lizards, frogs, and polliwogs by Douglas…

lizards, frogs, and polliwogs

by Douglas Florian

1471081,427 (4)None
Recently added byDitzelJ, astinchavez, dtolton93, ajmazur, private library, seppo21, iceangel456, susanoldchief

This book gives many examples of animals and gives a quick poem abut them. It lists cool animals that young children aren't too familiar with. One example of an animal that was featured in the book was a chameleon.
  astinchavez | Sep 26, 2014 |
Loved this book! It would be so much fun to read to a group of kids. It's fun and entertaining learning about different characteristics of different animals, even a few animals I had never heard of before. Some of the text is untraditional and it definitely gave the book character. ( )
  dtolton93 | Sep 23, 2014 |
book of poems about different reptiles
  iceangel456 | Jun 12, 2014 |
This is a collection of funny poems, each having to do with different reptiles, such as the tortoise, gecko, crocodile, iguna and cobra.
ages 4-5
pierce college ( )
  susanoldchief | Jun 12, 2014 |
This book takes an offbeat subject like lizards and makes the subject fun and entertaining, while it also informs. Very much like Jim Cherry's book, Loco for Lizards, a laugh-out-loud funny book that packs an amazing wealth of information in at the same time. Highly recommended!
  aevans1 | Nov 27, 2012 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152052488, Paperback)

We are mad for poet-painter Douglas Florian. We were buzzed by Insectlopedia, moony for Mammalabilia, and batty for his other beautifully biological, biologically beautiful books as well. We love Florian for his clever, downright shameless wordplay. One of our favorite poems in Lizards, Frogs, and Polliwogs is "The Wood Frog":

I am a frozen frogsicle.
I froze beneath a logsicle.
My mind is in a fogsicle
Inside this icy bogsicle.
My temperature is ten degrees.
I froze my nose, my toes, my knees.
But I don't care, I feel at ease,
For I am full of antifreeze.
Another favorite is "The Polliwogs:"

We polliwoggle.
We jog.
We're yearning
To turn ourselves
Into a frog.
We love Florian equally for his playful paintings that manage to be visual puns as well as suitable-for-framing pieces of art. A subtle and delightful use of color combine with brilliant composition and some collage work to create a marvelous menagerie--this time accompanying 21 reptile and amphibian poems. Neither cobra nor chameleon escape pun-ishment from this talented wordsmith. We will patiently await the next beastly poetic parade from Florian! (Ages 5 to 10) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:34 -0400)

A collection of humorous poems about such reptiles and amphibians as the glass frog, the gecko, and the rattlesnake.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,465,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible