Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman by Haruki…

Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman

by Haruki Murakami

On Flying Objects by Emil Hakl (rrmmff2000)
    The Elephant Vanishes by Haruki Murakami (SqueakyChu)
    Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: Same atmosphere, same strangeness, but more murakami.
    Witte Veder by Sanneke van Hassel (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: Hoewel ze zelf geen groot fan is van Murakami, deden zijn verhalen me aan haar werk denken. Elk heeft zijn eigen forte, maar in hun beider beste verhalen overvalt je een sfeer van vervreemding in het dagelijks leven.
    Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto (Anonymous user)

English (51)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (59)
I am a fan of Murakami. Kafka on the Shore is one of my favorite novels, and I've enjoyed quite a few others as well. This is my first foray into his short story fiction, though... and I'm not sure what to think about it.

It reads like Murakami. In the novels, I like this "Murakaminess." I've pondered much over the last few days how to describe Murakami's style, and I can't figure out how to put it into words. Sparse. Pragmatic. Something.

The short stories are fine. Some fall flat, others are quite good, but maybe so many stories is a bad thing for me because it really shines a light on how repetitive he can be. Jazz. Adultery. And emotional flatness that seeps into so many of his characters. An "oh well" attitude that just seems, well... empty.

Perhaps these things just don't translate well into English? I don't know. I'll give another short story collection a shot, though.

And his novels? Still working my way through that cannon. ( )
  ThePortPorts | Mar 6, 2015 |
If you've read Murakami before, you know what you're getting into with these stories. Many of the same motifs - dark bars, bizarre childhoods, nostalgia, swimming, jazz, noir, femme fatale, mysterious appearances/disappearances, ears, pasta. Many of the themes are consistent as well - loneliness, absence, disconnect, multiple realities, deceptive memory. These range in weirdness from day-to-day strangeness to is-this-a-psychological-break events. I find that the way I respond to Murakami depends largely on the mood I'm in when I read it. If you're not feeling it, set it down, come back to it when you're feeling a little more willing to let Haruki take the wheel. ( )
  cattylj | Feb 28, 2015 |
Non so se questo è piu' bello o piu' brutto di altri di M.
Certo è che il senso di equilibrio, e di quiete e tepore che ne deriva, in questi racconti è sempre presente.
Poi ci sono racconti piu' riusciti ed altri meno, ma tutti con la loro tonalità di riferimento, le loro magie ed i loro misteri, la loro chiarezza sintattica e la loro luminosità interiore.
Lunga vita ai M. di questo mondo. ( )
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |
This anthology was hit and miss for me. Normally I become immersed very quickly in Murakami's stories, but I found the first seven stories hard to appreciate. They felt sketchy and incomplete. From Hunting Knife onwards, though, the writing was more like the Murakami I love from his novels. A couple of the stories I had already read in The New Yorker, but re-reading them was good. I also enjoyed reading Man Eating Cats and Firefly, recognising in them the novels they became. My favourites in the collection were The Seventh Man, The Ice Man and The Kidney-Shaped Stone That Moves Every Day. Each is a story that deals with loneliness, relationships and look as, which are classic Murakami themes. He explores them so well. It took me 10 days to work my way through the first third of the anthology, but only a day to finish the rest of the book. Perhaps it is a book for dipping into rather than reading cover to cover. ( )
  missizicks | Nov 22, 2014 |
Each of these stories tears out my heart. They are exhausting but so rewarding to read. ( )
  rockinghorsedreams | Nov 13, 2014 |
Just as fiction that is purely mundane can be, well, mundane, fiction that is only fantastic is often only dull. Authors such as Paul Auster and Jonathan Carroll are successful precisely because they don't write in one mode or the other, but rather in both, and at the same time. By placing the mundane next to the fantastic these authors are able to show us the beauty of such everyday affairs as coffee or conversation; by placing the fantastic next to the mundane they provide the contrast necessary for readers to discern what makes their fancy other than facile.

No one does this better than Haruki Murakami . . . .
added by dcozy | editThe Japan Times, David Cozy (Dec 3, 2006)

Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gabriel, PhilipTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porta, LourdesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rubin, JayTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Contains

Dabchick by Haruki Murakami

Birthday Girl (Individual Short Story) by Haruki Murakami

New York Mining Disaster (Individual Short Story) by Haruki Murakami

Aeroplane: Or, How He Talked to Himself as if Reciting (Individual Short Story) by Haruki Murakami

The Mirror (Individual Short Story) by Haruki Murakami

A Folklore for my Generation: A Prehistory of Late-Stage Capitalism (Individual Short Story) by Haruki Murakami

When I closed my eyes, the scent of the wind wafted up towards me.
Unlike my first friend, who’d killed himself, these friends never had the time to realize that they were dying. For them it was like climbing up a staircase they’d climbed a million times before and suddenly finding a step missing. (New York Mining Disaster)
It strikes me now that most of the girls in my generation--the moderates, you might dub them--whether virgins or not, agonized over the whole issue of sex. They didn't insist that virginity was such a precious thing, nor did they denounce it as some stupid relic of the past. So what actually happened--sorry, but I'm generalizing again--was that they went with the flow. It all depended on the circumstances and the partner. (A Folklore For My Generation: A Pre-history of Late Stage Capitalism)
I had no real impression of her at all. And it's hard to have a bad impression of somebody you have no impression of. (The Year of Spaghetti)
Thinking about spaghetti that boils eternally but is never done is a sad, sad thing. (The Year of Spaghetti)
Can you imaging how astonished the Italians would be if they knew that what they were exporting in 1971 was really loneliness? (The Year of Spaghetti)

From the surreal to the mundane, an anthology of short fiction captures a full range of human experience, emotion, and relationship in works that chronicle a chance reunion in Italy, a holiday in Hawaii, and a romantic exile in Greece.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,153,666 books! | Top bar: Always visible