Cendrillon: a Caribbean Cinderella by Robert…

Cendrillon: a Caribbean Cinderella

by Robert D. San Souci

Other authors: Charles Perrault, Brian Pinkney (Illustrator)

This book is without a doubt in my mind one of the most beautifully written versions of Cinderella. It does not begin with the typical beginning of things from Cinderella's point of view, but from the fairy godmother. This is a book that I physically hugged at the end because I wish this would have been shared with me as a child growing up with Caribbean heritage. The illustrations elegantly complement the books characters and storyline. Overall, this is a book that should be placed on the shelves of many libraries for all children to enjoy. ( )
  lpittman | Apr 17, 2017 |
This particular tale of Cinderella was not only a Caribbean version, but also told from the viewpoint of the fairy godmother. Because of this, the entire story is mostly her narrating with very little dialouge. This version is named Cendrillion. There was still a stepsister, although only one. The father is still alive in this version, although he treats her very bad. I enjoyed how some of the words in this version are in French. I appreciate how those that are referred to as ugly in the book was because of the way they carry themselves and not based on their looks. Usually, I think other version of Cinderella are character drive, but i think this version is more plot driven. I enjoyed reading the story from a different perspective and I would love to introduce this to students. ( )
  CharleneMartin | Mar 16, 2017 |
Cendrillon is another Cinderella tale, who is mistreated by her stepfamily. She is very close to her god mother in this story, who is her nanny, an old friend of her mother. Cendrillon is not allowed to go to the birthday party, her godmother supplies her with clothes and coach to attend. Paul (the prince of this tale) dances only with her, when she fleas the party, she loses her pink slipper. Paul uses the slipper to find her and declares his love for her. Told by the godmother of Cendrillon.
  KButterfield | Dec 7, 2016 |
This version of Cinderella was almost as good as the original. The sister was still mean and so was the stepmom meanwhile, Cendrillon knew her fairy god nannie unlike everyone else. Her fairy god mother was her nannie, an old friend of her mom's before she had passed away. I like the Caribbean take on Cinderella, because it was really interesting. I liked the different things they were subjected to also. Cendrillon's prince charming wasn’t prince charming, he was prince Paul. Those are just some little aspects that made the story different. But just like every other Cinderella story, she was mistreated by her "family", fixed up to go to the ball, she lost a show at the end of the ball and found her happily ever after because of the lost show. ( )
  lasmith7 | Sep 22, 2016 |
This version is told from the viewpoint of the godmother. She is a poor washerwoman who has inherited a wand of mahogany. Three taps of it will change one thing into another but only for short time.

When Cendrillon is not allowed to go to the ball, a birthday party for Monsieur Thibaul’s son, she spills out her sadness to her godmother. Her godmother uses the magic one to supply her with a coach and clothing. When they attend the ball, Paul dances with no one but her. As the clock strikes midnight, she rushes away leaving behind one embroidered pink slipper. When Paul fits the slipper to Cendrillon’s foot, he declares his love for her and tells her she is just as beautiful in her ragged clothing.

The small touches of Caribbean culture throughout this book are interesting as the full paged paintings. Children who are familiar with the Cinderella story will be intrigued by this version. ( )
  Bonnie_Ferrante | Jul 10, 2016 |

Robert D. San Souciprimary authorall editionscalculated
Perrault, Charlessecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pinkney, BrianIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Mom, once again (as always) with love - RSS
To Andrea and Chloe -BP
You may think you know this story I am going to tell you. but you have not heard it for true.

You may think you know this story I am going to tell you, but you have not heard it for true. I was there. So I will tell you the truth of it. Here. Now.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:42 -0400)

A Creole variant of the familiar Cinderella tale set in the Caribbean and narrated by the godmother who helps Cendrillon find true love.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,052,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible