The Misadventures of Maude March by Audrey…

The Misadventures of Maude March (2005)

by Audrey Couloumbis

Sallie March is the most enjoyable young heroine I've come across since Falvia de Luce in The Sweetness At the Bottom of the Pie. Her sister Maude is great as well, making this a story not to be missed. ( )
  mysterymax | Mar 11, 2012 |
After the death of their parents, young sisters Sallie and Maude March are raised by their no-nonsense, tough-as-nails Aunt Ruthie, from whom they learn hard work and important life skills, like how to shoot a gun. However, when Sallie is 11 and Maude is 15 Aunt Ruthie is killed by a wild bullet walking away from the general store, and the girls are left alone in the world. Though they are determined to make the best of things, the March sisters soon find themselves in a disagreeable situation, as their temporary guardians attempt to force Maude to marry a much older man. Seeing no other solution, the girls set out in the middle of the night to find their one living relative - their mysterious Uncle Arlen.

A serious of mishaps and mistakes lead to a newspaper trail following the girls, naming Maude a horse thief, bank robber, and murderer, all before they reach their final destination.

Despite the bloodshed, The Misadventures of Maude March is a delightful and up-beat Western novel for young readers. Couloumbis has created two likable and realistic characters that will be easy for readers to relate to, and they provide wonderful examples of determination and strength of character as they work through a series of hardships. Sallie's narrative voice is consistent with her age and situation, without talking down to the intended readership. The Misadventures of Maude March is proving to be a fun way to introduce different genres to my fifth-grade student, and I would certainly recommend it to others. ( )
  Luxx | Apr 23, 2011 |
I stayed up late into the night finishing this book. It was so much fun to read I couldn't stop. I have an older sister myself so it was easy to imagine myself as Sallie and my sister as Maude. When I've read other books where characters were on the run I always enjoyed reading what they chose to take with them. Sallie made me laugh with all the things she packed! I cannot wait to read the next book. If you enjoy westerns and mishap characters who accidently become outlaws, you'll love this book!
  book_in_hand | Nov 1, 2010 |
A fun and funny adventure! The March sisters are well-rounded, believable, and relatable. I particularly liked how the character of Aunt Ruthie, who dies almost immediately, is revealed throughout the book through the sisters' memories and how they see elements of her personality in themselves and contrast her with others. The girls learn early in life that sometimes you don't really know or appreciate a person until they're gone. I agree with a previous reviewer that the ending came too quickly. It also didn't end cleanly--too many loose ends--but that makes sense knowing there's a sequel. Hooray for more adventures with Sallie and Maude! ( )
  osozereposo | Sep 26, 2010 |
Sallie, the comic relief, finds guidance from her dimers, books that tell tales of adventure of outlaws of the wild west. Her childlike credence in the fictional characters and their adventures creates humor for the reader especially while juxtaposed to Maude and Joe. The fast paced read mimics the pace of the characters in their search for family and relief. Real-life historical figures mentioned gives some historical perspective to the setting of the wild, wild west. Definitely a humorous read and continued in a second adventure even out farther west! ( )
  cablesclasses | Aug 7, 2009 |
For my husband, Akila. My husband is, as ever, my greatest supporter and champion. Put your feet up, honey, and let Maude and Sallie bring you a sarsaparilla.
The heat was awful.

Eleven-year-old Sallie March is a whip-smart tomboy and voracious reader of Western adventure novels. When she and her sister Maude escape their self-serving guardians for the wilds of the frontier, they begin an adventure the likes of which Sallie has only read about. This time however, the "wanted woman" isn't a dime-novel villian, it's Sallie's very own sister! What follows is not the lies the papers printed, but the honest-to-goodness truth of how two sisters went from being orphans to being outlaws—and lived to tell the tale!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:04 -0400)

After the death of the stern aunt who raised them since they were orphaned, eleven-year-old Sallie and her fifteen-year-old sister escape their self-serving guardians and begin an adventure resembling those in the dime novels Sallie loves to read.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,987,024 books! | Top bar: Always visible