Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols

Going Too Far (2009)

by Jennifer Echols

After devouring Kody Keplinger’s The DUFF, I felt like binge-reading teen romance, and Going Too Far fit the bill. It’s a touching, sexy love story about two rather broken individuals. It’s not perfect, but I definitely enjoyed it. I had difficulty putting it down. If this book sounds like your kind of thing, I recommend giving it a try. ( )
  les121 | Nov 27, 2014 |

Hmm. Some books you get, others you just don't. Going Too Far falls into the latter category for me. Although the central premise - bad girl gets stuck in a ride along with a broody, sexy cop for a week - is a good one, I was never more than superficially interested in the outcome. The writing is generally snappy and believable and Johnafter has moments of swoonage. But, and this is a big cliched/nostalgic Bridget Jones sized butt, the reveal about Meg came and I... groaned, the story lost me. I no longer cared that Meg has blue hair (blue hair, you know!) or John's history with the bridge, or Meg's underwritten, absent parents. I think this is a failing on my part rather than the author's. I just didn't get it. ( )
  ManthaLockett | Jun 1, 2014 |
This book took a little while to get into, especially since Echols had me envisioning an older cop with fourteen kids and then flips it around to someone who is nineteen years old. That was a difficult shift for me to make, particularly since once I mentally lock on to what I think a character looks like, it's hard for me to change that image later on.

That being said, once I did make the mental shift to seeing John as a mature-for-his-age teenager, I really enjoyed the story. Both main characters have some serious baggage and there is one point where Meg says "What have we done to each other?" that is particularly poignant. There was a tremendous amount of tension, like the two of them were reaching toward one another while running on logs in a lake, only to slip and fall and have to start over again. At times, it felt like they would never cross the divide that separated them without killing each other, but the book has a very satisfying ending.

From a writing perspective, I thought Echols' prose was clear, realistic, and easy to read with the exception of one phrase that she used a few times throughout the book: "I am full of fear." I can't say I've ever heard anyone say that (it sounds very stuffy and insincere, especially if you ARE full of fear). Terms like "afraid" and "scared" are much more natural, so I'm not sure why she chose the "full of fear" phrase. It tripped me each time she used it. That, and the eye-rolling, groan-inducing, you-just-had-to-go-there time when she said "happily ever After" referring to John's odd last name.

So beside those few pet peeves, the book was great. I'd definitely recommend it for those who like more mature YA novels. ( )
  CyndiTefft | Feb 7, 2014 |
Nothing spectacular. There's one amazing plot twist involving Meg that you'll never see coming, and there's a less amazing, super predictable plot twist about John that's pretty obvious from the get-go. Beyond that, it feels like this book is trying to purposefully be edgier than it actually is, which is always annoying to read. But if you're looking for a quick YA filler, might as well check it out, Echols' name is out there as one of the bigger YA authors if you want to read the book just to sample her work ( )
  Runa | Oct 29, 2013 |
4.5 stars

This was my first foray into Echols' writing, and I think it was a great one to start with.

The premise was unique, although it was a little strange to be reading about a 19 year old cop (I'm glad she briefly touched on that in the story). I really loved almost everything about this book. John was...*sigh* so perfect. I can't think of a better way to describe him. His personality traits were balanced beautifully with each other to give us a well-rounded, if flawed, hero.

Meg, on the other hand, was why I rounded down from my 4.5 to a 4 rather than rounding up. I found myself getting mad at her for a lot of the book. Yes, she was only 17 so some of her behavior is to be expected, but I found her attitude immature and downright cruel at times.

Also, there were parts of the book that I was TOTALLY lost in. I still haven't figured some of them out, so I guess I'mma hafta have someone smarter than me explain them to me. ;)

Overall, this was a great read that I thoroughly enjoyed. And I've now added every single Echols' book to my TBR list. :) ( )
  CreativeJunkie | Sep 23, 2013 |
For Cathy and Vicki, who egged me on.
Heartfelt thanks to my editor, Jennifer Heddle, who pushed this book where I was scared to go; to Caren Johnson; and as always to my critique partners, Victoria Dahl and Catherine Chant.
"That's the worst idea I've ever heard," I told Eric. Then I took another sip of beer and swallowed. "Let's do it."

Forced to spend spring break in a Birmingham, Alabama, suburb riding along with an attractive rookie police officer on the night shift, rebellious seventeen-year-old Meg finds herself falling unexpectedly in love.

Jennifer Echols is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,398,255 books! | Top bar: Always visible