Monstrosity by Edward Lee

Monstrosity

by Edward Lee

I have no idea what Frederick found. But other then that it was a pretty good book. The last 3 or 4 chapters were fast paced and exciting but weird at the same time. ( )
  Sam-Teegarden | Jun 2, 2018 |
Oh I love my splatterpunk. Even though there are many accounts of gore and rape the absolute worst part of the book was being naked and covered in bugs that are attracted to "moist" places. Ugh. I actually had a nightmare about that part!
Overall this is one of the best horror books I've read. Gorey, sex, violence, experiments, weird frog human babies. What's not to love? ( )
  Jychelle88 | Oct 16, 2017 |
This book's a great, big, poorly written ball of rape by someone who takes, perhaps, just a little too much pleasure from the subject. Not the worst book I've read this year, sadly, but close.

Oh, and the classism really slimed up this book, like no swamp monster ever could. Reading this book compares to having the devil rub his unwashed bum over every inch of your body and then set you on fire. ( )
1 vote ncsbooks | Oct 21, 2010 |
Since this is only the second Edward Lee book I've read, I can't really say I see a pattern to his novels, but the two I've read had a lot of violence directed at women. And not just as part of the conflict in the novel, but almost gratuitously, with most of the women in this book being victimized even before the story started. What makes me cringe is that the women that he writes seem to accept it as part of their life, as though they deserve it. Poor white trash trailer tramps gettin' wailed on by their meth-addled boyfriends. It bugs me.

This story takes place down in Florida, at a government-sponsored medical clinic supposedly working on a cure for a type of cancer. There were mutant critters, mutant monsters, quicksand and some strange flashbacks to an archaeological dig that eventually got tied into the storyline at the end. Also a lot of sex and violence and sexual domination of women.

It was okay, but parts of the novel were trite, and the ending too pat and unbelievable. Lee also left out information in the plot that would have sent red flags up right away if he hadn't been so coy with his readers. ( )
  Mumugrrl | Aug 26, 2010 |
A miss for Edward Lee, and a very awful tale that had a lot of promise, but very little delivery. A former Air Force officer and now homeless resident of Florida, Clare receives a visit from a man that offers her a job with no strings attached. Following him there, she finds that she will provide security for a group of scientists that is working on a cure for cancer. However, a strange monster has been reported in the area, and its origins may be prehistoric in origin.

I really failed to understand a lot of how the flashbacks to the dig site and the present at the base came together, even though some of it made sense. It was very hard to follow and seemed to almost fulfill a red herring role. The only other Lee book I've read is Messenger and that was okay, but this one was just horrendous. ( )
  NKSCF | May 18, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0843950757, Mass Market Paperback)

Blue skies, palm trees, and flawless white sand beaches. Clare Prentiss thinks her new home is paradise, and her brand-new job as security chief at the clinic almost seems too good to be true.

It is.

Lurid dreams, erotic obsessions, and twisted sexual fantasies aren’t the only things that abruptly invade Clare’s life. Is someone really peeping into her windows at night?

Are those screams she hears just her imagination?

Is Clare being stalked?

Yes. But not by a man. By a monstrosity.

Will the last scream Clare hears be her own?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:27 -0400)

Clare Prentiss thinks her new home and her new job as security chief at the clinic seems too good to be true. But the truth is worse than she could ever imagine as Clare is soon stalked by monstrous creations of genetic mutation. Original.

Cemetery Dance

An edition of this book was published by Cemetery Dance.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,317,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible