Strange Brew by P. N. Elrod

English (43)  French (1)  All languages (44)
Short stories containing Witches and/or Vampires, Strange Brew is a mixed bag, as with most short story collections. The Jim Butcher story is a stand out and most of the others are quite enjoyable. ( )
  Archmage | Apr 6, 2016 |
A collection of short stories by some of the best-known authors in the paranormal romance/urban fantasy genre. Each is set in the author's already popular series. On the plus side, this means the writing is at least readable and some small effort has been put into the world building. On the minus side, nothing important can happen for fear that regular readers of the books will miss out.
Patricia Briggs's "Seeing Eye" would have been good as a book--as a short story, there is barely a climax and the denoument is unbelievably rushed. The last few paragraphs in particular are wretched.

I hate Jim Butcher's Dresden series, so I simply skimmed his "Last Call" and believe it to be just as pedestrian and poorly developed as all his work.

Rachel Caine's "Death Warmed Over" was the highlight of the collection for me, for the simple reason that I like the concept of her story. And the love interest is a zombie!

Karen Chance's "Vegas Odds" has my favorite world and characters and some very good action scenes. But she spent too much time explaining her characters and their backstories, and I felt the romance was shoe-horned in to make her story fit the genre's conventions. Not every heroine needs to date a werewolf biker!

PN Elrod's "Hecate's Golden Eye" was totally lackluster and unconvincing. No emotion, no heat, no memorable characters, and not much of a plot.

Charlaine Harris's "Bacon," about a vampire using a Circe to get revenge, would have been much better under the knife of a good editor.

Faith Hunter's "Signatures of the Dead" has interesting world building and a unique main character. The stand out to me was her friend Jane, a vicious, fearless shapeshifter. I'd like to read more about her. (ETA: having read the first novel about Jane, [b:Skinwalker|5585788|Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1)|Faith Hunter|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1311281076s/5585788.jpg|5757031], I take that back. She is boring and annoying in novel format.)

Caitlin Kittredge's "Ginger" has no point--it just sort of meanders, stumbling as it tries on several different plots at once.

The worst of the book is the last, Jenna Maclaine's "Dark Sins." The love interest immediately calls the heroine "mo ghraidh", the heroine and her bffs are "The Righteous" (who answer only to the High King of the Vampires, btw), and in the end the heroine defeats the baddie cultists (who have chained the vamps to marble alters! naked!) by summoning the Morrigan, who tells our dear heroine that she is the Chosen One. Melodramatic and lazy writing style, as well. Blegh. Definitely giving this author's books a miss. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Thoroughly enjoyed the stories by Patrica Briggs, Jim Butcher, Karen Chance, Faith Hunter and Rachel Caine. In fact that was the reading order. Patricia's, Jim's, and Karen's stories were all within the worlds they've built in their series. Patricia's and Karen's are not main character story lines, but could easily become ones. I have to check to see if my library has gotten Faith's new book that features one of the characters in her short story as the main person. The three of the other authors are known but I haven't gotten interested in their series so skipped their stories. One was a total unknown for me - Jenna MacLaine, and hers was a historical so totally skipped. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Another wonderful and engaging collection of paranormal short stories....

Authors include: P.N. Elrod (ed), Charlaine Harris, Jim Butcher, Patricia Briggs, Rachel Caine, Karen Chance, Faith Hunter, Caitlin Kitteridge, and Jenna Maclaine.

The stories mostly revolved around witches, justice & revenge for wrong doings: Bacon by Harris was funny.

Dark Sins & Signatures of the Dead were a tad too violent/brutal for my tastes, but engaging none-the-less.

Seeing Eye was fascinating.

Hectate's Golden Eye was sleight of hand.
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
An anthology containing several urban fantasy stories. I thought Jim Butcher's Harrty Dresden story was great. Some fo the others were good and a few ere very badly written. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |