Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols

Going Too Far (2009)

by Jennifer Echols

I wasn't going to review this book because I read it this afternoon, yup, in one sitting. It engaged me initially. I liked the character. I didn't know what her problem was, why she decided that she need to dye her hair blue. I know kids who dye their hair blue and it isn't an issue.

I didn't wonder why her folks were pissed. She was obviously a rebel.

I didn't wonder why she was trying to find love through sex, or maybe just trying to find feeling through sex. Despite what some people might think, this again is not new.

However, everything together, all of it, swept me in. I wanted to know what was going to happen.

Meg isn't average. She's obviously smart. She runs. Why does she do that? She is introspective and observant. It quickly becomes obvious that she has been doing herself a huge disservice.

There is more, lots more. I think that this is the gift that Jennifer Echols is giving. The story is not obvious. The characters are not obvious. They are well-written and they grow; all of them grow. Nothing is static.

Kudos. ( )
  SaschaD | Apr 28, 2016 |
It ended up being an okay book. There were a few things that were implausible (like a 19 year old cop) and sometimes I didn't know what the characters were saying (the dialogue would get really hinky). But the idea of the story was good and it was hard to put down (after you got past the first five chapters). I probably would not recommend this book to anyone, unless I knew they were a sap for these kind of stories. ( )
  danaaa_99 | Apr 6, 2016 |
Really, really good book. ( )
  ThilW | Jan 26, 2016 |
Really, really good book. ( )
  ThilW | Jan 26, 2016 |
This was a typical teenage romance. Both characters had serious issues, but of course they helped each other overcome their insecurities. Meg, the female protagonist, annoyed me most of the time, not because she was a wild child, but because of her constant thoughts and trivial views about sex. John, on the other hand was a sweetie but was far too serious for a nineteen-year-old. Overall, ho-hum! ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
For Cathy and Vicki, who egged me on.
Heartfelt thanks to my editor, Jennifer Heddle, who pushed this book where I was scared to go; to Caren Johnson; and as always to my critique partners, Victoria Dahl and Catherine Chant.
"That's the worst idea I've ever heard," I told Eric. Then I took another sip of beer and swallowed. "Let's do it."

Forced to spend spring break in a Birmingham, Alabama, suburb riding along with an attractive rookie police officer on the night shift, rebellious seventeen-year-old Meg finds herself falling unexpectedly in love.

Jennifer Echols is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,108,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible