David Copperfield

David Copperfield (original 1850; edition 1988)

13,247175166 (4.1)3 / 849
Member:AnVK
Title:David Copperfield
Authors:
Info:United States : Turner Entertainment Co., 1988.
Rating:*****
Tags:Volwassen worden, Engeland, 19de eeuw

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (1850)

English (163)  Spanish (5)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (173)
I found this an exhausting read ( )
  M_Clark | Apr 26, 2016 |
Ok, so it took me 6 months to read this as I read other books in the interim. This is a big book in size, in importance, in memorable characters and its prose. The story follows David from a very happy early childhood, to a miserable relationship with a mean step-father, to an inferior primary school, child labour and then salvation with his aunt Betsy Trotwood. His life is turned around and from here on we meet characters who have become famous such as Uriah Heep and Mr. Micawber.
Dickens is a superior writer. The chapter called The Tempest is the best written description of a devastating storm I have ever read.
Amazing story. ( )
  MaggieFlo | Apr 14, 2016 |
Before reading this book I had heard many people say that it takes a lot to "get through" this one, I think largely because of it's size. Implying, to me, that this book (or any other for that matter) is merely an accomplishment of will power, something to be "got through". Take a deep breath and, with red cheeks, fiercely defy boredom long enough to reach the last page! I assure you this was not the case for me. I think if humanity wanted a way to test the endurance of our patience we had better find a more creative way than "getting through" David Copperfield. Ray Bradbury put it perfectly in his book "Something Wicked This Way Comes" describing a scene with two boys running: "Will runs because running is it's own excuse. Jim runs because something is up ahead of him". So let us read because reading is it's own excuse, not to race to the last page.

In many ways I found this book taking me through experiences of my own life from younger years and, in the end, drawing out revelation for the present time. Believe me when I say "David Copperfield" is a rewarding, enticing and rich journey through a young man's life and trials and there is much wisdom to be gleaned from it. David Copperfield (the man) touched me and I will never forget this one, nor keep it very far away. Do not hesitate to read it. ( )
  JeffersonM. | Apr 13, 2016 |
What is the charm of David Copperfield? Why do so many of my favorite authors claim its superiority? I had to ask this about half way through the book, when I thought it would never end as we examined every detail of Dicken's "favorite child's" life. But the rest of the book is very engaging and satisfying, especially for its surprising legal detail and view into how women of that society lived and died. This is another example of why I force myself to read (actually listen, it's much easier) to at least one new classic a year.

Harold Bloom claims that Dickens hates women, but after reading this near autobiography, this is obviously untrue. Clearly there are women that Copperfield hated and women that baffled him, but there were women that he loved dearly who shine in this novel. It is these women, as seen through Copperfield's eyes, who linger in your heart when all is said and done.

If it is possible to narrow the scope of this novel, this one quote can sum up most of the conflict in it: "There can be no disparity in marriage like unsuitability of mind and purpose." How many times is that phrase repeated? (I think ten at least). You know Copperfield will eventually figure it out, but when he finally does it is very satisfying rather than anti-climactic.

I also must say that this narrator brought this book alive to me. Even that ending paragraph, which when read in comparison to the first paragraph seems to fall so short and trite. In the narration it was sublime. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
better than I expected, had put off reading it for many years
  frahealee | Apr 3, 2016 |
David Copperfield relates the story of his life - transmuting many of the early experience of his creator - right from his birth to his attainment of settled maturity and successful authorship. On his journey, David encounters a gallery of memorable characters, kind, cruel or grotesque: Mr Micawber, Uriah Heep and Steerforth are among the many who shape his development.

By turns absorbingly comic, dramatic, ironic and tender, the novel brings into energetic life the society and preoccupations of the mid-Victorian world
added by letonia | editPenguin Popular Classics

Is contained in

Contains

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a student's study guide

Affectionately inscribed to the Hon. Mr and Mrs Richard Watson, of Rockingham, Northamptonshire
Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show. To begin my life with the beginning of my life, I record that I was born (as I have been informed and believe) on a Friday, at twelve o’clock at night. It was remarked that the clock began to strike, and I began to cry, simultaneously.
I shall never desert Mr. Micawber
To begin my life with the beginning of my life, I record that I was born (as I have been informed and believe) on a Friday, at twelve o'clock at night.
This is the main work for David Copperfield. It should not be combined with any adaptation, abridgement, student edition, etc. If this is your book but you have an abridged or adapted version, please update your title and ISBN, so that your book can be combined with the correct abridgement or adaptation.

This book is in public domain in the USA and the e-book is available free online ...

blurb; Here is one of the greatest books of all time, a book whose magnificent scope and narrative power have captivated readers for over a hundred years, and will continue to do so as long as man can read.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140439447, Paperback)

Beginning in 1854 up through to his death in 1870, Charles Dickens abridged and adapted many of his more popular works and performed them as staged readings. This version, each page illustrated with lovely watercolor paintings, is a beautiful example of one of these adaptations.

Because it is quite seriously abridged, the story concentrates primarily on the extended family of Mr. Peggotty: his orphaned nephew, Ham; his adopted niece, Little Emily; and Mrs. Gummidge, self-described as "a lone lorn creetur and everythink went contrairy with her." When Little Emily runs away with Copperfield's former schoolmate, leaving Mr. Peggotty completely brokenhearted, the whole family is thrown into turmoil. But Dickens weaves some comic relief throughout the story with the introduction of Mr. and Mrs. Micawber, and David's love for his pretty, silly "child-wife," Dora. Dark nights, mysterious locations, and the final destructive storm provide classic Dickensian drama. Although this is not David Copperfield in its entirety, it is a great introduction to the world and the language of Charles Dickens.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:32 -0400)

A young boy in nineteenth-century London runs away from an unhappy home, finds employment in a wine factory, and becomes acquainted with a wide variety of characters in the city streets.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140439447, 0141031751, 0141199164, 0141343826

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,136,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible