Buddhism Is Not What You Think: Finding…

Buddhism Is Not What You Think: Finding Freedom Beyond Beliefs

by Steve Hagen

Interesting series of thoughts that frankly were too much for me to digest at one time. I suspect I'll wind up buying my own copy of this one and returning to it from time to time. ( )
  dickmanikowski | Dec 12, 2015 |
Terrific book. A lot of practical sense and getting to grips with real Buddhism. I like Steve Hagen's books and have a couple of others—they're all worth reading. ( )
  jolyonpatten | Dec 15, 2011 |
Hagen strips back much of the 'paraphernalia' that Buddhism has amassed along the way (even Zen) and presents the central tenet of the teachings in clear, sparkling prose. Reading this delightful book is like a detox in a mental spa. Engaging, challenging, refreshing. ( )
  Parthurbook | Aug 3, 2011 |

Bestselling author and renowned Zen teacher Steve Hagen penetrates the most essential and enduring questions at the heart of the Buddha's teachings: How can we see the world in each moment, rather than merely as what we think, hope, or fear it is? How can we base our actions on reality, rather than on the longing and loathing of our hearts and minds? How can we live lives that are wise, compassionate, and in tune with reality? And how can we separate the wisdom of Buddhism from the cultural trappings and misconceptions that have come to be associated with it?

Drawing on down-to-earth examples from everyday life and stories from Buddhist teachers past and present, Hagen tackles these fundamental inquiries with his trademark lucid, straightforward prose. The newcomer to Buddhism will be inspired by this accessible and provocative introduction, and those more familiar with Buddhism will welcome this much needed hands-on guide to understanding what it truly means to be awake. By being challenged to question what we take for granted, we come to see the world as it truly is. Buddhism Is Not What You Think offers a profound and clear path to a life of joy and freedom.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:37 -0400)

"Steve Hagen penetrates the most essential and enduring questions at the heart of the Buddha's teachings: How can we see the world as it comes to be in each moment, rather than merely as what we think, hope, or fear it is? How can we base our actions on Reality, rather than on the longing and loathing of our hearts and minds? How can we live lives that are wise, compassionate, and in tune with Reality? And how can we separate the wisdom of Buddhism from the cultural trappings and misconceptions that have come to be associated with it?" "Drawing on down-to-earth examples from everyday life and stories from Buddhist teachers past and present, Hagen tackles these fundamental inquiries with his trademark lucid, straightforward prose. The newcomer to Buddhism will be inspired by this accessible and provocative introduction, while those more familiar with Buddhism will welcome this hands-on guide to understanding what it is to be awake."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,841,836 books! | Top bar: Always visible