David Copperfield (Vintage Classics) by…

David Copperfield (Vintage Classics) (original 1850; edition 2008)

by Charles Dickens, Phiz (Illustrator)

12,110144210 (4.11)3 / 774
Member:asena
Title:David Copperfield (Vintage Classics)
Authors:Charles Dickens
Other authors:Phiz (Illustrator)
Info:Random House UK (2008), Paperback, 208 pages

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (1850)

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (ncgraham)
    Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens (aces)
    Charles Dickens: a life by Claire Tomalin (hazzabamboo)
    hazzabamboo: David Copperfield is partly autobiographical, and it's fascinating to compare it to Tomalin's fascinating, shrewd biography.
    Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Bildungsroman
    A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce (kara.shamy)
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (kara.shamy)

English (137)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (143)
I'm not gonna pull a Dickens on you and turn this into a 600 page novel about the life of a boy. I will tell you that Dickens loved this book and related most to David. Full of Dickens' intricate descriptions and sarcasm. Read it. ( )
  Rosenstern | Sep 14, 2014 |
Almost read in college, but waited 40 years to actually read it. Seemed like reading an old soap opera. I wonder what i would have thought 40 years ago? ( )
  davevanl | Aug 4, 2014 |
The perfect way to start the bicentennial of Dickens' birth, with his most autobiographical novel and also his own person favorite. Unfortunately, I re-read GK ChestertonÛªs essay on the novel before writing this note and found he captured my feelings exactly and better than I could have put them. To quote him, ‰ÛÏThe reason is that Dickens began it under his sudden emotional impulse of telling the whole truth about himself and gradually allowed the whole truth to be more and more diluted, until towards the end of the book we are back in the old pedantic and decorative art of Dickens, an art which we justly admired in its own place and on its own terms, but which we resent when we feel it gradually returning through a tale pitched originally in a more practical and piercing key. Here, I say, is the one real example of the fatigue of Dickens. He begins his story in a new style and then slips back into an old one.‰Û http://www.dickens-literature.com/Appreciations_and_Criticisms_by_G.K_Chesterton...

The novel begins, famously, with David Copperfield‰Ûªs birth told in the first person. The early chapters are a spectacular child‰Ûªs eye view on the large and imposing figures around him. The middle of the book is interspersed between more purely biographical episodes (descriptions of Doctor‰Ûªs Commons, learning shorthand), some instances of Dickens‰Ûª imagination at its best (Mr. Micawber), and some unnecessary but diverting side plots (Doctor Strong and his wife). In the end, autobiography is almost entirely gone, and we have an extended windup of a number of subplots. In a few places, these are outstanding‰ÛÓlike the confrontation of Uriah Heep and the death of Steerforth. In others, it is more forced with an almost offensive desire to resolve the most colorful and problematic characters through death or emigration to Australia. To quote Chesterton again, ‰ÛÏHaving created splendid beings for whom alone life might be worth living, he cannot endure the thought of his hero living with them. Having given his hero superb and terrible friends, he is afraid of the awful and tempestuous vista of their friendship. He slips back into a more superficial kind of story and ends it in a more superficial way.‰Û

None of which is to say David Copperfield is anything short of amazing, but it is well short of perfect. ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |
This is, of course, the life story -- the very detailed life story -- of Mr. David Copperfield, from his birth onwards, including his horrifically unhappy childhood, his romantic entanglements, and the doings of his various interesting friends.

It's definitely the characters that make this one enjoyable. Copperfield himself is carefully and believably drawn, and he knows a lot of entertainingly quirky people, many of whom turn out to have some interesting hints of depth underneath their quirks. I imagine I will be unlikely ever to forget Mr. Micawber, or Uriah Heep, or David's formidable, eccentric Aunt Betsy.

I'm not sure it has a plot, exactly, so much as a loose connection of subplots, but that's fine; they're decent enough subplots. It does all get a little melodramatic at the end, although I suppose for Dickens, it's probably pretty mild on that score. I do have to say, though, that Victorian ideas about women and relationships and marriage inevitably strike my modern sensibilities as weird and kind of creepy, which always puts a little uncomfortable distance between me and the characters in such novels, and this one doesn't really qualify as an exception.

It also goes on a bit too long. Not that this is the sort of book one picks up expecting a rollicking, fast-paced thrill ride. It's more the sort to immerse yourself in when you're looking to live somebody else's life for a while, and if you're rushing through it, you're probably doing it wrong. Still, I think I would have been happier with it if it were a couple hundred pages shorter. It doesn't help that Dickens has this habit of writing characters who tend to repeat themselves over and over. I don't know whether that's his attempt at naturalistic dialog, or whether it's the result of him trying to make a word count, but it does get annoying. Although, fortunately, either that eased off substantially by the middle of the book, or I'd gotten used to it enough by then that it stopped bugging me quite so much.

In the end, it's a book I am glad to have read, but also glad to finally be finished with. ( )
  bragan | Apr 28, 2014 |
Well, I've always enjoyed Dickens anyway, with my favorite still being Great Expectations, but this story now comes in a close second :) The story of Copperfield's life, from the night he was born, to the stage in his life where he is finally settled & prosperous is an eventful one. Along the way he meets some interesting characters, like Mr. Micawber, & the 2 villains of the tale, Murdstone & Heep. He finds friends that are true, like Tradderly, & the Peggotty clan, & ones that are false, like the charismatic Steerforth. This story is nevr boring, always down to earth, & the characters approachable.

If you've never read Dickens, this is a good place to start :) ( )
  Lisa.Johnson.James | Apr 11, 2014 |

Priestley, J. B.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, EdithEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, Edithsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winterich, John T.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Affectionately inscribed to the Hon. Mr and Mrs Richard Watson, of Rockingham, Northamptonshire
Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show. To begin my life with the beginning of my life, I record that I was born (as I have been informed and believe) on a Friday, at twelve o’clock at night. It was remarked that the clock began to strike, and I began to cry, simultaneously.
I shall never desert Mr. Micawber
To begin my life with the beginning of my life, I record that I was born (as I have been informed and believe) on a Friday, at twelve o'clock at night.
This is the main work for David Copperfield. It should not be combined with any adaptation, abridgement, student edition, etc. If this is your book but you have an abridged or adapted version, please update your title and ISBN, so that your book can be combined with the correct abridgement or adaptation.

blurb; Here is one of the greatest books of all time, a book whose magnificent scope and narrative power have captivated readers for over a hundred years, and will continue to do so as long as man can read.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140439447, Paperback)

Beginning in 1854 up through to his death in 1870, Charles Dickens abridged and adapted many of his more popular works and performed them as staged readings. This version, each page illustrated with lovely watercolor paintings, is a beautiful example of one of these adaptations.

Because it is quite seriously abridged, the story concentrates primarily on the extended family of Mr. Peggotty: his orphaned nephew, Ham; his adopted niece, Little Emily; and Mrs. Gummidge, self-described as "a lone lorn creetur and everythink went contrairy with her." When Little Emily runs away with Copperfield's former schoolmate, leaving Mr. Peggotty completely brokenhearted, the whole family is thrown into turmoil. But Dickens weaves some comic relief throughout the story with the introduction of Mr. and Mrs. Micawber, and David's love for his pretty, silly "child-wife," Dora. Dark nights, mysterious locations, and the final destructive storm provide classic Dickensian drama. Although this is not David Copperfield in its entirety, it is a great introduction to the world and the language of Charles Dickens.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:54 -0400)

A young boy in nineteenth-century London runs away from an unhappy home, finds employment in a wine factory, and becomes acquainted with a wide variety of characters in the city streets.

Four editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140439447, 0141031751, 0141199164, 0141343826

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,708,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible