The First Days: As the World Dies by…

The First Days: As the World Dies (original 2008; edition 2011)

by Rhiannon Frater

Member:krau0098
Title:The First Days: As the World Dies
Authors:Rhiannon Frater
Info:Tor Books (2011), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Already Read, Your library, Audio Book
Rating:***
Tags:apocalypse, horror, zombies

The First Days by Rhiannon Frater (2008)

English (37)  Italian (1)  All languages (38)
Really enjoyed the zombie story...I just didn't like the character of Jenni. Her jealousy of Katies friendship with others and the way she pouted about things just got on my nerves. I'll still read the rest of the series though. ( )
  Verkruissen | May 10, 2018 |
I have had this book for a while to read and was excited to finally get to read it. This was part of the bunch of books I got when I was in a huge zombie reading phase a few years ago. This ended up being a pretty typical zombie book. This book details the first days of a zombie outbreak and two women who struggle to survive it.

I listened to this on audiobook and the audiobook was well done. It wasn’t outstanding but it wasn’t bad either.

My main complaint about this book is that after the initial rush and struggle to survive the book gets very soap operaish. There is a ton of drama about which characters are hooking up with which other characters. Of course then there is jealousy over this and infighting. I would have rather heard more about the survival aspects and the understanding behind why this zombie plague happened.

This book doesn’t explore the “why” behind the zombie attacks at all. I found that frustrating, but I assume that will be covered in future books. Towards the end of this book they start to address roving bands of brigands and thieves who are attacking the region. It becomes clear that other humans, rather than the zombies, are becoming the focus of the story.

This book is very brutal and gory and doesn’t pull any punches. If you don’t like reading about gore and brutality I would stay away.

Overall this was an okay read that is pretty standard zombie fare. I wish the book had focused less on human relationship drama and more on survival and the why behind the attacks. By the end of the book I was kind of bored with it all. I don’t plan on continuing the series. ( )
  krau0098 | Dec 3, 2017 |
Great zombie story. I particularly liked the fact that the survivors don't know how to be in the new world and that several of the main characters are really struggling to keep their sanity in a world in which zombies roam. I also really liked the exploration of the sexuality of one of the main characters (won't say any more because I don't want to spoil the story!). Definitely looking forward to reading the rest of the books in this series! ( )
  J_Colson | Nov 30, 2017 |
This book was not good. I mean, it started out ok, then fell apart like paper in a rainstorm.

I really thought it would be my jam. Survival, zombies, and what should have been kick-ass heroines. Alas, it was not.

I wanted to love you, book, I really did. It's probably not you based on the other glowing reviews, it's me. ( )
  GovMarley | Aug 6, 2017 |
It's a zombie novel. It won't really mess with your expectations for a zombie novel - rather, it fulfills them. If you liked the TV series The Walking Dead, you'll probably enjoy this book.
The writing style is rather as if the author was watching a TV series and describing what happens on screen, as quickly and simply as possible. At times it's rather amateurish, and the depth of characterization doesn't go beyond what you'd expect from a TV show. The author's website notes that the story has actually been optioned for TV. I'm not at all surprised, because although the literary qualities of the book are limited, the story shows a keen sense of timing, a lot of good action, and the mix of humor and horror that every good zombie story needs.
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |

Rhiannon Fraterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to my mother, with much love and affection
So small.

On a beautiful morning Texas is attacked by the rising of the undead. Two women flee into the hills to try to rescue their families, and find other survivors.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,970,507 books! | Top bar: Always visible