lizards, frogs, and polliwogs by Douglas…

lizards, frogs, and polliwogs (edition 2005)

by Douglas Florian

Member:aevans1
Title:lizards, frogs, and polliwogs
Authors:Douglas Florian
Info:Sandpiper (2005), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 48 pages
Collections:Informational, Poetry, Read but unowned
Tags:Animals

lizards, frogs, and polliwogs by Douglas Florian

What’s so great about Douglas Florian is that he excels at both writing and illustrations, and that he makes poetry so much fun. Here he takes a topic bound to appeal to many kids, which concerns those living things that go slithering, hopping, and moseying along in the grass or the sand, and that so fascinate people, especially little ones.

His poetry is quite entertaining. Here is what he says about the cobra, for example:

"It’s wise to stay clear
Of the dangerous cobra.
All months of the year,
Including Octobra.”

As someone who used to follow Gila Monsters around whenever I was lucky enough to see one in Tucson, I appreciated this one because it’s so true:

"They call me monster just because
I have short legs and clumsy claws,
And poison in my jaws,
And look
Like someone’s composition book.”

Kids will even learn some things about amphibians and reptiles painlessly and fun:

"We polliwoggle.
We jog.
We’re hearing
To turn ourselves
Into a frog.”

The illustrations, whimsical and clever, are done in watercolor on primed brown paper bags with collage. My favorite is the one of the box turtle.

Evaluation: I don't think anyone can go wrong by choosing a poetry book written and illustrated by Douglas Florian. ( )
  nbmars | Apr 18, 2015 |
An informational poetry book about different animals.

Ages 3-6
Source: Pierce County Library System
  fuzzytoaster77 | Dec 7, 2014 |
This book gives many examples of animals and gives a quick poem abut them. It lists cool animals that young children aren't too familiar with. One example of an animal that was featured in the book was a chameleon.
  astinchavez | Sep 26, 2014 |
Loved this book! It would be so much fun to read to a group of kids. It's fun and entertaining learning about different characteristics of different animals, even a few animals I had never heard of before. Some of the text is untraditional and it definitely gave the book character. ( )
  dtolton93 | Sep 23, 2014 |
book of poems about different reptiles
  iceangel456 | Jun 12, 2014 |

Goofy, funny book about common and exotic animals. Rhymes with words and made-up words

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152052488, Paperback)

We are mad for poet-painter Douglas Florian. We were buzzed by Insectlopedia, moony for Mammalabilia, and batty for his other beautifully biological, biologically beautiful books as well. We love Florian for his clever, downright shameless wordplay. One of our favorite poems in Lizards, Frogs, and Polliwogs is "The Wood Frog":

I am a frozen frogsicle.
I froze beneath a logsicle.
My mind is in a fogsicle
Inside this icy bogsicle.
My temperature is ten degrees.
I froze my nose, my toes, my knees.
But I don't care, I feel at ease,
For I am full of antifreeze.
Another favorite is "The Polliwogs:"

We polliwoggle.
We jog.
We're yearning
To turn ourselves
Into a frog.
We love Florian equally for his playful paintings that manage to be visual puns as well as suitable-for-framing pieces of art. A subtle and delightful use of color combine with brilliant composition and some collage work to create a marvelous menagerie--this time accompanying 21 reptile and amphibian poems. Neither cobra nor chameleon escape pun-ishment from this talented wordsmith. We will patiently await the next beastly poetic parade from Florian! (Ages 5 to 10) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:34 -0400)

A collection of humorous poems about such reptiles and amphibians as the glass frog, the gecko, and the rattlesnake.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,286,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible