lizards, frogs, and polliwogs by Douglas…

lizards, frogs, and polliwogs (edition 2005)

by Douglas Florian

Info:Sandpiper (2005), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 48 pages
Collections:Informational, Poetry, Read but unowned
Tags:Animals

lizards, frogs, and polliwogs by Douglas Florian

This book takes an offbeat subject like lizards and makes the subject fun and entertaining, while it also informs. Very much like Jim Cherry's book, Loco for Lizards, a laugh-out-loud funny book that packs an amazing wealth of information in at the same time. Highly recommended!
  aevans1 | Nov 27, 2012 |
This is a collection of funny poems, each having to do with different reptiles, such as the tortoise, gecko, crocodile, iguna and cobra. This is another book that could be utilized for k-3 students.
* To be used in k-3 classroom, read aloud, vocabulary. ( )
  dennislankau | Oct 15, 2011 |
Share these poems (maybe one or more a day) during a unit of reptiles and amphibians. They would present a good change of pace for kids who may get bogged down with research or learning a lot of factual information.

If students are researching a certain animal, have them create a poem, like Florian's, to demonstrate something they have learned about the animals.

These poems just beg to be read out loud. Students could choose a poem to practice and then read for the class. This would be good practice in public speaking and fluency. Plus, the kids could figure out different voice styles they could use for the different animals (croaking for the frog, slow for the tortoise, slithery for the snakes, etc.)

Recommend this book to a student who is interested in reptiles and amphibians but may not want a text-heavy informational book. Recommend to a student who likes poetry but has mostly been exposed to the more silly poetry of Silverstein and Prelutsky. ( )
  stuwilab | Jul 15, 2010 |
http://www.rif.org/art/illustrators/florian.mspx Tells about the illustrator of these poems. This book is an awesome way to introduce a unit on reptiles. All the poetry in this book talks about amphibians in very descriptive ways and is excellent to get children tuned into reading or writing poetry. ( )
  kperk12 | Apr 15, 2010 |
This is a collection of 21 poems all about reptiles and amphibians, such as the bullfrog, newt, gecko, cobra, and iguana. It is a great mix of humor and nonfiction accompanied by creative and unique paintings.What can I say? I liked Insectlopedia so much that when I saw this one on the shelf I had to pick it up too. I like Insectlopedia better, but I can’t put my finger on why. Again, Florian uses a variety of types of poems and invented words. My favorite word was ‘toadally’ because I’ve used that one before in a display. I liked best the two concrete poems, one about a cobra and one about a gecko. I also enjoyed the way the letters were written in ‘The Polliwogs’ – they match the movement of the animals described. I love that creativity! These two books are must-haves for any elementary science teachers. They would be a great way to integrate the language arts into science, or science into language arts! ( )
  dahabdabbler | Mar 6, 2010 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152052488, Paperback)

We are mad for poet-painter Douglas Florian. We were buzzed by Insectlopedia, moony for Mammalabilia, and batty for his other beautifully biological, biologically beautiful books as well. We love Florian for his clever, downright shameless wordplay. One of our favorite poems in Lizards, Frogs, and Polliwogs is "The Wood Frog":

I am a frozen frogsicle.
I froze beneath a logsicle.
My mind is in a fogsicle
Inside this icy bogsicle.
My temperature is ten degrees.
I froze my nose, my toes, my knees.
But I don't care, I feel at ease,
For I am full of antifreeze.
Another favorite is "The Polliwogs:"

We polliwoggle.
We jog.
We're yearning
To turn ourselves
Into a frog.
We love Florian equally for his playful paintings that manage to be visual puns as well as suitable-for-framing pieces of art. A subtle and delightful use of color combine with brilliant composition and some collage work to create a marvelous menagerie--this time accompanying 21 reptile and amphibian poems. Neither cobra nor chameleon escape pun-ishment from this talented wordsmith. We will patiently await the next beastly poetic parade from Florian! (Ages 5 to 10) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:34 -0400)

A collection of humorous poems about such reptiles and amphibians as the glass frog, the gecko, and the rattlesnake.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,457,899 books! | Top bar: Always visible