Bonjour Tristesse AND A Certain Smile by…

Bonjour Tristesse AND A Certain Smile

by Françoise Sagan

Recently added byprivate library, kaggsy, modlibrary, ian_curtin, Lee_P, roblong, vviolet, gorjoh, Lisa17

Cheated a bit with this book: Bonjour Tristesse (the French edition) was to be read for French literature class. I read the Dutch version. (Don't tell anyone!!)
Together with that book, there was also another book in this omnibus, that I read as bonus / out of a feeling of guilt for cheating. Liked both books then, although I 'm not sure how I would feel about them when reading them now for the first time or even rereading. So I guess I just won't. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Jun 20, 2013 |
Sigh. Oh, Bonjour Tristesse - why do you have to only be one hundred and nine pages? It's so unfair.

I took as long as I possibly could to read this novel. For a few days, Bonjour Tristesse became my world. And what a world...

Bonjour Tristesse is the perfect literary holiday. It's that rare bird; a novel you can escape into, that will also keep you thinking. Okay, so the novel's not without tragedy - it's called Bonjour Tristesse, after all - but really, who can resist a twisted love story?

(Or is that just me?)

Anyway - my full review is right here on my blog, Book to the Future. Enjoy. ( )
  BooktotheFuture | Mar 30, 2013 |
Adieu tristesse
Bonjour tristesse
Tu es inscrite dans les lignes du plafond
Tu es inscrite dans les yeux que j'aime
Tu n'es pas tout à fait la misère
Car les lèvres les plus pauvres te dénoncent
Par un sourire
Bonjour tristesse
Amour des corps aimables
Puissance de l'amour
Dont l'amabilité surgit
Comme un monstre sans corps
Téte désappointée
Tristesse beau visage
- Paul Eluard, La vie immédiate -
Ik aarzel om het onbekende gevoel, waarvan de tederheid en de verveling mij vervolgen, de naam, de mooie, diepe naam van 'droefheid' te geven.

ROMANCE. Published when she was only nineteen, Francoise Sagan's astonishing first novel "Bonjour Tristesse" became an instant bestseller. It tells the story of Cecile, who leads a carefree life with her widowed father and his young mistresses until, one hot summer on the Riviera, he decides to remarry - with devastating consequences. In "A Certain Smile" Dominique, a young woman bored with her lover, begins an encounter with an older man that unfolds in unexpected and troubling ways. These two acerbically witty and delightfully amoral tales about the nature of love are shimmering masterpieces of cool-headed, brilliant observation.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,732,857 books! | Top bar: Always visible