Practice Makes Perfect by Julie James

Practice Makes Perfect (edition 2009)

by Julie James

Member:FictionDB
Title:Practice Makes Perfect
Authors:Julie James
Info:Berkley (2009), Paperback, 304 pages

Practice Makes Perfect by Julie James

Recently added byweez910, englisherna, Inessova, lalachan, private library, SarcasmQueen, tcavanau
    It Happened One Autumn by Lisa Kleypas (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Different subgenres of romance - Practice Makes Perfect is a contemporary romantic comedy about two lawyers vying for the same promotion, while It Happened One Autumn is a historical romance set at a house party, but both stories have a bickering, bantering couple whose fencing with words masks a deep-seated attraction. I found both stories hilarious and emotionally satisfying.… (more)

It's a funny and sarcastic office romance that's like a subdued, like waaaay subdued version of Beautiful Series by Christina Lauren and/or Tangled series by Emma Chase. This reminds me why I read NA in my age. ( )
  englisherna | Apr 8, 2015 |
Entertaining romantic comedy where the relationship moves from hate to love. I was attentively waiting to see what they would do next and the shoe incident was so funny. I liked how the story ended. Attorneys Payton and J.D. were always bickering and their boss asked them to work a case together. ( )
  Dawn772 | Jan 29, 2015 |
I've only recently gotten into contemporary romance novels, and I'm still not 100% sure I like the genre. I will admit I have liked Julie James' books far more than others, but I also may be biased because they are generally set in Chicago, and I have a thing for books set in Chicago.

Anyway, after reading Practice Makes Perfect, I found myself wondering what exactly it is about contemporaries as a whole that bothers me. It isn't an outright annoyance, but more an annoying feeling at the back of my consciousness as I read. Romance novels all follow the same plot line, more or less, and have pretty stock characters, so why does setting matter so much? Then it occurred to me- in a historical romance, I expect an "old school" alpha male, because in all honesty, men were kind of dense and clueless and they looked down on women- it is just a fact of the time period. I'm not saying this is great behavior, or that I would appreciate it in real life, but it is easier for me to believe, and not think the hero is such an asshole.

However, when you take those stock characters- the dense, clueless men who look down on women- and put them in modern times, they generally come off as misogynistic and insulting. Which is frustrating, because I like a strong alpha male type as much as the next girl, but at the same time, I'd like them to be smart and respect women as well. I don't think the two things are mutually exclusive.

James does a good job of creating heros who don't come off as total asses. For the most part, I liked J.D., though I'll admit he did a few things that made me want to not like him (calling Payton a "feminazi, for example), he did change for the better as the book went on, and the transformation was more or less believable, and didn't seem too out of character. However, the one thing that really drove me up a wall, and which seemed like an unnecessary plot point was the backstory of J.D. telling their boss that he and Payton had slept together. That made me really really want to hate him, and I felt like she forgave him way too easily. That made me a bit angry. I feel like the plot could have done without that, because there was enough tension as it was.

One of my biggest issues with the book was the nature of the conflict set up between the two characters. Not only did it seem ridiculously implausible (though, I will admit to not knowing anything about law firms) but I couldn't anticipate an ending which would have made me happy. Obviously, there was a happy ending (it is a romance novel) and maybe it was clear to other readers, but I didn't especially like the tension leading up to it. A lot of that is because the conflict became a general men vs women conflict, and not a J.D. vs Payton conflict.

All in all, I did enjoy Practice Makes Perfect, and breezed through it. It was a fun read, and like her other books, I liked the interactions between the main characters.

If you haven't read anything of James', I would suggest starting with the FBI series first. But if you have read her books before, you will likely enjoy this one. ( )
  kateminasian | Nov 22, 2014 |
Fun! Predictable, but mostly in a good way. Payton and J.D. are a bit too perfect, of course. The P&P element seemed a bit labored.
  rmaitzen | Feb 7, 2014 |
I've read all of Julie James' books and while this one was much more of a romcom than her others, it was still crazy good. There were parts that literally had me laughing out loud in public, and the ending is tender and sweet. James can do no wrong, in my opinion. She is a rock star. ( )
  CyndiTefft | Feb 6, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425226743, Mass Market Paperback)

When it comes to the laws of attraction, there are no rules The battle between the sexes is about to make these two lawyers hot under the collar. Opposites collide when two lawyers try to make partner at the same firm. Payton Kendall is a feminist to the bone. Cocky J.D. Jameson was born privileged. But when they're asked to join forces on a major case, they gain a newfound awareness of each other's personal assets. The partnership spot will be offered to only one of them, though. The competition heats up. Sparks fly. Let the games begin.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:33 -0400)

"Payton Kendall and J.D. Jameson are lawyers who know the meaning of objection. A feminist to the bone, Payton has fought hard to succeed in a profession dominated by men. Born wealthy, privileged, and cocky, J.D. has fought hard to ignore her. Face-to-face, they are perfectly civil. They have to be. For eight years they have kept a safe distance and tolerated each other as coworkers for one reason only: to make partner at the firm. But all bets are off when they're asked to join forces on a major case..."--p.[4] of cover.… (more)

75 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,565,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible