Practice Makes Perfect by Julie James

Practice Makes Perfect (edition 2009)

by Julie James

Member:FictionDB
Title:Practice Makes Perfect
Authors:Julie James
Info:Berkley (2009), Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****

Practice Makes Perfect by Julie James

It Happened One Autumn by Lisa Kleypas (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Different subgenres of romance - Practice Makes Perfect is a contemporary romantic comedy about two lawyers vying for the same promotion, while It Happened One Autumn is a historical romance set at a house party, but both stories have a bickering, bantering couple whose fencing with words masks a deep-seated attraction. I found both stories hilarious and emotionally satisfying.… (more)

This book isn't going to change anyone's life but it was a quick, fun read - and I really enjoyed it. It was funny, witty and had both a female and a male character that were fully flushed out which is rare to find in these types of books. This is the first Julie James novel I've read and I'd feel confident in seeking out another. ( )
  xelaflores | Jul 8, 2017 |
Solid writing, setting and jargon feel really credible, characters and their backstories well-sketched out such that they feel complex enough to be real. The romance plot actually felt like a secondary point. It was really about the dynamic between the two MCs changing because of how they each evolved individually when they took a chance and allowed themselves to think: What if I was wrong about this person?

Actually this as a modern Pride and Prejudice (with a touch of Beatrice and Benedick) sort of works. Good job.

I was talking about it with a friend and we agreed that it would make a good movie. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
I will start this review by pasting the conversation I had with my friend Myriam right as I was about to finish this book:

Me:
OK THIS BOOK IS TOO SWEET AND I WUVED IT

Myriam:
Recommend!!!

Me:
SI SI SI! even if the sex scenes were like fade to black a bit, I don’t care I WUVED IT

That pretty much sums up my feelings concerning this book. I'm still sort of floating on a fluffy cloud of happiness because MAN, this was just SO MUCH FUN and SO GOOD. I almost want to buy some copies and give them away to people that have been feeling blue or out of sorts. Trust me. This book will put a smile on your face.

My only two three gripes:

*Payton's name. I kept getting confused thinking she was the hero.
*Semi fade to black when it came to the sexy time. I NEEDED MORE, MS. JAMES.
*J.D.'s initials. What the hell do they stand for?!

Shoving that aside, Payton and J.D.'s chemistry is through-the-roof amazing! Their banter, their sexual tension, the hijinks they pull make this book so much fun. I loved that Payton was so sure of herself, I loved that J.D. was so lovable even after all those stunts he pulled. I also really liked that you see their relationship blossom in an incredibly credible way. No wondering where the hell did that attraction come from. YAY for that.

Overall, Practice Makes Perfect is like eating a strawberry popsicle in a hot summer day; feels good and refreshing! ( )
  lapiccolina | Jun 23, 2017 |
Practice makes perfect by Julie James
8 yrs Chicago lawyers and now only one will be promoted. They are paired to work together and the boss will decide.
Payton wants the new position and is willing to work with JD.
JD born to succeed and has everything. Problem is they start to become familiar and physical with one another....
  jbarr5 | Dec 16, 2015 |
75% through and I gave up. I just couldn't finish it. Boring and predictable. Also unlikable characters. ( )
  cmlloyd67 | Jun 7, 2015 |

Julie Jamesprimary authorall editionscalculated
White, KarenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425226743, Mass Market Paperback)

When it comes to the laws of attraction, there are no rules The battle between the sexes is about to make these two lawyers hot under the collar. Opposites collide when two lawyers try to make partner at the same firm. Payton Kendall is a feminist to the bone. Cocky J.D. Jameson was born privileged. But when they're asked to join forces on a major case, they gain a newfound awareness of each other's personal assets. The partnership spot will be offered to only one of them, though. The competition heats up. Sparks fly. Let the games begin.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:33 -0400)

"Payton Kendall and J.D. Jameson are lawyers who know the meaning of objection. A feminist to the bone, Payton has fought hard to succeed in a profession dominated by men. Born wealthy, privileged, and cocky, J.D. has fought hard to ignore her. Face-to-face, they are perfectly civil. They have to be. For eight years they have kept a safe distance and tolerated each other as coworkers for one reason only: to make partner at the firm. But all bets are off when they're asked to join forces on a major case..."--p.[4] of cover.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,065,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible