David Copperfield

David Copperfield (original 1850; edition 1988)

12,793155182 (4.11)3 / 818
Title:David Copperfield
Info:United States : Turner Entertainment Co., 1988.
Tags:Volwassen worden, Engeland, 19de eeuw

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (1850)

English (144)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (153)
Required reading for college: See review of Great Expectations. It'd be the same for this one. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Tough start for mr copperfield ( )
  keithgordonvernon | Apr 1, 2015 |
From the night of his birth to finally coming together with his real true love, we follow David Copperfield through thick and thin. Copperfield had a very bad hand dealt him from his father dying before he was born to having to take on a vicious stepfather, being motherless, sent away to a factor to work as a very young child and finally running away and living as a vagabond until he reunites with his aunt Betsy Trotwood (who he only met on the night of his birth). But despite his very hard youth he climbs himself out from under it all and gets himself on top, along the way making lots of close friends that most of us would probably try to avoid, but yet we learn they all have something to offer no matter how bizarre or downtrodden.

The characters throughout the book are all well built out and all have their own stories to fight through. I found the best to be Mr Micawber and Mr Peggotty. There is plenty of humor especially with Micawber, Aunt Betsy and his wife Dora. Strong relationships with Traddles, Agnes (his true love), Mr Dick and Steerforth (who was more of a user than a true friend). Tragic characters like Ham Peggotty, Mr Wickfield, Mrs Micawber, Little Emily and Martha. But none as sad and tragic as Copperfield's mother Clara. Copperfield meets more than his fair share of villains in the Murdstones, his first headmaster, Rosa Dartle and Uriah Heep. All these characters (and so many more) are interesting, well developed and always left me eager to turn the page and learn more. ( )
  rayski | Mar 26, 2015 |
My favourite book. First read when I was about 11 and reread often, it had been many years since I last read it. I was anxious that the distance in time might have changed how I responded to this heartfelt story peopled with such real characters. Thankfully, the joy and sorrow remained and I know I am still the same sentimental person inside. Even though I am aware of the flaws - so many unlikely coincidences, cloying pathos at times - it still draws me into its world. Few books move me to tears. This one still does. What more can I say? ( )
  rosiezbanks | Jan 26, 2015 |
It's funny, in a way that reminds me of The Cosby Show. It's the first book that's ever made me cry. By the time I got towards the end, I was as happy for characters with happy endings as I would have been if they were real people. ( )
  comfypants | Dec 22, 2014 |
David Copperfield relates the story of his life - transmuting many of the early experience of his creator - right from his birth to his attainment of settled maturity and successful authorship. On his journey, David encounters a gallery of memorable characters, kind, cruel or grotesque: Mr Micawber, Uriah Heep and Steerforth are among the many who shape his development.

By turns absorbingly comic, dramatic, ironic and tender, the novel brings into energetic life the society and preoccupations of the mid-Victorian world
added by letonia | editPenguin Popular Classics

Winterich, John T.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a student's study guide

Affectionately inscribed to the Hon. Mr and Mrs Richard Watson, of Rockingham, Northamptonshire
Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show. To begin my life with the beginning of my life, I record that I was born (as I have been informed and believe) on a Friday, at twelve o’clock at night. It was remarked that the clock began to strike, and I began to cry, simultaneously.
I shall never desert Mr. Micawber
To begin my life with the beginning of my life, I record that I was born (as I have been informed and believe) on a Friday, at twelve o'clock at night.
This is the main work for David Copperfield. It should not be combined with any adaptation, abridgement, student edition, etc. If this is your book but you have an abridged or adapted version, please update your title and ISBN, so that your book can be combined with the correct abridgement or adaptation.

blurb; Here is one of the greatest books of all time, a book whose magnificent scope and narrative power have captivated readers for over a hundred years, and will continue to do so as long as man can read.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140439447, Paperback)

Beginning in 1854 up through to his death in 1870, Charles Dickens abridged and adapted many of his more popular works and performed them as staged readings. This version, each page illustrated with lovely watercolor paintings, is a beautiful example of one of these adaptations.

Because it is quite seriously abridged, the story concentrates primarily on the extended family of Mr. Peggotty: his orphaned nephew, Ham; his adopted niece, Little Emily; and Mrs. Gummidge, self-described as "a lone lorn creetur and everythink went contrairy with her." When Little Emily runs away with Copperfield's former schoolmate, leaving Mr. Peggotty completely brokenhearted, the whole family is thrown into turmoil. But Dickens weaves some comic relief throughout the story with the introduction of Mr. and Mrs. Micawber, and David's love for his pretty, silly "child-wife," Dora. Dark nights, mysterious locations, and the final destructive storm provide classic Dickensian drama. Although this is not David Copperfield in its entirety, it is a great introduction to the world and the language of Charles Dickens.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:32 -0400)

A young boy in nineteenth-century London runs away from an unhappy home, finds employment in a wine factory, and becomes acquainted with a wide variety of characters in the city streets.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140439447, 0141031751, 0141199164, 0141343826

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,866,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible