Five Little Ducks by Pamela Paparone

Five Little Ducks (1995)

by Pam Paparone

1. Summary- This book is about a mother duck who's ducklings go missing one by one each day that they go out to play. The mother waits and waits but they never come home. So the mother decides to go looking for them and she finds them all and brings them home with her.
2. Personal Reaction- This book showed me that your parents will always come to your rescue. When they think you can handle yourself, they will wait until they know you need their help. Also, if you and your friends ever get lost, to stay where you are and not to wander and get even more lost.
3. Classroom Extension Ideas- In the classroom, I could use this book to teach kids to stick together. Also, to teach them that they need to trust their parents and their timing.
  John.Gonzalez | Jul 13, 2017 |
Five little ducks go over a hill and out of their mothers sight. After the mother duck calls for them only four return. Everyday after that they go over the hill and always return with one less duckling. Finally, the last duckling does not return at the mother's call and the mother gets sad. The next day she goes over the hill to find all five of her ducks safe and sound. The last picture showed all the ducks tucked in bed and asleep.

This book had a nice rhythm and very colorful pictures. It shows beautiful sunsets and bright yellow ducks. It also allows the reader to predict what will happen next because it flows easily.In the classroom, I would use this book as examples of foreshadowing
  JasRochelle | Feb 11, 2015 |
Summary of book: Five Little Ducks is about a mother duck and her five children. The five little ducks went out to play over the hills and far away, mother duck said quack, quack, quack, quack, but only four little ducks came back home. Eventually over four more days, none of the little ducks come back, so mother duck goes over the hills and far away mother duck says quack, quack, quack and all of her little ducks come back.

Personal Reflection: When I read this story I cannot just read the words, because I just start singing them. When I was about twelve my youngest sister was around three, and she had me read this book to her over and over again. She would go around singing the “ducky song” to all of us in the house.

Extension of Book: My first idea is to make our own story about what the ducks are doing over the hills and far away that is so much fun that they didn't want to come home. My second idea is to have the children paint a picture of what our mother would look like if she was a duck. ( )
  AmberTrujillo | Feb 11, 2014 |
Summary: A mother duck lives in a small house with her five little ducks. Every day, the little ducks go away from home, and every day, one less comes back. When none come back, mother duck goes out to find her babies and brings them all home.

Personal Reaction: Before reading this, I'd never heard the story of the Five Little Ducks. But I've learned that a lot of children today know it rather well, as well as many people my own age and older. I liked that it's a story that spans several generations, and it's a great story for younger kids.

Classroom Extensions:
1. It could be used as an intro to subtraction. As each duck gets lost, explain that we subtracted one duck.

2. Have students write a creative story on why the ducks didn't come back, and why they came back in the end.
  ElissaBroadaway | Feb 10, 2014 |
Summary:
Five Little Ducks is a cute traditional book. Five little ducks went out one day over the hills and far away. When mother duck went quack, quack, quack, quack, only four little ducks came back home. The next day the same thing happened, but only three came back home. Each day one would disappear. Finally, no little ducks came back. Sad mother went over the hill and far away and said quack, quack, quack, quack. All five of her little ducks came back. Lesson learned with this book is to never give up. If the mother duck would have given up, she might not have ever seen her ducks again.

Personal Experience:
This book was fun reading. I could just imagine seeing the children's faces in wonder of where the ducks are and if they will ever come back home. It would be a great book to read if you needed to keep a little children's attention.

Classroom Extension:
1. I would read this book when we were going over the D letter for that week.
2. I would have them color a duck, and teach them how important it is to never give up.
  olivialawson | Feb 7, 2014 |
To J. O. with love
Five little ducks went out one day,
Over the hills and far away.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0735818576, Board book)

Five little ducks went out one day,
Over the hills and far away.
Mother duck said,
"Quack, quack, quack, quack."
But only four little ducks came back

Perfect for toddlers, this cozy and charming counting book, with its rollicking verse and bright, humorous illustrations, is now available in a sturdy board book edition.

One by one, the five little ducks disappear, while Mother Duck is busy with her chores. In addition to the dwindling duck family, there are lost of other creatures for children to identify and count in the bucolic early-autumn landscape. And there is cause for celebration when finally all five errant little ducks come back.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:16 -0400)

When her five little ducks disappear one by one, Mother duck sets out to find them.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,117,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible