The Forlorn Hope by David Drake

The Forlorn Hope (1984)

by David Drake

195160,388 (3.56)1

To be honest, I can't really explain why I love this book so much. I don't know, like the rest of David Drake's military sci-fi books it's a solid piece of fiction. There's mercenaries, there's fighting and killing, there's a group of mercenaries being burned as some nationals make a behind the scenes deal that involves them betraying the mercenaries "for the greater good" of their people. There's also a suicide trek across a beleaguered planet so they can somehow escape to safety.

There's also some incredibly interesting characters that I simply couldn't help liking. After reading this book, I was left wishing that this could be the start of another mercenary book series. I mean, sure, he's already got Hammer's Slammers, but I firmly believe the world always needs one more military sci-fi mercenary series. Why? Because that would be cool. Super cool, even. ( )
1 vote HarperKingsley | Nov 13, 2013 |

David Drakeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gutierrez,AlanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765356465, Mass Market Paperback)

They had fought long and hard, and damn near won in spite of everything. But now the men who hired them are going to sell them to the enemy...and so begins a novel of adventure in which a band of Star Mecenaries is driven across the face of a planet by enemies bent on their distruction. With only the guns in their hands, this tiny band must battle ships, artillery, treachery, and the most powerful tank in the universe.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:28 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,085,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible