The Defense by D. W. Buffa

The Defense (1997)

by D. W. Buffa

Excellent. Great story told in an interesting manner. I'm definitely looking forward to reading the next in the series. Buffa is as charming as a writer as the characters he brings to life and he gives a lot of good detail without going overboard for the most part. My chief complaint was that I felt he really aged the lead character too much(and not in line with the other characters) and that resulted in a bit of disappointment with a crucial part of the ending. And I get that Antonelli must be a tall and lanky guy, but I just couldn't picture him as tossed about in his chairs as he always appeared to be. Maybe it was a deliberate flaw that Buffa tried to build into the character, but it only managed to make me mutter, more than once, 'Sit up straight!' ( )
  debavp | May 1, 2010 |
3685. The Defense, by D. W. Buffa (read 23 Jan 2003) This is the author's first book, published in 1997. There were some unlikeable things about the central character, a defense lawyer, and about the story, but there were some good lawyers and judges (instead of most being bad, a la Grisham), the legal things were not oversimplified, and all in all I found this a compelling and intriguing story, extremely easy to read. ( )
  Schmerguls | Nov 16, 2007 |
There is none. ( )
  jburlinson | Oct 28, 2007 |
FOR KATHRYN
I never lost a case I should have won, and I won nearly all the cases I should have lost.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 044900399X, Mass Market Paperback)

There are occasional echoes of Scott Turow and John Grisham in this debut thriller by Oregon lawyer D. W. Buffa, but for the most part his voice is as refreshingly original as the sinuous plot line. "I never lost a case I should have won, and I won nearly all the cases I should have lost," says the arrogant but undoubtedly gifted criminal defense lawyer Joseph Antonelli. When his friend and mentor, Judge Leopold Rifkin, asks him to defend Johnny Morel, a man accused of raping his 12-year-old stepdaughter, Antonelli agrees. Morel is obviously guilty, but aided by the girl's lying, amoral mother, Antonelli plants enough seeds of doubt to get the sleazeball off. Years later, after the girl has disappeared, the mother is shot to death--in Judge Rifkin's living room. Under Buffa's sly direction, these twists and turns add up to a wonderfully rich story.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:57 -0400)

In Portland, lawyer Joseph Antonelli defends a judge accused of murdering a woman. The judge was his mentor and Antonelli, a legal ace, is sure he will obtain an innocent verdict. A look at the way the legal system can be manipulated to get guilty people off.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,142,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible