David Copperfield by Charles Dickens

Title:David Copperfield
Authors:Charles Dickens
Info:Unknown
Collections:Favorites - Classics, Read but unowned

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (1850)

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (ncgraham)
    Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens (aces)
    Charles Dickens: a life by Claire Tomalin (hazzabamboo)
    hazzabamboo: David Copperfield is partly autobiographical, and it's fascinating to compare it to Tomalin's fascinating, shrewd biography.
    Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Bildungsroman
    A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce (kara.shamy)
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (kara.shamy)

English (140)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (146)
This book is difficult to rate or review. Unlike other of Dicken's novel, this is quite interesting, fast paced, full of actions, events and dialogues. Book is long but delight to read. While interest isn't like mystery novel (which it doesn't claim to be) but is fairly strong that reader is kept longing for story to move forward. And yet, when story does end, this is no aftertaste, no lingering feelings or thoughts, no loss of narrative, no sadness of not knowing fate of characters any more. This is a good book no doubt: humour is well written, characters are greatly developed, events and storytelling is compelling, but it's also a book which is great while being read, and equally forgettable when finished. Rating thus, perhaps, stays in middle to reflect that very mindset. ( )
  ashishg | Dec 1, 2014 |
A beautiful edition of a great old story. ( )
  gregoryolney | Nov 18, 2014 |
Quite a saga. A veritable classic in its own right. Probably one of the most reviewed books there ever was... So I will be short. This enormous novel became part of me - even though I read it with some breaks (devoted to other books). The semi-biographical story is compelling, the characters will live in my mind for a long time. Mildly criticizing one of his characters (Mr. Micawber), Dickens says: "We talk about the tyranny of words, but we like to tyrannize over them too; we are fond of having a large superfluous establishment of words to wait upon us on great occasions; we think it looks important, and sounds well." And "....as slaves when they are too numerous rise against their masters, so I think I could mention a nation that has got into many great difficulties, and will get into many greater, from maintaining too large a retinue of words." Slightly ironic, I have to say - as if the author is admonishing his own prolifically verbose self. ( )
1 vote Clara53 | Oct 8, 2014 |
Beautiful prose, but kind of boring...Sorry all you Dickites. ( )
  DanielAlgara | Sep 26, 2014 |
I'm not gonna pull a Dickens on you and turn this into a 600 page novel about the life of a boy. I will tell you that Dickens loved this book and related most to David. Full of Dickens' intricate descriptions and sarcasm. Read it. ( )
  Rosenstern | Sep 14, 2014 |

Priestley, J. B.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, EdithEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, Edithsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winterich, John T.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Affectionately inscribed to the Hon. Mr and Mrs Richard Watson, of Rockingham, Northamptonshire
Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show. To begin my life with the beginning of my life, I record that I was born (as I have been informed and believe) on a Friday, at twelve o’clock at night. It was remarked that the clock began to strike, and I began to cry, simultaneously.
I shall never desert Mr. Micawber
To begin my life with the beginning of my life, I record that I was born (as I have been informed and believe) on a Friday, at twelve o'clock at night.
This is the main work for David Copperfield. It should not be combined with any adaptation, abridgement, student edition, etc. If this is your book but you have an abridged or adapted version, please update your title and ISBN, so that your book can be combined with the correct abridgement or adaptation.

blurb; Here is one of the greatest books of all time, a book whose magnificent scope and narrative power have captivated readers for over a hundred years, and will continue to do so as long as man can read.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140439447, Paperback)

Beginning in 1854 up through to his death in 1870, Charles Dickens abridged and adapted many of his more popular works and performed them as staged readings. This version, each page illustrated with lovely watercolor paintings, is a beautiful example of one of these adaptations.

Because it is quite seriously abridged, the story concentrates primarily on the extended family of Mr. Peggotty: his orphaned nephew, Ham; his adopted niece, Little Emily; and Mrs. Gummidge, self-described as "a lone lorn creetur and everythink went contrairy with her." When Little Emily runs away with Copperfield's former schoolmate, leaving Mr. Peggotty completely brokenhearted, the whole family is thrown into turmoil. But Dickens weaves some comic relief throughout the story with the introduction of Mr. and Mrs. Micawber, and David's love for his pretty, silly "child-wife," Dora. Dark nights, mysterious locations, and the final destructive storm provide classic Dickensian drama. Although this is not David Copperfield in its entirety, it is a great introduction to the world and the language of Charles Dickens.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:54 -0400)

A young boy in nineteenth-century London runs away from an unhappy home, finds employment in a wine factory, and becomes acquainted with a wide variety of characters in the city streets.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140439447, 0141031751, 0141199164, 0141343826

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,355,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible