Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman by Haruki…

Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman

by Haruki Murakami

Recently added bysbnicar, joseinfaval, MalkhutSefirah, bflanik21, rcoaguila, SigmundFraud, private library
    On Flying Objects by Emil Hakl (rrmmff2000)
    The Elephant Vanishes by Haruki Murakami (SqueakyChu)
    Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: Same atmosphere, same strangeness, but more murakami.
    Witte Veder by Sanneke van Hassel (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: Hoewel ze zelf geen groot fan is van Murakami, deden zijn verhalen me aan haar werk denken. Elk heeft zijn eigen forte, maar in hun beider beste verhalen overvalt je een sfeer van vervreemding in het dagelijks leven.
    Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto (Anonymous user)

English (46)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (54)
There's something abut short stories by Haruki Murakami that make them so easy for me to read. I think it's the combination of nostalgia for the past, wistfulness in the presence, and the light touch of the mysterious. This collection consisted of 24 short stories that differed in content but had essentially same tone.

If I had to pick my favorites in this collection, these are the ones I'd choose.
"The Mirror" tells of a man who sees an evil self in a mirror and uses a kendo sword to smash that mirror. "A Folklore For My Generation: A Pre-history of Late Stage Capitalism" is the story of a couple who broke up due to different values and how that issue plays out in later years. "A Perfect Day for Kangaroos" is an adorable story of visiting four kangaroos in the zoo. "The Ice Man" is about a woman who marries a sort of "icy" fellow and then moves with him to the South Pole. "Chance Traveler" is about synchronicity in which a woman with a mole on her ear reminds the author of his sister.

I guess I have too many favorites? I would recommend this book, although some stories are better than others. I guess that's the way with any short story collection, but all of the stories in this collection are fun and easy to read. Enjoy! ( )
  SqueakyChu | May 15, 2014 |
This was a collection of 24 short stories written at various points in the author's illustrious career and gathered into a sizable collection. As usual these stories are filled with the weird and offbeat with many musical pieces and jazz artists mentioned and discussed at length. I think the size made the whole collection unwieldy. The stories did not seem to fit together very well. That may also have been a result of the fact that this was a recorded version read by two narrators - on female and one male. The female read the stories that had a female protagonist and the male the ones with a male protagonist. This made sense, but unfortunately I don't think it helped the coherence of the collection and may have added to the problem. I tended to like the stories read by the woman narrator and that had a woman as the main figure. The story that has stayed with me is the one about the surfer in Hawaii and his mother. The other one was about the illustrator and his wife who loved to buy clothes. ( )
  benitastrnad | Jan 19, 2014 |
I've talked about my love for (translated) Japanese writers before. That they have their own style, that their stories seem to take more time to evoke a mood and give you a certain feeling while reading it. My first and favorite Japanese writer is Haruki Murakami, with his weird stories that fall in the genre of magical realism. "Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman" is a short story collection by Murakami. In his introduction Murakami tells us that he either writes novels, or short stories. He won't write on a novel while working on short stories, and vice versa.
This collection has several stories that have the magic that Murakami is known for. Things that are just slightly off, a form of magic in the world that everyone accepts as part of daily life. Some stories are just episodes in a life, dealing with things like coincidence. Some stories seemed familiar, as if I had read them before, or as if they were later explored more deeply in one of his novels.
The collection is very charming, exactly like you would expect from Murakami. No grand action sequences, but magic in small things. Four out of five stars. ( )
  divinenanny | Dec 22, 2013 |
Murakami's worlds are so complete and believable, as strange as they are, that each story becomes a small journey in itself; you can't help but get carried off by the characters and situations. His take on magical realism is beautifully envisioned, and superb in creation. Even in his short stories, the depth of idea is as realized as it is in his novels, and the writing is as graceful and fast-moving as ever. Absolutely recommended. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Sep 29, 2013 |
The first stories have had an amazing effect on me - one that's going to be hard to describe. Could turn out to be one of my favorite authors. ( )
  Yona | May 2, 2013 |
Just as fiction that is purely mundane can be, well, mundane, fiction that is only fantastic is often only dull. Authors such as Paul Auster and Jonathan Carroll are successful precisely because they don't write in one mode or the other, but rather in both, and at the same time. By placing the mundane next to the fantastic these authors are able to show us the beauty of such everyday affairs as coffee or conversation; by placing the fantastic next to the mundane they provide the contrast necessary for readers to discern what makes their fancy other than facile.

No one does this better than Haruki Murakami . . . .
added by dcozy | editThe Japan Times, David Cozy (Dec 3, 2006)

Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gabriel, PhilipTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porta, LourdesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rubin, JayTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Contains

Dabchick by Haruki Murakami

Birthday Girl (Individual Short Story) by Haruki Murakami

New York Mining Disaster (Individual Short Story) by Haruki Murakami

Aeroplane: Or, How He Talked to Himself as if Reciting (Individual Short Story) by Haruki Murakami

The Mirror (Individual Short Story) by Haruki Murakami

A Folklore for my Generation: A Prehistory of Late-Stage Capitalism (Individual Short Story) by Haruki Murakami

When I closed my eyes, the scent of the wind wafted up towards me.
Unlike my first friend, who’d killed himself, these friends never had the time to realize that they were dying. For them it was like climbing up a staircase they’d climbed a million times before and suddenly finding a step missing. (New York Mining Disaster)
It strikes me now that most of the girls in my generation--the moderates, you might dub them--whether virgins or not, agonized over the whole issue of sex. They didn't insist that virginity was such a precious thing, nor did they denounce it as some stupid relic of the past. So what actually happened--sorry, but I'm generalizing again--was that they went with the flow. It all depended on the circumstances and the partner. (A Folklore For My Generation: A Pre-history of Late Stage Capitalism)
I had no real impression of her at all. And it's hard to have a bad impression of somebody you have no impression of. (The Year of Spaghetti)
Thinking about spaghetti that boils eternally but is never done is a sad, sad thing. (The Year of Spaghetti)
Can you imaging how astonished the Italians would be if they knew that what they were exporting in 1971 was really loneliness? (The Year of Spaghetti)

From the surreal to the mundane, an anthology of short fiction captures a full range of human experience, emotion, and relationship in works that chronicle a chance reunion in Italy, a holiday in Hawaii, and a romantic exile in Greece.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,474,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible