Gigi / The Cat by Colette

Gigi / The Cat

by Colette

My daughter will be appearing in Gigi this spring, if winter ever leaves us, so I thought I'd read it. Meh. Based on these two stories, I feel towards Colette what I feel towards Wharton: indifference and a little boredom. Sure, yes, turn-of-the-twentieth-century romantic pairings were hard due to the tremendous inequality of the sexes and the awkward courtship customs of the time. But even knowing the financial importance to an entire family, I just can't feel that teenage student Gigi seducing a wealthy man twice her age is a happy ending. Let alone pretending it is a bit of cleverness on her part. The idea makes my skin crawl. Certainly it doesn't feel like comedy to me.

That the newlyweds in The Cat are so miserable is no surprise. But if the publishers were looking for a cheap image to slap on the cover, couldn't they at least have found one of a Russian Blue, which is what the cat in the story is?

Library copy ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 16, 2016 |
I wanted Madeleine to read Gigi, But it had been years since I read it so I decided to re-read it, something I rarely do. I first read the novella when I was about sixteen, Gigi's age. Before reading it I read rather indiscriminately, after Gigi...well I was ruined for schlock. I love Colette's pure prose, her ability to capture a personality with a few pen strokes. With this re-reading I found it is just as charming, maybe even more so, than I remember it. ( )
1 vote lucybrown | Sep 27, 2015 |
1 vote lucybrown | Sep 27, 2015 |
I was surprised to find such an enjoyable pair of short stories here - especially since with a title like 'The Cat', I had feared the worst. ( )
1 vote soylentgreen23 | Mar 29, 2014 |
The Cat is the story of a love triangle more bizarre than most. Camille is beautiful, young,and she's fallen head over heels in love with Alain. But Alain is already in love with another female. Her name is Saha, and she's a Russian Blue cat...

My complete review of The Cat is on my reading and time travel blog, Book to the Future:
http://booktothefuture.com.au/?p=1423 ( )
  BooktotheFuture | Mar 30, 2013 |

Coletteprimary authorall editionscalculated
Senhouse, RogerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, AntoniaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Don't forget you are going to Aunt Alicia's. Do you hear me, Gilberte? Come here and let me do your curls, Gilberte, do you hear me?'
Edition contains two stories, 'Gigi' and 'The Cat'.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0140183191, Mass Market Paperback)

In these two stories, Colette reveals her grasp of the politics of sex.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:00 -0400)

The musical story of a French girl groomed to be a courtesan, but who blossoms into a lady.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,631,955 books! | Top bar: Always visible