A Dome of Many-Coloured Glass by Amy Lowell

A Dome of Many-Coloured Glass

by Amy Lowell

182561,019 (2)None

Hmmm. I read this after H.D.'s Sea Garden because I wanted to read more Imagist writers. It was a bit of a let down, though not entirely. I love the title of this book, and the "Crowned" poem is nice, too. But mostly...no. I felt the sentiments were nice, but her writing just missed expression and originality. But maybe that's just me. Or maybe it's just the unfair competition with H.D., who I think is amazing. ( )
  Merinde | Mar 31, 2013 |

In this volume we look at the works of the American poet Amy Lowell. She was born into the prominent Lowell family in Brookline Massachusetts in 1874. Although her brother was to become President of Harvard she never entered college, her family considering it not proper for a woman. However she loved books and was an avid reader and collector. A socialite she travelled widely and first began to publish in 1910. Thought to be a lesbian the erotic themes within several of her poems are a wonderful loving tribute to that side of her. She published other poets and was working on a biography of the poet John Keats which brought forth the wonderful line 'The stigma of oddness is the price a myopic world always exacts of genius. Here we publish another of her poetry volumes full of the imagery for which she is so widely admired - 'A Dome Of Many Colored Glass'.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,155,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible