion

Hecate's Golden Eye by P.N. Elrod - 4
Evil older sister switches Eye given to her sister, leads her sister to hire someone to switch them back

Ginger by Caitlin Kittredge - 4
Good witch goes undercover to fight the Evil witches. Brought you right into the story

Dark Sins by Jenna MacLaine - 5
Wonderful, rich story. Pulls you right into her world. Righteous vampires abducted by evil human witches

wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
I enjoyed Seeing Eye, Last Call, and Death Warmed Over. The others were interesting but not to my tastes. ( )
  Velmeran | Jan 26, 2019 |
~ 4 Strange Brew Stars ~

I picked this book up just to read Patria Briggs story Seeing Eye, but found myself reading the rest of these quick interesting short story's. I am now going to be checking out several of these authors and who knows I might find my next great read!

My Review On Each Short Story

Seeing Eye by Patria Briggs
- 5 Stars - Magic - Werewolves - Witches

A very nice quick read in Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson & Alpha and Omega series world. Wendy a witch & Tom a werewolf. Wendy does not let her disability affect her, strong women. Tom is very dedicated to protecting his family and what is his. I enjoyed both characters. I like how strong Wendy is and how Tom did not coddle her. I hope we get to see these two again.

Last Call by Jim Butcher
- 4 Stars - Magic - Wizard - Crime

A nice enjoyable quick read in Jim Butcher The Dresden Files series. Harry is a wizard investigator. He goes out for a drink, ends up investigating what happened at the bar, and learning that the mythical gods want to come back and remind humans who is in charge. This picked my interest and I plan to check out this series. I enjoyed the crime/investigation aspect along with magic added into the world.

Death Warmed Over by Rachel Caine
- 5 Stars - Witches - Raising the Dead

I’m not big on resurrection or zombie type books, but this short story was interesting. Holly, licensed seventh-generation witch, with a specialty for raising the dead. Resection witches are ending up dead & Holly has to bring back someone whom she clearly cares about to figure out what is happening. This was an emotional read, I felt for Holly and her situation. The ending I did not see coming, so it was a surprise and I’m curious to know if this is a series or might become one.

Vegas Odds by Karen Chance
- 5 Stars - Magic - Werewolves - Half-breeds

I liked how this one started off with lots of action and it does not stop. Loa is half-were/half-magic user. I felt connected to Loa and could feel her dilemma. She feels like she is not good enough for the Corps and not Were enough for her Were lover. Lia's students for some reason are trying to kill her. Why? You will have to read to find out.

Hecate's Golden Eye by P.N. Elrod
- 4 Stars - Vampires - History - Curses

We are taking into the 1937 where Charles and Jack are detectives/retrieval of items. A neckless has been stollen and they have been hired to get it back. This neckless has a curse on it, which is quit interesting to read about. Jack and Charles work well together and the story is fun to read.

Bacon by Charlaine Harris
- 3 Stars - Vampires - Werewolves - Witches

This was an ok read. We have an interesting concept of vampires who marry werewolves. Dahlia, a vampire and widower was married to a werewolf who was murdered. She wants revenge and has enlisted her vampire friend and one of the pack werwolves to help find those involved in taking out her husband. She concocts a very interesting pay back.

Signature Of The Dead By Faith Hunter
- 4 Stars - Witches - Magic - Sorcerers - Skin walkers

This short story is a prequel in the Jane Yellowrock series. Jane Yellowrock is a skin-walker and only Molly her friend, an earth witch knows about Jane and her special abilities. It was nice seeing what Molly can do. They end up taking out a nest of rouge vampires in this story. We get magic, action and an in-site into the series. I’m curious to check out the series even more now then I was before.

Ginger: A Nocturne City Story by Caitlin Kittredge
- 3.5 Stars - Witch - Magic - Werewolves

This was interesting with its Magical conspiracy storyline. Lina is Rhoda’s sister and somehow she became a werewolf plus she’s a detective. Rhoda Swann, is sister to Lina, a witch who is not very competent in her ablates, ends up going undercover to stop some black magic users. I enjoyed this story and I believe it is part of the Nocturne City series.

Dark Sins by Jenna MacLaine
- 5 Stars - Vampires - Witches - History

I really enjoyed this story. It’s part of the Cin Craven series and I am most decently going to be checking this out. I enjoyed the aspect of the world, war goddess Morgan, vampires, witches, and dark forces all at work. One witch turned vampire must learn how to harness her powers too one day save millions.

angels_gp | Apr 26, 2018 |
Some very nice stories in here. I had read the one by Patricia Briggs before but enjoyed re-reading it here. It was fun to read a short story by O.N. Elrod and re-visit her vampire detective. The Bacon story by Charlaine Harris was a hoot. A nice collection. I liked the stories by the unfamiliar authors as well. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Apr 14, 2017 |

Maclaine, JennaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bark, MimiCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Buzzard, MadelynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Emmett, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,868,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible