Illegal by Paul Levine

Jimmy ("Royal") Payne finds himself mixed up with a 12 year old illegal immigrant. He and his mother were separated when they tried to cross the border. Jimmy is on the fast track to self- destruction after his son is killed in an automobile accident by a drunk illegal from Mexico. Jimmy,wants revenge, but he also wants to help this young boy find his mother . ( )
  creighley | Jun 28, 2015 |
Very well written book. Engaging story that keeps the pages turning. This is my second Paul Levine novel but it certainly will not be my last. ( )
  mrscherer | Apr 14, 2013 |
Right from the start, I was caught up in the two main stories and didn't mind the switching from one to the other at all. Levine kept them both moving along at a fast pace and neither had any dull moments. My only complaint, which affected me a lot, were the scenes and talk of the se*ual slavery. It took the wind out of my sails. I almost dropped the rating more, but I enjoyed the first two-thirds too much to rate it lower. Illegal was a very good introduction to this new-to-me author. I will definitely be seeking out his past work and future novels of Jimmy Payne.

Originally posted on: Thoughts of Joy ( )
  ThoughtsofJoyLibrary | Jul 5, 2012 |
A boy unable to protect his mother alone. A man who couldn't protect his son. Together, they change their own lives, and the lives of those around them, fighting hard for what they know is right.Who?Jimmy Payne: A divorced lawyer in California who represents "undesirables."Sharon Payne: Jimmy's ex-wife.Marisol and Tino: Mother and son from Mexico who cross into the US illegally after Tino's life is threatened.Simon Rutledge: A California farmer who hires illegal immigrants to work on his farms.What?Marisol and Tino need to get out of Mexico, but get split up during the crossing. Before they left, Marisol gave her son the business card of a great American lawyer, telling him that if anything happened, he was to find the lawyer, and he would help. After a botched sting operation, Jimmy is trying to get out of town, but before he can leave, a Mexican boy shows up on his doorstep asking for help finding his mother.Where?California and Mexico.When?Modern.Why?Marisol is protecting her son, just as Tino is protecting his mother. Jimmy had been looking for something to change his life, knowing that he was going nowhere and getting in trouble on the way. When he helps Tino, it serves as his change, his chance to be a better man and do something good for a change.Favorite Parts:My favorite part of the book was Tino. He is such a great character, at that age where he wants to be a man, but is still considered a child. He has a fierce loyalty, and there is no limit to what he will do for those he loves. Jimmy makes a great flawed hero, and while he may not feel entirely original, it is in the way that people remind you of people you already know. The setting descriptions were great, and Paul Levine doesn't hold back on what the immigrants go through, which I really appreciated.A few of my favorite quotes from the book:The house was a one-story, two-bedroom California bungalow with a small porch devoid of furniture. The faded green stucco could use a fresh coat of paint. The dreary 1950's kitchen smelled of mildew, the low-pitched roof leaking during winter rains. The perfect home for the unhappily divorced man. (p. 26)But then he came to a realization that startled him, made him feel the passage from boyhood to manhood in one moment of flaming brilliance, as if from a shooting star. He cared for another person more than for himself. So he was not afraid to die. But he could not stand the thought of his mother's heartache if tonight he vanished from the face of the earth. (p. 51)To Payne, he resembled Heinrich Himmler, though without the sense of humor. (p. 54)On this night, at home, he put on jeans, running shoes, and an orange-and-black Barry Bonds T-shirt. He wasn't a fan of the San Francisco Giants or their former steroid-pumped slugger. He just liked to piss off people. (p. 85)Not exactly the problems of kids from bel-Air or Beverly Hills. Missing a goal in soccer practice or losing the debate tournament didn't measure up. (p. 242)Least Favorite Parts:While these weren't a huge problem for me, the use of Spanish words may bother some readers, as might the use of profanity, violence, and sexual situations. My biggest problem was that I couldn't get as absorbed into the book as I usually do, and I think it's mainly because it's just not the type of book I really enjoy.Recommend?Yes.To whom?To those who enjoy contemporary thrillers or novels with social issues (illegal immigration).READ MORE REVIEWS AT http://sschpagepals.blogspot.com
  tichwi | Sep 10, 2010 |
Illegal is a crime thriller based on the story of attorney Jimmy Payne, a.k.a. J. Atticus Payne, who is not the most likeable character in the beginning of this story. He is pretty much a schmuck – offering a bribe to a judge, keeping part of the bribe money for himself, and then on the run to escape the law.

It is a well-written story that captures and holds the reader’s attention. We follow the tale of Tino Perez and his mother, Marisol, who are attempting to flee Mexico and start a new life in the US, which is where the title comes from. It is an interesting view on the illegal aliens pouring through the border and how the lives of those involved are intertwined. When Tino and Jimmy meet, the story gets even better and the reader really starts to warm up to Jimmy’s better side. He redeems himself in the end by aiding Tino find his mother.

Published by Bantam Books in April 2009, this was an advance reader copy and I would highly recommend the novel to those interested in crime novels. One can see that author Paul Levine, as a former trial attorney, really understands the law and lawyers. ( )
  lynnmellw | Sep 14, 2009 |

"Mia Montrose, archaeological linguist, has discovered that the Black Madonna is a code used by secret societies throughout time for the lost key to an ancient power source: the Sphere of Amenti. Kali, inter-dimensional Queen of the Anunnaki -now fully merged with the youngest Dragon Queen, Tamar Devere - has less than a year to rehabilitate her Fallen kindred who desire inter-galactic domination. Ashlee Granville-Devere, and the Dragon Queens must pool their talents to open the twelve Stations of the Signet Grid and unlock the Halls of Amenti lest the Fallen succeed in using time-travel technologies to destroy humanity. From the ancient past to the distant future, from Montsg ur to the way-stations of the universe, from the Underworld of the Kali Rift to the Otherworld of the Ranna Time Flow - the inter-time war must be won for the sake of the future."--Provided by publisher.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Paul Levine's book Illegal was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,797,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible