dismiss

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens

David Copperfield (1850)

by Charles Dickens

16,573213203 (4.1)4 / 1119
Charles Dickens' 1850 classic epic, David Copperfield, unfolds the story of David, an optimistic and hard-working lad who's orphaned in his youth. Raised initially by his brutal stepfather, who halts David's schooling and sends him to work in a factory, David eventually finds a home with his eccentric, but kind aunt, Betsey. Later in life, David trains for a career in law, but eventually becomes a writer.… (more)
    A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (ncgraham)
    Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens (aces)
    Charles Dickens: A Life by Claire Tomalin (hazzabamboo)
    hazzabamboo: David Copperfield is partly autobiographical, and it's fascinating to compare it to Tomalin's fascinating, shrewd biography.
    Dickens' London by Charles Dickens (BINDINGSTHATLAST)
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (kara.shamy)
    Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Bildungsroman
    A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: In A Tale of Two Cities Dickens reworked the ideas around self-sacrifice that he used in The Battle of Life into a full length novel
    A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce (kara.shamy)
Read (21)

English (200)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (213)
Until a couple of weeks ago, I thought I would never ever read this - nearly 1000 pages of Dickens? NEVER. Oh, the things one does for points in a team challenge...

Turns out this is really good, and I wasn't ever bored throughout the whole thing! And I read all of it within a week! The wonderful audiobook narration by Richard Armitage (which I listened to while reading) most definitely had something to do with that - and after about 100 pages, I even stopped picturing Mr Thornton the whole time.

While Pip in Great Expectations annoyed me from time to time, I really liked the character of David Copperfield! Following him and his friends (and enemies) throughout so many years was really fun and I enjoyed how their paths intersected time and time again - though I also could've done without some of these people (the 'umble Uriah Heep, first and foremost, the Murdstones as well, and Mr Micawber too, to be quite honest... and Steerforth, of course!), but what would the story have been without those? Betsey Trotwood and Mr Dick were always a delight whenever they showed up, nobody in here made me laugh like Betsey Trotwood did! And Agnes, I'm so glad that she got her happy ending in the end.
  j_tuffi | May 30, 2020 |
Written in 1850, Dickens' 16th major work, and 8th novel, is a solid four-star work. Combining the picaresque bildungsroman from Dickens' early period with the more complex character studies he was becoming known for, it's perhaps his best book to this point. Perhaps because parts of the novel are autobiographical, David starts to feel a bit real in a sense that perhaps no other character in his canon had perhaps yet reached. There's a wonderful array of supporting characters and a real sense of forward movement and thematic unity. I'm ultimately more in tune with Dickens' last works, but David Copperfield is another rung on Dickens' ladder to immortality. He's not a Tolstoy or a Flaubert, and we shouldn't expect him to be. He treats character more as something to be chronicled than to be dissected. Nevertheless, there are many great, detailed little moments in David's life, and the world around him, that suggest the continuous development of this great author. ( )
  therebelprince | Apr 27, 2020 |
823.8 DIC
  alessandragg | Apr 16, 2020 |
Wow… very long. Interesting, but needed dogged determination to finish. Good!
  JohnLavik | Mar 29, 2020 |
Based on the 1868-70 edition revised by the author; incorporates passages from manuscript that were removed for serial publication and not heretofore printed. ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 20, 2020 |
David Copperfield relates the story of his life - transmuting many of the early experience of his creator - right from his birth to his attainment of settled maturity and successful authorship. On his journey, David encounters a gallery of memorable characters, kind, cruel or grotesque: Mr Micawber, Uriah Heep and Steerforth are among the many who shape his development.

By turns absorbingly comic, dramatic, ironic and tender, the novel brings into energetic life the society and preoccupations of the mid-Victorian world
added by letonia | editPenguin Popular Classics

Contains

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a student's study guide

Affectionately inscribed to the Hon. Mr and Mrs Richard Watson, of Rockingham, Northamptonshire
Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show. To begin my life with the beginning of my life, I record that I was born (as I have been informed and believe) on a Friday, at twelve o’clock at night. It was remarked that the clock began to strike, and I began to cry, simultaneously.
I shall never desert Mr. Micawber.
This is the main work for David Copperfield. It should not be combined with any adaptation, abridgement, student edition, etc. If this is your book but you have an abridged or adapted version, please update your title and ISBN, so that your book can be combined with the correct abridgement or adaptation.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140439447, 0141031751, 0141199164, 0141343826

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,641,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible