Sicilian Tragedee: A Novel by Ottavio…

Sicilian Tragedee: A Novel (2007)

by Ottavio Cappellani

English (13)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (15)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have tried reading this book many times for a review. It's hard to get into and had to give up after about 75 pages.
  supertalya | Nov 8, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A nice little crime comedy. A bit hard to follow at first with all the Italian names, but once I got acquainted with the characters, it was quite a bit of fun. ( )
  Shortride | Aug 12, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I could not even finish this book. Maybe something got lost in the translation, however I could not get into this book. I may re-try reading this at a later time. ( )
  vgusg1rl | May 2, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This novel is a rollicking romantic melodrama. It’s difficult to know what to take seriously, and what is intended as satire or over-the-top farce. Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed the ride along the way. The authentic Sicilian flavor comes through in certain references and phrases. I also enjoyed this book’s humor and colorful, if unrealistic, characters. Though sometimes obtuse, I enjoyed the uniqueness of this novel. ( )
  checkadawson | Mar 4, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am an Italophile. Having my roots in sicily and LeMarche, I am drawn to anything written about Italy...from a treatise to a recipe! So I was elated to receive a copy of Sicilian Tragedee as an Early Reviewer book. I have to admit, I had difficulty being engaged at first. It is set in Catania, a city I have often passed through after arriving at the airport enroute to visit my relatives. This is a perfect setting for this theatrical novel. Everything about this story is over-the-top. The characters and personalities, the language, the descriptions, the actions are all slightly less than believable or rather slightly more than believable...yet within them is a lingering taste of the authentic. It was only when I stopped looking for the "usual" and allowed myself to go with the flow that I became swept up in the experience. If you enjoy movies that exaggerate the Italian stereotype, this book is for you. ( )
  SignoraEdie | Feb 25, 2010 |

Ottavio Cappellaniprimary authorall editionscalculated
Randall, FrederikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Two months later.

Part Tarantino-style operetta, part soap opera, Ottavio Cappellani's hilarious novel takes place in a twenty-first-century Sicily rife with moody aristocrats, vain politicians, inept gangsters, shabby theater actors, and high-tech assassins. Balding, fortyish Alfio Turrisi is a mid-level Mafioso with deep pockets. He's in love with Betty, the spoiled daughter of a rival mobster. Alfio and Betty would seem to be the Romeo and Juliet of this poison-pen valentine to Cappellani's native Sicily.  That is, until we meet another pair of star-crossed lovers: the gay theater director Tino Cagnotto and his bored and sexy young amore, Bobo.  Because the way Tino sees it, the real heat in that tragedy is between Romeo and Mercutio, not Romeo and Juliet . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:07 -0400)

"Part Tarantino-style operetta, part soap opera, Ottavio Cappellani's novel - set in a twenty-first-century Sicily rife with moody aristocrats, vain politicians, inept gangsters, shabby theater actors, and high-tech killers - is also a surprising tribute to the Bard." "Balding, fortysomething Alfio Turrisi, an up-and-coming mafioso in Catania, has the deep pockets London's financial world loves. He, in turn, loves Betty, the spoiled young daughter of Turi Pirrotta, a rival Catanian mobster. Alfio and Betty would seem to be the Romeo and Juliet of this poison pen valentine to Cappellani's native Sicily. That is, until we meet another pair of star-crossed lovers: the gay theater director Tino Cagnotto and his bored and sexy young amore, Bobo. Because the way Tino sees it, the real heat in Shakespeare's tragedy is between Romeo and Mercutio, not Romeo and Juliet."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Sicilian Tragedee by Ottavio Cappellani was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,342,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible