Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman (Vintage…

Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman (Vintage International) (original 2013; edition 2007)

by Haruki Murakami

Member:R_Whitacre
Title:Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman (Vintage International)
Authors:Haruki Murakami
Info:Vintage (2007), Paperback, 384 pages

Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman by Haruki Murakami (2013)

On Flying Objects by Emil Hakl (rrmmff2000)
    Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: Same atmosphere, same strangeness, but more murakami.
    The Elephant Vanishes by Haruki Murakami (SqueakyChu)
    Witte Veder by Sanneke van Hassel (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: Hoewel ze zelf geen groot fan is van Murakami, deden zijn verhalen me aan haar werk denken. Elk heeft zijn eigen forte, maar in hun beider beste verhalen overvalt je een sfeer van vervreemding in het dagelijks leven.
    Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto (Anonymous user)

English (59)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (68)
Solamente un par de cuentos de este volumen me parecieron buenos, los demás son muy pretenciosos y nunca llevan a nada. ( )
  LeoOrozco | Feb 26, 2019 |
i just don't think his short stories are for me unfortunately ( )
  ireneattolia | Sep 3, 2018 |
I love Murakami for his unique way of writing. He's one in a million. You can read a bunch of books without knowing the author's name and you could still spot the Murakami book. I don't enjoy reading short stories so much but this book contains 24 surprises. You don't know what to expect and even if the plot is dull, he writes it in a way that keeps you interested but for sure nothing is what you expect to be. ( )
  Denicbt | Feb 5, 2018 |
This was a bit hit and miss. Some stories I really liked (The Mirror, Tony Takitani, Chance Traveller), while some just seemed strange for the sake of it (Dabchick, A 'Poor Aunt' Story). On the whole I think Murakami's style works better in long form. The weirdness and matter-of-fact style from his other stuff is still there, but without any real plot or characters to invest in it didn't really work for me. ( )
  plumtingz | Dec 14, 2017 |
Murakami has a real way with injecting the bizarre into the ordinary. I don’t know if it can be called a form of magical realism, but if not it gets very close. I enjoyed these stories thoroughly, even the ones I’m not sure I understood, like the title story. That’s OK, I liked reading it and I’m sure I’m going to like re-reading it to see if I can get a better grip on it. ( )
  BooksCatsEtc | Jun 9, 2017 |
Just as fiction that is purely mundane can be, well, mundane, fiction that is only fantastic is often only dull. Authors such as Paul Auster and Jonathan Carroll are successful precisely because they don't write in one mode or the other, but rather in both, and at the same time. By placing the mundane next to the fantastic these authors are able to show us the beauty of such everyday affairs as coffee or conversation; by placing the fantastic next to the mundane they provide the contrast necessary for readers to discern what makes their fancy other than facile.

No one does this better than Haruki Murakami . . . .
added by dcozy | editThe Japan Times, David Cozy (Dec 3, 2006)

Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionscalculated

Contains

Dabchick (in McSweeney's 4 - EGGERS) by Haruki Murakami

Birthday Girl by Haruki Murakami

New York Mining Disaster (Individual Short Story) by Haruki Murakami

Aeroplane: Or, How He Talked to Himself as if Reciting (Individual Short Story) by Haruki Murakami

The Mirror (Individual Short Story) by Haruki Murakami

A Folklore for my Generation: A Prehistory of Late-Stage Capitalism (Individual Short Story) by Haruki Murakami

When I closed my eyes, the scent of the wind wafted up towards me.
Unlike my first friend, who’d killed himself, these friends never had the time to realize that they were dying. For them it was like climbing up a staircase they’d climbed a million times before and suddenly finding a step missing. (New York Mining Disaster)
It strikes me now that most of the girls in my generation--the moderates, you might dub them--whether virgins or not, agonized over the whole issue of sex. They didn't insist that virginity was such a precious thing, nor did they denounce it as some stupid relic of the past. So what actually happened--sorry, but I'm generalizing again--was that they went with the flow. It all depended on the circumstances and the partner. (A Folklore For My Generation: A Pre-history of Late Stage Capitalism)
I had no real impression of her at all. And it's hard to have a bad impression of somebody you have no impression of. (The Year of Spaghetti)
Thinking about spaghetti that boils eternally but is never done is a sad, sad thing. (The Year of Spaghetti)
Can you imaging how astonished the Italians would be if they knew that what they were exporting in 1971 was really loneliness? (The Year of Spaghetti)

From the surreal to the mundane, an anthology of short fiction captures a full range of human experience, emotion, and relationship in works that chronicle a chance reunion in Italy, a holiday in Hawaii, and a romantic exile in Greece.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,478,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible