Skeleton Creek by Patrick Carman

Skeleton Creek

by Patrick Carman

An interactive, multimedia read that resembles the Blair Witch Project in delivery and effect. An exciting, unique read for mystery-loving teens who like a good ghost story. Ends in a cliffhanger, so I'll be picking up the sequel right away. The annoying aspects are due only to the fact that I'm not the targeted audience. I would've gone crazy over this book in 8th grade. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
(4.8)
  mrsforrest | Oct 15, 2014 |
Skeleton Creek- Book One

Hearing an old tale about an accident where someone died before his time, makes you wonder if people really do try to come back from the dead. This book is really a journal about this boy, Ryan who has a friend named Sarah. Ryan records everything in his journal that he and Sarah do. They go this place called the dredge. It used to be an old mine, back in the day. There is an old tale about a guy named Old Joe Bush who used to work in the mine, and one day he got dragged under by some gears and died. People say that he is still alive or that his spirit haunts the dredge. Workers have told people that they hear him in the place. Sarah and Ryan had figured out that the workers there a long time ago used like a special Morse code of tapping and banging to communicate in the dredge. Everyone says that they still hear it, and that is Old Joe trying to tell someone something. One day while visiting the dredge, Ryan broke his leg. Sarah was filming and later showed him some interesting things that were on the tape. Later on in the book, Ryan's parents forbid him to hang out with Sarah, so they communicated by computers.

I thought this book was interesting and kept making me wanting to read it because Ryan was constantly trying to figure out if Old Joe Bush was really still alive or just haunting the dredge. I like the way the book was written, like a journal. It lets you know what happens to Ryan daily, and it was easy to read. It was good how the book showed pictures, clues, notes and emails of things. It made it seem real. You can also go on a web site to see some of the videos that Sarah made. That was good too. My favorite part of the story was when Ryan and Sarah broke into the library to research some stuff, and the librarian was sitting at her desk with a shotgun. That was pretty funny. ( )
  br14daoc | Nov 22, 2013 |
This was just too much creepy fun, and what an ending... I am glad I stumbled upon this series. I will definitely be recommending it to young readers, especially reluctant ones. ( )
  daatwood | Nov 21, 2013 |
The concept behind this book drew me in rather than the actual story (not that the story isn't good, too). The book is written as a journal recorded by one of two teenagers trying to solve a mystery in their home town. What made this interesting was that the second of the two teenagers told her story through short videos on a live website. The journal talks about a personal website where one of the pair is posting videos of their investigation that can only be viewed by typing in the correct password. The journal records the passwords, so the reader is able to go to the live website on their own computer, type in the password, and view the short videos.

In this way, the reader actually participates in the story just as the narrator participates. You have to deal with your own response to the video revelations rather than just having to accept the response of the story's narrator. I know of other past examples of this with movies and tv shows, but had not seen it before with a book. The concept, which tries to blur the distinction between revelation and discovery, is an interesting one with a lot of potential in this context. I suppose the whole postmodern problem of blurring of fiction with reality should be acknowledged, but this is not set up to be deceptive in the way that the Blair Witch websites were. This is obviously a fictional narrative, but uses a fun device to make you part of the story.

It was a short book, but fun to read. This is just book one of a series, so hopefully I can find some of the others around. ( )
  joshbush | Jul 1, 2013 |
There was a moment not long ago when I thought: This is it. I'm dead.

Skeleton Creek is a book about weird happenings going on in the small town of Skeleton Creek and Ryan and his best friend Sarah want to get to the bottom of it! While Sarah was in the dredge looking for the ghost of Old Joe Bush, Ryan was trying to catch up with her but was tripped by some one? or something? Ryan ended up breaking his leg and was bed ridden... will the ghost of old Joe Bush come for Ryan and Sarah because they were trespassing in his work space?

A breakthrough new series from bestselling author Patrick Carman, featuring text and technology in an innovative new way.

Strange things are happening in Skeleton Creek . . . and Ryan and Sarah are trying to get to the heart of it. But after an eerie accident leaves Ryan housebound and forbidden to see Sarah, their investigation takes two tracks: Ryan records everything in his journal, while Sarah uses her videocam to search things out. . .and then email the clips for Ryan to see.

In a new, groundbreaking format, the story is broken into two parts -- Ryan's text in the book, and Sarah's videos on a special website, with links and passwords given throughout the book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:51 -0400)

Although housebound following an eerie accident, teenaged Ryan continues to investigate the strange occurences in his hometown of Skeleton Creek, recording his findings in a journal and viewing email video clips sent by fellow detective Sarah. The reader may view Sarah's videos on a website by using links and passwords found in the text.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,157,870 books! | Top bar: Always visible